Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #7 reverse ?

ok another question Im sorry.
    I have a beagle tomorrow and hes a # 7 reverse ,10 to smooth I have never shaved a beagle-I dont want it to look dumb
    can I just do a 15 with the grain ? I hate reverse clipping cause it seems like its never smooth and you have to go over it in this case with a 10 to smooth.Also when I took the reservation the owner said the tail was shaved last time and she didnt like that.well I wouldnt have done the tail and there was no notation on the card about the tail so I dont know what she did I assume shaved it with a 7 ? anyhow the owner said it was too skinny and she didnt want it shave that short this time but she did want it shaved. what would you do with it?
    Thank you sooo much you guys are the best!!!!

A 15....ouch...I would do a 7f with the growth

Comment

Well, others may give you different advice, but here goes. I do find reverse clipping to actually be smoother most of the time, no lines. But if you want to go with the grain, here are a few suggestions. I like to use reverse clipping to smooth and remove lines, so I would do a 10 first with the grain and then use the 7F in reverse to take out any lines. OR, if you have a trimmer like a Chromado, Speed Feed, Moser, etc, use it on the 9 setting and you'll get a really nice smooth clip. On coats that I have found a 10 leaves lines many times I would use a 9 as it never seemed to leave as many lines. Since I have Speed Feeds I haven't used a 9 or 10 on a dog in years on the body as the trimmers leave a much smoother finish. Maybe someone else has more advice for you.
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
        I like to use reverse clipping to smooth and remove lines, so I would do a 10 first with the grain and then use the 7F in reverse to take out any lines.
        That's the way I do it too. Makes them nice and smooth.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

Try a 4 in reverse first. Card out afterward. You can always go shorter, but sometimes i like a 4 or 5 better on a short haired dog.

Comment

im not sure about beagles but ive done alot of bassetts lately and ive found doing a 5 backwards (on the back and sides only lol) and then skimming the legs and base of the tail with a 7 or even a 10 depending on how it looks. The only reason i i refuse to go super short is because of where im located and im afraid of sunburns.

Comment

I find that reverse clipping comes out a lot smooth, especially on smooth coated dogs, which have thick coats, like beagles. Bathe first and it should come off easily, and smooth out with the 10, which should not be a big issue to do. Ask how long they want the tail left.

Comment

I shave pugs with a 7 reverse all the time... I think it usually gives a smoother finish. I'll touck up with a 10 as needed.

I really think the 15 may be a little much.

I would start with a longer blade - you can always take more off, but you can't put it back! lol

With the tail, I would start with a 4, see how much that takes off and go shorter as need - she may just want a "neaten up" on it.

Good luck!

Comment

I can't imagine shaving a dog with a 10 or 15 blade. I do have a couple of clients who shave their labs (?) and I get a nice, smooth and very short haircut with a 7F with the grain. Bath and dry with hv dryer, then give the haircut. That step makes a big difference. You can scissor the tail into a nice trimmed tail..don't shave any part of the tail with a clipper, don't shave the head and scissor the legs..whatever hair there is to scissor in the first place.

Comment

Thank you soo much everyone!!!! you guys rock!!!!!

Comment

I do a few 7 rev dogs and what I do is a full finish cut before the bath then all those little prickly hair slivers are washed and blown off of the dog once the dogs is dry run a brush over it or furminator tool briefly blow off loose hairs .... perfect... takes a whole 5 min to finish

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                        if you have a trimmer like a Chromado, Speed Feed, Moser, etc,
                        This may be a dumb question But what are these?

Comment

I normally use a 10 with and will go over any lines with a 5 reverse to smooth them out - this is for Labs and Pugs, etc.

Just be sure to bathe, dry and back brush the dog lighty first, since dirty, greasy short hair will not feed through a blade since it hugs the body too tightly.

Comment

all that worry and he was a no show .
                            called 3 hours later wanted to know If i could still get to him.I couldnt I was in the middle of a golden shave down (that came out very nice I might add.)
                            I had a cocker the other day that was #a 10 shave down has been getting it that way for the last 6 years. I did an 8 1/2 .he had bad bad skin.I didnt think they would notice. I asked if they liked it and was it short enough and they said they loved it.(see spinning around the table thread LOL) SO maybe he book for next week and i can try some of the tips you guys gave me! thank you so much!!!!!

Comment

I love #5 and #7 reverse. Gets them TONS smoother than going with the grain.
                              NO LINES! Especially on a big wiggly dog like a lab!

I love #7 reverse on schnauzers. For white schnauzers #5 rev.

Comment

Working...
                              X