Basset Nails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basset Nails

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in tools forum but I thought i'd try here first.
    Does anyone have a recommendations for cutting those really thick basset nails? I have a male that comes in that is HUGE for a Basset and I use a millers Forge (orange handled clippers) and I can barely chip away at it. I don't think the nail would fit in any other kind of nail clipper. Half of the nails don't fit in the millers forge and i end up cutting one side of the nail and then the other, until I get all around the nail!
    The owner doesn't bring in the dog very often so using a dremel would take forever to cut off all that excess growth. Fortunately the dog is well behaved and tolerates my attempts at cutting!

On the same note could my nail clippers need dull? Can those be sharpened or do I have to buy new? That seems like such a waste to me but I don't see how the blade could be replaced...

I always use a dremmel on my Basset nails. Yes, very large and thick and he hates to have his nails done so my DH holds him while I dremmel away. I usually put a new band on the dremmel before starting and can do them in a few minutes. For me it's the easiest way. Sorry I can't give advice on the clipping.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Anything Miller's Forge is a rip off, IMNHO. I use safari brand pliers type nail clippers, then Dremel the edge. I can easily use a Dremel if I turn up the speed on it.
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Dremmel! Even the thickest nails can be filed down.
        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I totally know what you mean! Sometimes when bassets come in I can't help but wish I had one of those thingers they use to cut horse's hooves! I usually do as you do, cut half at a time. Not pretty, but it works.

Comment

I have experienced some of those whopper nails myself and it seems they are always on the Bassets. Try to remember to hold the clippers at the end of the handles so you can get more leverage and power. Work them hand muscles! lol

Comment

Are your Millers Forge clippers the Jumbo size? I have 2 sizes of the plier type. The smaller ones wouldn't be able to handle Bassett nails, though even w/the jumbo size I often have to "sliver" away at some of the super-thick, super-long nails and then finish up w/a dremmel.

The other thing to do will be to advise this client to bring the dog back every 10 days or so in order to get those nails short gradually and w/out hurting or stressing the dog out any more than necessary. If he is like most of the Bassett's that I groom, doing the nails is a HUGE issue w/them.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

you may need to replace your nail clippers they do get dull after time,as for sharpening I don't know if they can be sharpened or not you can ask your sharpener about that.I would clip the nails back then dremel them smooth.

Comment

Whether you dremel or clip, you may be able to make your life a bit easier by washing the dog first. Washing the dog will soften the nails and make them easier to clip and/or dremel. I almost always wash a basset first to save my hands from trying to snap those steel hard monster nails down to size.

Comment

Originally posted by groomingfool View Post
                    Whether you dremel or clip, you may be able to make your life a bit easier by washing the dog first. Washing the dog will soften the nails and make them easier to clip and/or dremel. I almost always wash a basset first to save my hands from trying to snap those steel hard monster nails down to size.
                    Ditto ... much softer & easier to do after the bath - I think the dogs are better for it - & the nails don't split or crack like they do sometimes when dry.

Comment

Originally posted by DogChic View Post
                      Ditto ... much softer & easier to do after the bath - I think the dogs are better for it - & the nails don't split or crack like they do sometimes when dry.
                      LOL so if i'm already clipping the nails after the bath and I still chip away does that mean i'm out of luck?! I'm going to try replacing the clippers. I will have to remember to hold farther down on the handle.

Comment

Working...
                      X