How many dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many dogs?

Hello fellow groomers. I have a small shop out of my home where I work by myself. I really don't intend on hiring anyone because I just don't plan on growing the business that big. I really enjoy it the way it is. I left the rat race of retail pharmacy and really do not want to repeat that again in my life!! I've had some relatives make comments that I could be grooming more dogs then I do. Although these are people who have never worked in this business and just don't have a clue!! I was just curious to how many you all are grooming a day or week? Especially the groomers who work alone! Thanks!!

I work from home

as well. I do 3-4 dogs a day 5-6 days a week. I also do boarding (which is super busy right now) and daycare, so that is a good filler income.

Comment

I also work alone and do 3-4 dogs a day from my home - maybe 5 or 6 at the busy Christmas time. I "could" do more, but I'm not needing my income to pay the bills, so I'm taking it relatively easy. I want to enjoy what I do and not get burned out either physically or mentally.

Comment

I'm new at this,

So I am doing 3-4 dogs some days, 1 or 2 other days, but I have done up to 5 and now depending on the breeds, I could do 6 if I get up earlier in the day LOL!
        However, I am not a morning person, so I usually don't schedule my first groom until 10am or 11am. If I started at 9 I could do 5 to 6 a day, but I don't need to, so I try not to do that many! I am like you, just got out of one stressful work situation, and not wanting to make my home business stressful too. I do what I need to do and that's it, I will squeeze in an extra last minute if I am saving for something, like right now that would be the motorcycle, but other than that, I am not concerned with how many I do each day, and if you are happy, it is none of your friends or relative's concern IMO. As long as you are happy, keep doing it your way!

Comment

I work in a shop just started and have been doing 5 dogs between the hours of 10 am and 1pm and it is killing me My stress level has skyrocketed.I would have never wanted it this way but the shop owner (who is not a groomer) keeps booking them that way.I just started as in 2 weeks ago.I was the receptionist/daycare attendant/office manager now I come in at 930-1000am and groom till 1-2 pm and take over the daycare when Im done and the owner leaves and I dont get out of there till 645-7pm .but its hands on experiance right now thats all I keep thinking .

oh and "serenity now" serenity now" that phrase pops up now and then. lol.
          But by all means when I am able to move into my house at the end of summer I will be working from home and doing 5 dogs a day MAX between the hours of 9am - 5 pm end of story.

Comment

In some towns(New Jersey)

it is illegal to run a business out of your home,especially boarding,I would check with your town to see,all it takes is one neighbor to call on you and it can start alot of trouble.

Comment

Also work from home, but I've got a part time bather and part time groomer. When I'm completely by myself I do about 4-5 a day...When my bather is in we do about 6-8. My groomer does 2-5 by herself.

Comment

Man.. I wish I could only do 5 dogs a day... that's considered a slow day in our shop. 8 is average... 10-12 is common, especially on Fri-Sun.

That is a combo of baths and grooms, however... I had a recent Saturday I could only get 5 done in a 9 hour shift, however 4 were poodles with salvageable matting (dreads, not pelting) and one was a deshed with puppy cut Golden...

At least I got my "Rags to Riches" entry out of one of the poodles!

Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioMama View Post
                  I also work alone and do 3-4 dogs a day from my home - maybe 5 or 6 at the busy Christmas time. I "could" do more, but I'm not needing my income to pay the bills, so I'm taking it relatively easy. I want to enjoy what I do and not get burned out either physically or mentally.
                  Same situation here.

I could probably do 6 or 7+ working alone, but instead of coming in at spaced out times, I would need them to all come in early to start them all on baths/drying, and they would have have to stay most of the day till they are done.

I forgot to add I keep a relaxed schedule and sometimes I get those 3-5 dogs done in 3-4 hours, then i'm out the door assuming all are picked up on time.
                  Last edited by D'tails; 03-15-10, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I usually do 5-7 and am sometimes finished as early as 2pm. I take 2 in at 9am and then one every hour after that. Pickups depend on breed and degree of difficulty.
                    I only work Tues. - Fri. Mondays are for deep cleaning and paperwork. Don't work weekends, evening or any holidays.
                    During Christmas I work the Monday and usually do 7-12 per day depending on degree of difficulty. Any more and I would need assistance.
                    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I also work out of my home and work alone. I groom 4-5 a day and that is plenty. During the holidays I've gone up to 7-8 but I really like my nice slow days of 4 grooms. I work 5-6 days a week.
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

3-5 here too but I am also a mom and have to run my kids off to school - pick them up and bring them to their after school activities. My youngest has two half days at school so one of those days I take half a day off to be with her.
                        I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

How many dogs...

I do 3 to 5 depending on day.... I llike it that way... I left the Corporate **** of over 20 years and just don't want to deal with the stress anymore... This way I can spend my time with the dogs and get them done right (well to the best of my abilities....lol) Don't worry about other people... What's that saying.... “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes." And this is the part I like: "That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” Do what you want....it's your life... Enjoy !! Have fun !!

Comment

I work at a petsomething, and usually do 5-6 haircuts (groomers there don't do just bath dogs) a day depending on the dogs (standard poodles, big doodles, etc. take up 2 spots) but I'm also expected to answer phones, make appointments and do any walk-in services (toothbrushing and/or nail trims). We also only get 2 dogs at a time. Although I've heard from the other groomers that the schedule is setup to where we are actually supposed to do 1 haircut per hour plus a half hour break during the day (so 8 haircuts total) but none of the groomers there can do that many, and the dogs that come in (usually have appointments every 10-12 weeks) I don't think I could do them in an hour.

When I worked in a private salon we got all the dogs in the morning and I could do 8-10 as a combination of haircuts and just bath dogs.

Comment

I work out of a vet clinic and typically do 7 dogs a day. I will do more of some are really easy or just baths, and I will do less if they are big fluffies that I know will take more time. The receptionists have a list of "can get in anytime" dogs and they are pretty good at knowing which dogs I will need more time for and will block off an extra slot or two. I always check how my days look so I have an idea what I have coming up and also can add more slots of I want. I get to work at 730am and leave when Im done with all my dogs. Some days I out of there by 2pm sometimes its right up till 5 (we close at 530) I get paid commission so its up to me if I want to take a break for lunch, usually Ill just bring something to snack on quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X