• Show
Clear All

• Is this some kind of a joke?

best of craigslist
    PET GROOMING (JACKSONVILLE)
    Date: 2010-03-19, 1:06PM EDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

TIFFANY'S CLIP JOINT OFF OF MONUMENT AND ST.JOHNS BLUFF

I AM OFFERING ALL BATHS FOR $10 WITH THE MENTIONING OF THIS ADD ON SATURDAYS

AND ALL GROOMING FOR $30 ONLY ON SATURDAYS AND WITH THE MENTIONING OF THIS ADD

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT GIVE ME A CALL BACK AT 904-814-0637

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Stephen: Seeing we had an increase of bottom level pricing in 2009 in our pricing surveys, it certainly could be. I saw a sign the other in our area saying all dogs $25 or less.

wow.. low balling for sure..

I do some baths for lower than that but key word would be "starting at".. also she spelled Ad Add.. which makes me think her spelling is about as good as her math...

Comment

WOW... pricing like that...

kind of makes you feel like you are back in the day, anyone else remember A2 Oster clippers & Oster table dryer's. I still have a few old Admiral cage dryers (wont use them but they bring back memories)
      almost every poodle got a NY'er, and they cost about $15-18.... makes one want to go out and buy a tie dye and sew bandanas in the outer seams of your jeans for real bell bottoms... ROFL

Comment

I had a lady come into my shop asking about the price for two shih tzus. I'm probably the most expensive in my area. She wanted to know if she could get a two dog discount (no) money off if I didn't bathe them (no, I bathe ALL the dogs I groom) money off if she didn't get the blueberry facial (nope included) money off for no ears or nails done (no).

Then she said she posted an ad on craigslist looking for a groomer who would not charge her more than $25 for both together (I charge nearly double that for ONE).

I looked at her and said, "Do you even KNOW what goes into grooming? It cost me more than that for just one gallon of shampoo!"

She got an education from me. I must have had extra time that day or something...lol. I think I did a rundown of exactly what goes into grooming a dog, and listed nearly every bill I had to pay out of that. I bet she wished she never set foot in my shop.

Comment

I might just collect a lot of Petedge and Ryans

catalogs and rip out the pages for shampoos I use etc. Hand them to people and say LOOK! This is what a Gallon of this Exceptional shampoo costs me a gallon. LOOK this is what these clippers and blades cost me. Maybe they think shampoos cost the same as those $1 Suaves do at Walgreens or something. Then we have the generator and gas and, and , and on and on. Gas is going up again just in time for my A/C to run from 1st dog to last; that costs me more per dog. I use Blueberry facial but don't charge extra for it.

Comment

ive seen several ad in my area on CL offering $10 baths and clips so cheap that i would be scared to death to see the results. Ive also seen some advertising bathing and grooming from people that "have never worked with animals but surely can cut hair" because apparently its just soooo easy. Considering how many groomers are already set up here and the amount of people that are now just picking up clippers and going at it its no surprise that my own client base has done exceedingly well thanks to my vet having to patch up the constant accidents coming through the door. Sorry i went off a little bit lol, raw nerve of mine lately.

Comment

Good question!

Do you think they post ads on CL looking for someone to cut their hair for $5.00? If they don't want to pay for grooming, they should get short-haired dogs that they can bathe themselves!

Comment

Have a friend starting work at a shop that I saw a post that offered a rainny day special of 50% off any groom. Hahah, I called my friend and asked if she is working for 25% on rainny days?

Comment

They are probably trying to get new clients. I am willing to bet it is just to get them in the door or perhaps they are for a trainee to work on?? Or perhaps they are not good groomers and the only way they can get clients is to be cheap, who knows without calling them up and asking them directly. I don't worry. I am mobile and I charge more than twice that for a small dog. I get it and get tips on top of it and I am so booked I can rarely take a new client. I get comments as to why I am 'so expensive' yet when I tell them I can't get them in for 3 weeks, they STILL choose to be on a waiting list. I just enjoy it while I can and am thankful to be in business with great clients. I find that if it is a referral they don't care about pricing, if it is a caller that sees me on the road, they almost always expect me to be cheap...hmmm, I thought my graphics looked nicer than that LOL!

Comment

I remember all of that - oh oh - are we getting older ??????

Originally posted by RPS View Post
                    WOW... pricing like that...

kind of makes you feel like you are back in the day, anyone else remember A2 Oster clippers & Oster table dryer's. I still have a few old Admiral cage dryers (wont use them but they bring back memories)
                    almost every poodle got a NY'er, and they cost about $15-18.... makes one want to go out and buy a tie dye and sew bandanas in the outer seams of your jeans for real bell bottoms... ROFL

heh heh - I loved my bell bottoms with bandanas sewn into the leg...

Comment

I see adds all the time on CL for $25 grooms and they do house call. These people must drive amish buggies and not have to fill their tanks with gas.

Comment

Originally posted by SiberianLover View Post
                        I had a lady come into my shop asking about the price for two shih tzus. I'm probably the most expensive in my area. She wanted to know if she could get a two dog discount (no) money off if I didn't bathe them (no, I bathe ALL the dogs I groom) money off if she didn't get the blueberry facial (nope included) money off for no ears or nails done (no).

Then she said she posted an ad on craigslist looking for a groomer who would not charge her more than $25 for both together (I charge nearly double that for ONE).

I looked at her and said, "Do you even KNOW what goes into grooming? It cost me more than that for just one gallon of shampoo!"

She got an education from me. I must have had extra time that day or something...lol. I think I did a rundown of exactly what goes into grooming a dog, and listed nearly every bill I had to pay out of that. I bet she wished she never set foot in my shop.
                        See, it's all YOUR fault.

You don't need to use that expensive dog shampoo. Dawn dish soap will do. If the dog's fur is really dirty break out the OxyClean and the green scrubber pads. If the dog looks clean, just spritz it with some cheap perfume from CVS, the customer will never know the difference.

All of those expensive shears you told her about? You can get a set of scissors at Walmart for $2.

Those expensive clippers with all of those blades? Why you can get a set of clippers with ONE blade for $20, again at Walmart.

Don't worry about the nails, tell the customer that they will wear down if you take the dog for walks on the sidewalk.

Blueberry facials? Hey, we're talking about a DOG. Put that facial stuff in a paper cup, the customer wants to use it on herself since it comes FREE with the groom!

And all of that training you have, it's a waste of money. ANY IDIOT can cut a dog's hair!

Yes, follow all of the advice above, and you can be the low-cost leader on your town's local Craigslist!
                        "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                        Laura Lee Ray
                        I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                          catalogs and rip out the pages for shampoos I use etc. Hand them to people and say LOOK! This is what a Gallon of this Exceptional shampoo costs me a gallon. LOOK this is what these clippers and blades cost me. Maybe they think shampoos cost the same as those $1 Suaves do at Walgreens or something. Then we have the generator and gas and, and , and on and on. Gas is going up again just in time for my A/C to run from 1st dog to last; that costs me more per dog. I use Blueberry facial but don't charge extra for it.
                          ooooohhh idea for new brochure....

Comment

If it weren't for the fear of what a groomer that thinks this low of their quality of work . I'd be tempted to show up with as many big hairy muddy thick coated dogs I could find .. 10 bucks each YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS..I would borrow dogs for that event lol

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                              If it weren't for the fear of what a groomer that thinks this low of their quality of work . I'd be tempted to show up with as many big hairy muddy thick coated dogs I could find .. 10 bucks each YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS..I would borrow dogs for that event lol

and insist on staying.. being a helicopter mom..

Comment

Working...
                              X