When you have "one of those days..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you have "one of those days..."

Why can't customers be more understanding? I don't know what made me think of this, but a few months ago, I had a REALLY BAD "one of those days." Everything from excess dogs (that was my fault-trying to please everyone), explosive diahrrea, horrible tongue bite on very light colored golden-after the bath, of course, and I can't really remember what else. Every dog took longer than it should have, and I know a few of those people haven't been back. I often wonder when a customer can see how flustered I am, and I explain how my day is going, why they can't be more understanding. This happened with one customer last week too, and it is always on Saturdays. My groomer was sick, so I took a couple of her dogs that were easier, and I rescheduled the haircut dogs. I had a bather, and a lab and beagle called in, so I took them too-well, the lab was a jerk for his nails, but other than running over them with a brush and doing nails and ears, I didn't have to touch them much-so not a lot of time there. My problem client was this guy with a maltese bath (regular customer). I admit it took longer than normal, but I explained to the guy that I didn't want to reschedule because Saturday appointments are really hard to come by and that we were already booked up for the next several Saturdays. He was miffed and stiffed me, lol. I guess in hindsight, I should have given him the option to reschedule the appointment out, but I new the dog would have been matted, and she is a PITA anyway, so I didn't. I don't know, I just get really irritated when customers don't understand. I don't WANT to keep Fluffy here any longer than I need to, and I REALLY try hard to make sure dogs get in and out in a timely fashion, so why do they have to be jerks when things aren't going good? I don't really need an answer from anyone here, I just needed to vent, lol.

I'm not a customer but I DO understand. Everyone has those "everything that can go wrong will go wrong" days and that's what I tell any client that thinks they're gonna get to wear their a$$hole suit in my shop. Too bad for them! It's not like washing a car. They're living, breathing beings and people have to be more flexible!
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I think we can all relate...

I had a "worst day of my career" day last year. An 80 lb dog cow kicked me while on the table and broke my finger, I stabbed myself in the face with my 10" shears and I bled all over the bichon I was grooming, 2 employees called out that day, and I got bitten by a stinking shih tzu. The little shih bit me twice, once on each wrist. Blood everywhere! And the owner of the dog was pissed because I didn't finish the groom! I told him he was lucky I got my blood off of him! (I had stitches in both wrists).

OH, and then a little old lady client (she's about 80) came in that evening and said, "You sure are lucky to get to play with dogs all day and get paid well for it." (remember the mental picture - ice on finger, both wrists bandaged like I tried to kill myself (the thought did enter my mind briefly) and a band-aid on my chin.) I think I remember offering her the front door key. Hmmmm.

Mama said there'd be days like this!! I am so glad this has happened once in 8 years!!!!

Comment

I agree- and like you I often look at myself and think, "what could I have done differently to maybe make it go better"? I think that means that we really DO care about our work so much, that we let it bug us when things go wrong. And more so for me,,even if I had never been a groomer or knew how hard the work is, there's no way in heck I would ever be rude to my groomer when I am leaving my pet with them for care. These people don't know a person's true nature behind closed doors, so why add insult to the equation? To be treated that way only breeds frustration and resentment in some people, and in things all people should just be nicer to others anyway- so... I mean it doesn't even make sense to risk being unfairly nasty to someone who we are relying on to take good care of a pet who can't tell us how their day went. I have heard others ask the same thing; wouldn't you want to be nice to your groomer and your day care provider above all else? I know people have bad days,,,but where's the resolve, not sweating the small stuff and "sucking it up and pressing on" sometimes? Our jobs are hard enough, the magnitude of which most people have no idea...
        that's my vent!
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Because we're not doctors, lawyers, or some other highly paid, educated whatchamacallit. We're just like waitresses, you know---and we're over-paid to boot!

My co-worker used to be a waitress, and the stories that girl tells me! She was called the F-word one morning. OVER A SIDE OF BACON!!! The woman called her the F-word in front of her own children. Nice way to teach your children by example. That was her last day as a waitress and I am still kicking her for not telling that lady off. She didn't want to burn any bridges in case the grooming job she was starting full-time with me the next day didn't work out. Shoot, I would have given her MY DOGS to groom, just so she could tell off that lady!

I've had a few stuffy clients, but for the most part they've been understanding. Thankfully.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Couldn't you have somehow used that "explosive diahrrea" to your advantge? (Or was it one of the dog's that had it?)

I had one of "those days" in early January, and to top it off...decided to raise prices by 5 bucks on several clients that were still paying what I charged when I started grooming in 1860.

So one gal w/ 3 very difficult dogs (and a degree of difficulty herself) raises her bushy eyebrows, gets all huffy and puffy, and says "fine, THERE GOES YOUR TIP".
            I couldn't freakin believe it!!!! Not that she wasn't tipping me...but that she said that. Sure enough...no tip, and that's cool.

So I groomed her dogs again today, and thought "what the hale"...so I raised her ANOTHER 15 bucks.
            She just stood there...frozen over her checkbook, pen in hand, lips all pursed...you know the type...like if they wait long enough to write the check...you'll actually LOWER THE PRICE, lol!
            She finally says "you raised me last month...is this ANOTHER RAISE"?
            I said "nope, my tip went away, and now it wants to come back".

I told her I was just kiddin, and she really needs to lighten up.
            (PS...my tip did come back today. )
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

LONG as usual and a rant to boot!

4sibes, you just kill me. I can't even take a drink when I see your name at the top pf a post because I am afraid it will end up all over my keyboard!

And speaking of idiot clients, this is what I dealt with:

Man, I had a real winner last week. Brought me a dog with a few matts, I felt them, told her I would have to shave it down. She gives me a sob story and of course, me being the Dumb *ss I can be at times falls for it it. I tried to get the matting out for 3 hours and had to struggle with everything else on the dog, nails, bath, brushing, you name it. So 9:30 at night comes and I tell her to pick up her dog, the poor thing has had enough and I would work an hour on Sunday to get him evened up and get his feet done. She has no problem at all with it and is happy that I worked so long on him. She is happy to see him when she gets here and I showed her the feces trapped in his butt from the matts there.
              Next day I have a few comments on my facebook page from someone in her family saying what a hack job I did, and then more comments form "new fans" I had to block 7 people from my facebook fan page! Then the woman herself is at my daughters work yelling at her and cursing a blue streak in the middle of the coffee shop....as some of you might realize by now, I have a temper, I go from slightly ticked off to ready to kill in about 2 minutes, and after my daughter calling me and telling me what was going on in the coffee shop I was in the parking lot in less than 5 minutes. She had vanished. However the police were there and I know them all. I told them they better have a talk with her real soon, because she knows where I live - if she has a problem, and if she starting going nuts on my daughter again, I would pound her into the ground, and yes, I really did threaten to shove her dog and her family problems where the sun don't shine and her car too. I never got paid, I got bad mouthed and I was trying to do something nice for someone! Well you know what, screw that! I am done being nice.
              If your dog is matted you are signing a shave down form and a shave down you will get. Pictures will be taken! If it is severely matted you will pay more, mouth off and I may double it. She is lucky I didn't take her right arm for payment or cut her tongue out! There is no excuse for verbally assaulting a teenager at work who had nothing to do with the issue at had.

I tried calling her 3 times to bring the dog in so I could even him up and give him his report card, and get my payment...no calls back! I hope she does take it to one of the "better more educated groomer" so they can fix my free haircut, maybe I can even read about it on here LOL! They are welcome to this nut job ( seriously I hope none of you have to deal with her LOL!) I am mean, but not that mean
              Needless to say I have her name and her family's names written down and I will not touch any of their dogs ever again.
              That was my bad day experience that topped the cake. I even hear her name and I cringe and get pissy right off the bat!
              Luckily for me my clients defended me on my facebook page, and I got calls saying I do a fine job and thye know I am new and they are happy with the way I treat their dogs, and they like that I am down to earth, so out of some bad things, something good came out of it too.... anyways..there's my vent for the month, now I'll try to play nice again.

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
              Couldn't you have somehow used that "explosive diahrrea" to your advantge? (Or was it one of the dog's that had it?)

I had one of "those days" in early January, and to top it off...decided to raise prices by 5 bucks on several clients that were still paying what I charged when I started grooming in 1860.

So one gal w/ 3 very difficult dogs (and a degree of difficulty herself) raises her bushy eyebrows, gets all huffy and puffy, and says "fine, THERE GOES YOUR TIP".
              I couldn't freakin believe it!!!! Not that she wasn't tipping me...but that she said that. Sure enough...no tip, and that's cool.

So I groomed her dogs again today, and thought "what the hale"...so I raised her ANOTHER 15 bucks.
              She just stood there...frozen over her checkbook, pen in hand, lips all pursed...you know the type...like if they wait long enough to write the check...you'll actually LOWER THE PRICE, lol!

Comment

when you have "one of those days....."

Customers I can excuse , it's dealing with mean co-workers that makes me sad.

Comment

want to hear about some really good days

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post

Hi 4sibes, just reading about all of these horrible days...I am just starting out and I guess have been naive to think that everything is going to go well...right now I'm more worried about dealing with aggressive dogs and not showing my fear to the dog (I have 2 large dogs, my son's pit bull and a bossy little pek-a-poo - none are aggressive) ...never really gave it much thought about dealing with ignorant people that often while grooming. I have never treated my groomer with disrespect. In my current job, I deal with the public each and every day and many, many days it's hard to bite my tongue, I also have to deal with difficult and unaccountable co-workers...that's why I thought I would change jobs and do something I love..but am I jumping from the frying pan into the fire. So please, please fellow groomers, tell me some good things about this grooming profession.

By the way 4sibes, you need to write a book about dog grooming - you are funny...it would probably be a best seller!

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                    Because we're not doctors, lawyers, or some other highly paid, educated whatchamacallit. We're just like waitresses, you know---and we're over-paid to boot!

My co-worker used to be a waitress, and the stories that girl tells me! She was called the F-word one morning. OVER A SIDE OF BACON!!! The woman called her the F-word in front of her own children. Nice way to teach your children by example. That was her last day as a waitress and I am still kicking her for not telling that lady off. She didn't want to burn any bridges in case the grooming job she was starting full-time with me the next day didn't work out. Shoot, I would have given her MY DOGS to groom, just so she could tell off that lady!

I've had a few stuffy clients, but for the most part they've been understanding. Thankfully.

Tammy in Utah
                    HA HA HA I was a waitress ,I waited on a softball team one night .A bunch of drunken idiots that thought they were in a strip bar danced on the table ,made a mess hit on me to the point of harassment grabbed my butt and left me an .88 cent tip.I chased their mini van down with that handfull of change and pitched it at the windshield-not one of those men got out.I stood there to make sure..
                    DID I ever tell you how much I love dogs and NOT humans? my worst day with dogs is a hell of a lot better than any regular day with hungry grumpy people.

Comment

Kookanana...It's been my experience that you can make almost every day...in almost any job...a horrible one, if you choose to.
                      The opposite is true as well...you can find at least one lil thing...even in a horrible day, to turn inside-out...and laugh about.

I honestly never chose to be a dog groomer...it just sort of chose me 30 years ago. I found I liked it, and with liking it...came the large number of owners I have grown to know quite well over the years, and a ton of fun stories and experiences to share. I like to laugh...and dog grooming makes me laugh.

Like most anything else...you set the tone and you just might find your tone is contagious...so set a good tone,...and they will follow.
                      Not all of them...all of the time, of course...but the ones that fall by the wayside are prolly just looking for a different tone.

You will attract what you project.

And.....as far as needing a dose of Pollyanna...that's why the forum has the Groomer Giggles and Random Acts of Kindness categories.

The dogs aren't gonna bite you. Just start w/ that attitude. It's true 99.5% of the time.
                      (And that .5 one that does slip through...it only hurts for a day or so....and gives you a wonderful opportunity to post about it, and we all feel real sorry for you, and share our dog bite stories, and it's kind of like a weird bonding experience for groomers. Make sure to post pics of the wound too...that goes a longgggg way for sympathy points!)
                      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Thanks 4Sibes, I am a very positive person, just over think things some times....my instructor reminded me this is not rocket science, if I have the passion and desire, I'll succeed. I truly love dogs and if I had more property, would probably be involved in dog rescues...a few of my little clients have nipped me when clipping nails...that' was nothing, I owned a schnauzer who used to run under the bed to hide and would take your arm off if you tried to get her out....not sure how many large dogs I will be able to do anyway since I'm working by myself...I'll check out the "giggles" forum when I need some levity.....or just read your posts.....thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kookanana View Post
                          Thanks 4Sibes, I am a very positive person, just over think things some times....my instructor reminded me this is not rocket science, if I have the passion and desire, I'll succeed. I truly love dogs and if I had more property, would probably be involved in dog rescues...a few of my little clients have nipped me when clipping nails...that' was nothing, I owned a schnauzer who used to run under the bed to hide and would take your arm off if you tried to get her out....not sure how many large dogs I will be able to do anyway since I'm working by myself...I'll check out the "giggles" forum when I need some levity.....or just read your posts.....thanks.
                          Kookanana,, it's not the big dogs you need to worry about, it's the cute little munchkins who try to take a hunk out of your hand when you least expect it,,,I have been bitten several times, but always by the small dogs. Cesar explains it as "talking with their teeth". I have one little poodle/terrier mix was was always going after me, one day I got fed up with her attitude and stuck my finger in her mouth when she started acting all bad and mean,, confused the heck out of her, she no longer tries to bite me,,,lol. I would'nt recommend sticking my finger in the mouths of all snappy dogs, but most of the time , they are just bluffing.

Comment

Wait, we're -supposed- to post about bites? I was bitten last Friday but I figured I'd better not post about it snce it was a pitbull that got me. I didn't want anyone to think I was prejudiced. I am a little gunshy around a few of the bigger dogs at the moment, though. Getting drug around the salon with my arm in a dog's mouth has put me off just a bit lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X