Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Food Recall Alert - Nature's Variety Raw Food

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35776639...th-pet_health/
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Do you have a link to the actual article? This just seems to be msnbc's home page.

Comment

I deal with a small pet store that orders NV for me. They called almost as soon as I got home from picking up food. Told me the chicken flavor was being recalled. I just brought it back for a refund.
      I used to deal with a chain store, I don't think I would have gotten a call from them. I think I was very lucky, I could have fed it to the girls already..

Comment

Here's the FDA link:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm203612.htm
        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.

Comment

At least it is salmonella which, if a dog were to get sick from it, can be treated and is unlikely to kill the dog unless ignored.

Comment

Salmonella nearly killed one of my cockers a few years ago. It wasnt until we got a culture back from the University that we knew what was wrong with him. NO IDEA how he got it. I do not feed raw or table scraps. He had issues for the rest of his life as a result. Dayna's daughter had it last year as well and almost died. It is NOT simple and it does not have to be ignored to be deadly.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Dogs TYPICALLY don't get sick from Salmonella UNLESS they are immune-compromised, very young, or very old. DISCLAIMER: I used the words TYPICALLY and UNLESS

One of the biggest reasons they will do a recall for it, is to protect the HUMAN population from contamination.

I can see their concerns and applaud the recall, but it's not like it's a toxic substance like the recalls from the CHINA CHEMCIALS or the Diamond recalls. Salmonella is bad, but not for healthy dogs that are USED to eating raw.

Debi, I had two puppies years ago that got very sick from salmonella and nearly died, but they had no ill effects from it once they recovered. It would seem to me that if a dog had lasting effects (or what seemed to be lasting effects) it was probably more likely, it was an immune system issue. I also got it from cleaning up after them even with the extreme care I used.

Comment

Even if it doesn't kill them, it still sucks to see your furkids sick and miserable, more so if it's a direct result of something you did. Even if Phluphy doesn't get sick, what about YOU? Salmonella may not outright kill ya, but as someone who has experienced it first-hand, I can say with conviction that it can make you so sick you wanna die anyway. I dont have any statistics, but I'd bet that the majority of people who feed their animals do so without rubber gloves and probably dont do a thorough surgical scrub before and after mealtimes. If you handle salmonella-contaminated food items without those kind of precautions, it's a near certainty that you're gonna get sick.

Comment

Pf, I do'nt got ot that extreme when I cook for me,not saying I should'nt just do not. I hand over the raw chicken necks and wash with soap and thats it. I think we can over kill either way .To clean or just nasty, but my dogs track meat that has lain out for 30 minutesand up, never hurts them, it was fresh when put down, kept in an ice chest till used but then it is laid and allowed to age,
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Working...
                  X