How do you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you?

Get a job, when you only have little experience? My experiences so far in grooming hasn't worked out at all. The shops in this area, they either beat and abuse the dogs, the owners are wacky/nutso, full of drama, dirty, etc. Most of the groomers in this area also seem like a bunch of cut throats.I have a little less than a year grooming, and lost my last grooming job, because of an injury from a car accident. Now, I haven't worked in 6 months. There are a number of shops in the area looking for groomers, however I guess no one wants a groomer with a year or less.

Everyone tells me this is the season for shops to get real busy and this is the time of year groomers make their moves, and shops hire. There have been jobs I've applied for and don't even get a callback.

Maybe it's just time to look for a different career.

Have you tried the corporate stores?

Did you finish grooming school or learn through apprenticeship?

The corporates may want you to go through their training.

If you really enjoy grooming don't get discouraged I went through three work sites in four years, but learned something new at each one.

Comment

If this is something you really want to do, don't give up. Keep trying and you will find the right working environment. We've all been there, we weren't born knowing how to groom and many of us have had to prove ourselves to others. It is a continuing learning experience and if you can find the right salon to work in, I think you will never regret what you do. Grooming has been such a huge part of my life for so long, but I still remember what it was like being so new to it all. I think if you are open and honest, willing to learn and have a positive attitude when working, there will be a position for you at a place you can really love going to everyday. It can be hard to find at times, depending on your area. I have hired groomers right out of school and groomers with less than 6 months of experience and have found them to be wonderful people to work with. It never mattered to me that they may not be completely polished yet, as long as they were willing to learn and let me help them as needed. There ARE good salons out there with great groomers to work with. It sounds like you've had some really negative experiences that I can only imagine has really soured a lot about our profession. If I had been in your shoes I know I would be very discouraged as well. Chin up though, we believe in you and I am sure if you just keep looking the right place will be found! Maybe you can even make some connections on this board to find a great place.
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Most major corporations only take applications online. Ever fill out one of those. Takes an hour, they ask 50 questions or more, and about things like have you ever received food stamps. You don't even get an opportunity to take to someone.

Answer to the question is yes, I have tried one of the big pet corporations. Based on word from a fellow groomer that they were hiring, Heard nothing.

I paid for training through a local groom shop.

I have already worked at 3 places in less than a year.

Comment

At this point I'm just not sure if my pocketbook can wait that long. Already been unemployed now for about 6 months, and still have doctors and hospital bills on top of normal living expenses.

Comment

Dont let them take away your dream!!!!
            you are only going to have 1 life and You need to do what you want to do! I work in an awful shop.the owner isnt a groomer I was the receptionist took classes online,asked our groomer alot of questions she helped me ,even told me about jodi murphy dvds I bought some of those and when she moved on to another shop I took over.the owner of the shop books 5 - 6 dogs for me to finish between 10 am -2 pm when he leaves then I run the daycare by myself.It is the most stressed ive been in my life BUT im getting grooming expeience that I need desperately so ,I deal with it.for now but one day im going to have my own shop so that is what keeps me going.even when I did the first grooming on a poodle puppy the other day I wanted to cry I think I may have started to cry lol but I did all I could thank god I bought a cheap little trimmer because this pup was scared of everything -I told the shop owner thats all Im doing to this dog thats as good as it gets Im not going to stress her out and Im ending it on a positive note.he wasnt happy but thats too bad.that puppy did really well and when shed had enough she had enough.I keep in the back of my mind what my long term goal is right now im not living my dream ,just a little peice of it but one day I will and the more I do now the better I will be in the long run.So even if you dont have the ideal job in the begining its still "something' that will get you closer to your dream job one day.I have a one year goal-I figure Ill have a ****** job for a year before im ready to move on to better my career,I know that seems like a bad attitude to have but the person I work for wont spend any money for his business no oatmeal shampoo ,cant wash the towels every day just put them in the dryer with a dryer sheet ,and yesterday he told me to move a dogs bed over because with all the rain we had the roof might fall in.yeah that bad BUT Im dealing with it now

Comment

I did temporary office work in between some of my grooming jobs and then would keep looking in the meantime.

Maybe that's something that can work for you Temporary work with maybe someone that needs a part-time groomer to start. I know it is difficult especially when you leave some grooming jobs under less than pleasant circumstances they aren't exactly a good reference.

I do in home grooming, dog walking and pet-sitting right now but applied for a part-time temporary census job for the spring that pays good money for 5-10 weeks.

If you were let go from your last job you arent' able to collect unemployment?

Comment

Figured I could work in a shop (less desirable) for at least a year to get experience and hone my skills, but have not been able to find a shop to do that in.

I've applied for part-time, full-time, everybody wants someone with 3 or more years experience.

The last job I lost because of the accident (was going to be out several months with rehab) and the shop owner doesn't have any use for you if you are not making the shop any money. Owner likes to keep all the tables full. I'm sure if I had not had the accident I would most likely still be there. It was a great place to learn.

Comment

How about trying house call grooming?

I currently have a full time job in the corporate world, but graduated from grooming school last July. My ultimate goal is to go mobile, but in the meantime, I'm building up a clientele by doing house-call grooms. All of my clients know that I'm a newbie, and they love the fact that I take my time...(boy do I take my time!LOL) I'm starting to pick up a bit, getting a lot of re-books and call backs. Hopefully within the year, I'll be able to go part time at the corporate job, then eventually...NO CORPORATE AT ALL!! You could do house-call grooming and maybe get a part time job doing something else until you have enough clients to pay the bills regularly. If you really want this, you'll find a way to make it work!

Comment

just a word on the corporate salons...IF you answer any of the ethics questions wrong, your application won't even be sent to a hiring store. I would redo the application and follow up with a phone call to your nearest one, just to ensure it made it through the system. They really are a great place to gain experience for future jobs!

Comment

Originally posted by moondawg View Post
                      Most major corporations only take applications online. Ever fill out one of those. Takes an hour, they ask 50 questions or more, and about things like have you ever received food stamps. You don't even get an opportunity to take to someone.

Answer to the question is yes, I have tried one of the big pet corporations. Based on word from a fellow groomer that they were hiring, Heard nothing.

I paid for training through a local groom shop.

I have already worked at 3 places in less than a year.
                      If you really want to get in the door it is worth the time to fill out whatever the application is, even if it takes an hour. I wouldn't want to hire anyone that felt taking an hour to fill out an application or design a resume was a problem. Once you fill one out go in, with a copy of it, and a resume, and talk to a manager. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. You can't just fill out or send in an application now a days and expect a call. Everyone wants a job. The people getting interviews are the one's asking for them.

Check with veterinarians too, often times they need kennel/boarding help and will use those people to help with grooming, it can be a way to get your foot in the door.

Comment

You may want to go mobile. Your attitude toward shop owners is just bitter.
                        If you suspect a shop is abusing animals you must report them to the spca, if not then don't come on this forun throwing allegations around like a frisbee.

Comment

House call grooming, the drawback to that is, I don't have enough equipment fo rthat. i.e. grooming table, arm or force dryer. Also, not sure I can get all the stuff I would need in the car.

How do you which answer to the question they are looking for? Most of the time their selection of answers are limited and really don't give you the answer that best fits. If I fill it out again, I'd most likely answer the questions the same way.

The reason the online applications take so long is all the questions they ask, most of which have nothing to do with the position or my skill set. And they ask the same question 3 or 4 times, just word it differently. And you never find all those questions on a paper application.

Squeaky wheel, not in all situations.

Comment

Going mobile is real expensive, especially with no down payment. Mobile is running your own business which is a lot of work. I just want to find a shop where I can learn and grow and get some experience.

I have talked with people at the humane society, etc. Abuse is real hard to prove. I don't suspect, seen the abuse first hand, several times. I believe the shop may be on their radar, but hasn't been shut down yet.

Comment

Print the application, fill it out, make several copies and keep filling it out,then go back on line and fill it out, as everyone else said , then take a copy and a resume to the store, be polite and hand in the app in with resume in person, dressed for the job you want. . There are good and bad in all situtions, as a shop owner, I wouldhbe hesitant to hire someone with a bad attitude toward shop grooming, watch your demeaner, you mat be off putting to people doing the hiring. jmo
                              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Working...
                              X