Shi-Tzu Faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi-Tzu Faces

I was wondering what everyone uses to clean out their faces and also the muzzle area if they want that short as well.

Thanks

I dont like to shave the noses-but most of them have been done already. I think it looks better If it is done like jodi murphys shihtzu dvd ,with thinning shears.I also like how she uses the thinners to do the top og the head it looks great!

Comment

Last Seminar

I watched Jodi Murphy do a face w/her thinning shears - a detail and a larger thinner. I bought both shears and have changed the way I do faces. I have to say, they come out much better. I had 2 pairs of thinners already but they were totally different shears and I would never have come out w/the same results with the ones I had. Probably why so many of us have so many shears. I'm sure the technique is on one of her videos.

Comment

Could someone explain exactly how it's done? (I ask because I used to work with someone that did faces with thinning shears and I'd never seen faces done that way before or since.)
        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by bednbones View Post
          I watched Jodi Murphy do a face w/her thinning shears - a detail and a larger thinner. I bought both shears and have changed the way I do faces. I have to say, they come out much better. I had 2 pairs of thinners already but they were totally different shears and I would never have come out w/the same results with the ones I had. Probably why so many of us have so many shears. I'm sure the technique is on one of her videos.
          Yup! its the shihtzu video. I thought it really came out good!!!

Comment

I always use blenders to do faces. If there is a lot of length to take off, I'll do the initial shaping with shears, then the finish is all blenders.

It really comes out looking so much more plush when trying to achieve the perfect teddy bear head/face. I use this method with shih's, pom's, poo's and mixes

Comment

Have you seen those dogs in the catalogs for puppia and pinkaholic? they are so cute, it's like, how they do that? Jodi Murphy's videos are great! and I think ,if you purchase her shih-tzu video, you will be pleased on how will she explains everything

Comment

I agree, Jodi Murphy's videos are awesome. She explains very well. Her Shi Tzu face and head comes out great! Unfortunately no one around here wants the body and legs done like that. I wish they would because it looks sooo good, but they all want short easy care legs. I used to cringe at doing Shi Tzu faces, but not any more! Also, for the Shi Tzu's that get a close cut (smoothie) and if they want the top of the head very short, don't use a #7 going with the grain, use a 3 3/4 FC against the grain, it keeps those ones with the cowlicks from looking uneven, and it's easier to blend that little mustache/beard into the side of the face. It also just looks a little softer. I love hearing everyone's different techniques.

Comment

thinning shears is what I use,if the face is extremely long I will cut it back with scissors then shape and blend with my thinners

Comment

If an owner wants a tight or clean face, I go with a #7 reverse- carefully. I will just graze the bones under the eyes and across the sides of the muzzle- standing my clippers up on the tip of the blade as I go across the top of the nose and cheeks, and then with the growth of coat under the lower jaw. Then I tighten all those areas up with thinners to avoid the pits and choppies that often end up happening as you run the clipper over the finer bones of the face. I do this same thing for all of my Sporting breeds- especially the furry Cockers so they keep a nice, soft and "mushy" muzzle. That's just how I do it, everyone's different!
                    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Depends on what you are working with and length of the body. Most of the time I do one blade length longer on the muzzle than the head, which is often determined by the length of the body. However I have done sort of like a poodle face on shitzus where the owners love the longer length on the body but hate how dirty their faces/beards get. I dont have any pix, but you shave the sides of the face and muzzle against the grain with a 7f(I sometimes will do a 10 on the muzzle).. scissor over the eyes and scissor or blend with clippers straight up the sides of the face and take the hair hanging off the sides of the face and may need some blending with some thinners.

Comment

I always use a 10 reverse to scoop out the stop and under the eyes. Since most of the Shihs I do come in with runny eyes and tear stains due to hair poking them in the eyes, I try to get it as short as possible.

Allowing the hair to grow out would be nice, but unfortunately it just gets all infected and filled with eye gunk and stink on pet dogs that are only groomed every 6-12 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by D'tails View Post
                          I always use a 10 reverse to scoop out the stop and under the eyes. Since most of the Shihs I do come in with runny eyes and tear stains due to hair poking them in the eyes, I try to get it as short as possible.

Allowing the hair to grow out would be nice, but unfortunately it just gets all infected and filled with eye gunk and stink on pet dogs that are only groomed every 6-12 weeks.
                          It has been my experience that the scoopin out of the eyes and nose is what is causing to eye gunk, etc. because the short hairs growing back is what is causing the irritation to the eyes. Once the hair is long enough to lay down, it is less likely to irritate the eyes. Even my own female was having a lot of trouble, and I was grooming all the time, and medicating her eyes all the time, and decided to let the hair grow out, and the problem cleared up by doing that. I have more positive results from it, the bad results, as long a the owners don't keep cutting the hair themselves, keeping the problem going.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyscarletthawk View Post
                            Depends on what you are working with and length of the body. Most of the time I do one blade length longer on the muzzle than the head, which is often determined by the length of the body. However I have done sort of like a poodle face on shitzus where the owners love the longer length on the body but hate how dirty their faces/beards get. I dont have any pix, but you shave the sides of the face and muzzle against the grain with a 7f(I sometimes will do a 10 on the muzzle).. scissor over the eyes and scissor or blend with clippers straight up the sides of the face and take the hair hanging off the sides of the face and may need some blending with some thinners.
                            When I do clean faces on them, I use a 7f reverse too on the sides of the face, and a 10 on the muzzle.

Comment

To scoop out the stop and corners of the eyes, I always use a toe blade. The dogs don't seem to mind it as much, and you have more control because the blade is so narrow. If the owner wants a short face, I use whatever blade length I need to, skimming down the sides of the muzzle, and under the ears. Then top thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X