Busters Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busters Law

I don't know how many people are familliar with this law. It was enacted not that long ago in NY state in response to a teen age dousing a cat in kerosene and setting him on fire. It is now a felony in NY state to commit such acts of animal abuse and a local man in my area was just convected using this law. They are trying to strengthen the law now as well. Currently someone convicted under Busters law can face a $10K fine and 2 years in prison. From what I have read they are trying to expand the sentence to 4 years and have a psycological work up done on anyone convicted. The teen who killed Buster has since been imprisoned for more violent crimes including rape and the illegal imprisonment of a 12 year old girl. Most recently a man (one I mentioned recently convicted) killed 2 of his estranged wifes dogs, one by drowning in a bath tub and the other I can't remember how. The third he severely injured by holding under scalding water. A poodle named Carmella who is now, I believe, up for adoption. Though this law isn't perfect, I feel it is a step in the right direction towards tougher poenalties for those that purposely hurt animals. I thought I would share it with you if anyone was interested. If you google it you can read more about it. And if you live in NY Tedisco is trying to get the law ammended for tougher penalties and you can write your support to him if you choose.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I agree definitely a step in the right direction. There is definitely a link between torture of animals and later torture of humans. At the very least catching this sort of thing early in a persons life will either keep them off the street or allow them the psychological help they obviously need.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

Comment

i know most serial killers started off by torturing animals,so i do think they need laws like busters law,not only for animals but for people too

Comment

Originally posted by rainingcats&dogs View Post
        i know most serial killers started off by torturing animals,so i do think they need laws like busters law,not only for animals but for people too
        They do have laws like this for humans "Megans Law" and "Adams Law" are only a couple. It's rather sad that horrific, sadistic acts have to be committed against anything (human or animal) before harsher punishments are used for future sadists.
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

We like to think of these laws as a step in the right direction. But they aren't. They're really no more effective than closing the barn door after the horses have all escaped.

The real step in the right direction is to identify these people when they are still young enough to be treated effectively. Once they progress to this point, there's no hope. But early intervention can make a difference. And if it doesn't, long term institutionalizing them so they can't do any harm is really the right thing to do. They are mentally ill, not evil. And they need to be treated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
            I agree definitely a step in the right direction. There is definitely a link between torture of animals and later torture of humans. At the very least catching this sort of thing early in a persons life will either keep them off the street or allow them the psychological help they obviously need.
            I'm on the fence about this kind of law. I can see where you are coming from but, also see where the animal rights freaks could abuse the system.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
            X