spinning around the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinning around the table

Ok as you may know im new to this and I had the worst dog today I had a moment of "why do I want to do this"It was another cocker I swear these dogs want me to die.
    Ok the dog was sweet when you didnt want to groom him but as soon as he went on the table he turned evil. trying to bite me everything I did.he was a # 10 total strip.all over.So he would sit down and scoot all the way to the edge of the table I had to grab him several times because I thought he was going over then he bit me.everytime. I must have played ring around the table with this dog for 2 hours.I muzzled him then he couldnt breath or acted like it anyhow.so I took it off I fed him a treat and he was an angel till I quit giving him them then he was himself again.agggh .He is 12 years old and I really would never sedate him if he were my dog and he needs to be groomed so what do you do with this kind of dog? he tolerated me for about 45 minutes then he was done.I got the precut done bath ,dry and his nails and part of his shave down then thats it no more.and surprisingly enough his feet were the best looking cocker feet ive done all week.maybe it was the fear of lingering over his feet that he was going to bite me .lol.
    what is the best way to handle a dog of this age and temperment? grooming him was very trying .and chasing him was much worse do you think I could put up anoher grooming arm and hook his behind in it? at least that may end me chasing him around and him sitting down and sccoting to the edge.

Just a few words..you NEED muzzles and a support system like Groomers Helper or LIPS System. It's money well spent to use these products and control your dogs, I could not groom without them.

Comment

I looked at the groomers helper website .....I couldnt figure out how the thing worked ....whats a lips?

Comment

You don't have to know how the Groomer's helper works, just know that it does and it also comes with a great DVD with all the instructions you need, and if you still have questions, all you have to do is call them. They will help you. Your biggest issue might be getting Chuck to stop helping you. Guaranteed, the Groomer's Helper will stop the spinning, table bailing, chasing, scooting, sitting, ring around the table, and tremendously reduce the amount of time you need to groom such dogs like the Cocker you describe. It also does a great job keeping the bitey end out of reach. Even better, if you buy one and don't like it, you can send it back and they will do right by you and refund.

The LIPS system is at www.hairvac.com

Comment

The lips system is like two grooming arms that meet and connect together with places to attach the grooming loops and belly bands so they can't sit down or dance around the table. When I get guys who want to play the fool for me, I hold their chin so they have to look at me, I give them my best" I'm the big dog stare" and a firm NO! Usually works!

Comment

Groomer's Helper all the way! You won't regret it!
            Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

I totally recommend the GH also! Don't let the look of it fool you. It is really easy to use, comes w/a DVD that a 3 yr old could understand and then there is Chuck (the inventor) who is so very willing to lend his sage advice.

Give it a try. He stands by his product so you won't loose anything if you decide it's not for you and want to return it.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Here is a example of the LIP system, I like it cause it has different harnesses and straps, I use the harness to trim feet making it easy to do.
                Attached Files

Comment

if you don't have the money to buy the groomers helper ..buy the halti head leads
                  http://www.kvsupply.com/Shop?actn=qu...FQ8eDQodlVLcbQ I have used these to control even the worst behaved dogs in the past they come in various sized like muzzles do. I hook them to my grooming arm to make this connection just use zip ties place one around the arm and then loop another through that one to create a separate loop. I remember the most severe case of difficult dog I had used this method with I almost fired the client, her bouv broke my table in half by pulling the arm so hard.. once I started this method for difficult dogs they became no issue to groom ever again. for spinners you can add another arm to control the back end.

I start this method training for the dog start with larger muzzle make sure the dog can pant naturally place the halti over the muzzle if need be . dog should also be secured with grooming loop as normal

Comment

Ditto on the Groomer's Helper. And as already stated, you don't need to worry about how it works, just that it does work. And, as also stated, you get a DVD and Chuck will give you all the help you need.

Don't be misled by anyone who tells you how horrible it is to tie dogs down like that, either. You are not tying the dog down. It's no different than putting a horse in a cross-tie. You don't have to have the tether cord pulled up tight all the time, and you don't have to put every dog in full restraint. That's something I rarely do, maybe once or twice a year. When I have a dog that's good for everything but nails, for example, I leave the tether loose except when I'm doing the nails. Then I pull it tight, do the nails, and release it.

It's not rocket science either. Very easy to set up and use. Very simple, yet so effective. Try it for 30 days, and if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund. What have you got to lose, besides the struggles, the stress, and the bites?

Comment

Been there done that!!! I have a cocker and she is my worst client…LOL They can be very hardheaded and lazy. It’s hard enough to get those legs to look nice much less do the dance while trying.
                      Get the groomers helper… it is so easy to use and you can adjust it as you need to. I ordered the starter kit and love it. I think most dogs feel more secure with it on not restrained; I have seen shakers stop shaking and relax after I put on.

Comment

I use the LIPS because it is extremely versatile and the sling will lift the feet off the ground so the dog has no leverage to fight against with it's feet on the table. Also helps with dogs who do the crocodile death roll.

Comment

Groomers Helper, all the way. It is very unobtrusive, it is small, and stays out of your way. It will stop the spinning and biting.

It is easy to use, and will last forever. I am still using the one I got originally 6 years ago. Stop struggling, grooming should be enjoyable, not miserable!

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                            if you don't have the money to buy the groomers helper ..buy the halti head leads
                            kvsupply.com I have used these to control even the worst behaved dogs in the past they come in various sized like muzzles do. I hook them to my grooming arm to make this connection just use zip ties place one around the arm and then loop another through that one to create a separate loop. I remember the most severe case of difficult dog I had used this method with I almost fired the client, her bouv broke my table in half by pulling the arm so hard.. once I started this method for difficult dogs they became no issue to groom ever again. for spinners you can add another arm to control the back end.

I start this method training for the dog start with larger muzzle make sure the dog can pant naturally place the halti over the muzzle if need be . dog should also be secured with grooming loop as normal
                            is that like a genta eleader? it looks like it.I have some of those somplace. how much are the groomers helpers? it looks like around 200.00 is that right?
                            ANd that lips thins looks good that could really help with those feet.hmmm has anyone tried BOTH?
                            IM NOT AFRAID TO SPEND MONEY you have to spend money to make money And if someone bites my hand I aint makin money for sure. if price werent a cencern,would anyone get one over the other>? are there things one does the other doesnt?

Comment

IMO, get the Groomer's Helper first, and the LIPS second IF you still feel you need more equipment. It isn't like the gentle leader at all, and is not a face halter.

Comment

Working...
                              X