are bottle baby pups,just like bottle kittens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are bottle baby pups,just like bottle kittens

i know its different formula,but is it basically the same,do i help them go to the bathroom too like a kitten,we found some abandoned pups,and im familiar with bottle baby kittens,and im hoping to get these pups into some kind of rescue tommorrow,but for tonite they are staying with me,any pointers for the next 24 hrs
    thank you

Yup. If you've bottle fed kittens, it's the same routine for puppies - keep warm, feed every 2-3 hours, stimulate to eliminate and suck in all that wonderful baby critter smell you can before you have to give them up. Would you consider fostering them for the rescue group until they are old enough to be weaned? That would make it a lot easier for the rescue org. and they generally supply all the formula and vet care that may be required?

How old are they? What colours, size, etc. Do you have any pix yet? Sorry, I am SOOO antsy waiting for my first batch of bottle babies this season. I love having baby kitties in my care and I haven't had any since last summer.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

They are basically the same as far as care goes.

You will need to help them eliminate if their eye's are not open yet and they'll need to be fed every 2 - 3 hours. (eyes open approximately 10 - 14 days of age)

Don't forget to keep them warm. A heating pad set on low placed in one area of their "den" and place a good layer of blankets over the pad to prevent burns to tender skin and allow them an area to crawl away from the heat if they need to. Put a big stuffed toy in there for them to snuggle into.

Good for you taking care of those babies

One more note: Some times it can be hard to get them on a nipple if they've been nursed by mom, but don't give up. Also, check their hydration. IF they are dehydrated, they'll need some pedialyte before formula.

Comment

Yes , feed them rub their little tummys and keep a towel handy! Lotsof luck tonight, hope a rescue has room. It is good of you to take them on.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Aww, good luck. I love puppy breath.

If you have any weak ones you can scratch their back and this will stimulate them to latch on to the nipple harder.

Comment

And don`t make the mistake we made with our first bottle fed kittens...hold them flat, so they are laying on their bellies, and feed them that way. We were holding them upright, not on their backs, but upright, and they did a lot of fighting the bottle. We were half drowning the poor things! But they survived, and now we know better, lol.

Comment

Just a warm dampened Q tip

will do the trick to get them to potty. Pics I want pics. Awwwwwwwww Not the puppy blob ones, I want faces! And I want them now! LOL

Comment

And most importantly dont forget to sterilise everything.

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
                  And most importantly dont forget to sterilise everything.
                  Not only is that not necessary, it's down right impossible. No one can sterizie the world. Mother dog's don't sterilize their teats or their mouth.

Wash stuff. But there's not need to run out and buy a pressure cooker so you can sterilize anything.

Comment

thank you
                    they made it through the night and are good little eaters,i will be taking them to a foster home in a few hours,i really wish i could keep them until they are old enough to go up for adoption but my hectic work schedule will not permit it i think they will do great at their new home
                    thanks again

Comment

Its not necessary to buy a pressure cooker to sterilise baby stuff as you well know. Five minutes in boiling water or in a baby sterilising solution is fine. Puppies and kittens need sterilisation just like human babies do.

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
                        Its not necessary to buy a pressure cooker to sterilise baby stuff as you well know. Five minutes in boiling water or in a baby sterilising solution is fine. Puppies and kittens need sterilisation just like human babies do.
                        I know boiling doesn't sterilize, only disinfects. You can't sterilize without pressure, because the water will not get hot enough. Once it hits the boiling point, that's as high as it goes. After going to college and taking all those medical classes, I know this to be a fact. If boiling water were sufficient, there would be no need for autoclaves, which are just fancy pressure cookers.

Human babies don't need things to be sterilized, either. We don't sterilize their environment, Moms don't sterilize their nipples, we don't sterilize their pacifiers each and every time they spit them out, and we certainly don't sterilize their little hands, which are always in their mouths from the day they are born, unless they are very premature.

People used to boil baby's bottles, if they got bottles, back in the day when diseases like polio and whooping cough were rampant, there was no cure and no vaccine, and it was a feeble attemt to keep babies from catching all those potentially deadly diseases. They didn't know that it was a useless practice until much later.

A puppies environment is even less contaminated by everyday bacteria and viruses than a human baby. Mom licks one puppy after the other, spreading whatever germs came out of one onto the next pup. Puppies suck on each other's toes and other parts if Mom isn't around. Other parts including the sheath on boy puppies, and the vulva on girl puppies. If there's no mother dog, they look for anything to satisfy the urge to suck. And when they suck on each other, they void, which is then consumed.

Things need to be washed to remove food and dirt that might spoil and cause digestive upsets. But it's not necessary to sterilize, even if you have the equipment to do it.

Comment

Working...
                        X