Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for standard smooth dachshund breeder.... know one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for standard smooth dachshund breeder.... know one?

We just lost our golden girl a week ago, and I know we can never replace her in our hearts... but, eventually, when the time is right we are looking to get a standard smooth dachshund. I've been poking around the dachshund club of america at breeders on their list, there is one std. smooth breeder on there in Washington, but they don't have a website or anything. There are a couple in Oregon, one is a kennel type set up, and they have a very long list of champions but don't list what sort of testing they do with the dogs. I've also looked into our local breed club and they say to call for recommended breeders, but I'm not at the point yet to actively be calling breeders. So, just thought I'd throw something out here if you guys know of any awesome breeders. I would prefer to get one in driveable distance of Washington, so oregon, idaho, california, maybe montana, but you never know something might happen for the right dog!
    We would like a puppy but could be open to the right adult. Looking for a very good quality dog with a very healthy background. Any suggestions for specific things I should look for in a breeder, and in a puppy? I want to do it the right way this time.

Seattle kennel club dog show is this weekend. Why not check there? There are tons of demos, agility competition going on all day, and a lot of breed club booths.... it is at QWEST events center.

Comment

Originally posted by kdickerson View Post
      Seattle kennel club dog show is this weekend. Why not check there? There are tons of demos, agility competition going on all day, and a lot of breed club booths.... it is at QWEST events center.
      yep I am planning on going on Sat, I went last year too and thought about talking to breeders but the doxie people seemed kinda unfriendly, not very approachable : / I'll try again this year though!

Comment

Washington Doxie Breeders

I show and breed the longhairs, and I'm also the editor of the Dachshund Club of America Newsletter (actually full color magazine).

Here are two people that could give you names of people in the Washington area that might have dachsies available. They are both on the board of directors of DCA.

Dr. Jean Dieden (Clinton, WA) [email protected]
        Cathy Sorenson (Oak Harbor, WA) [email protected]

Comment

Tips from someone who does conformation (which may seem like common sense, but people still do dumb things):

-wait until they are finishing up the breed or look around the grooming area afterwards (not that doxies get groomed a ton)

-don't approach when they are prepping to go in the ring, even if it seems like they are just bs-ing

-if you see a dog you like, ask who bred it, or for a business card

-be persistent- you are a breeder's dream (someone who is guaranteed to take good care of their dog) and don't let quirky dog people get you down

-understand the exhibitor's point of view- the SKC dog show is the biggest show around for spectators (who don't understand dog shows). These spectators touch dogs without asking, interrupt to ask dumb questions, let their kids be obnoxious, get their strollers in everyone's way, and are generally a PIA.

Finally, if there is a dachsund breed booth, these are going to be the most friendly people to speak with about breed references, where they got their dogs, etc. Also, there is cascadedauchs.org (I assume you know all about doing your research when picking a breeder). They have a calender of social events for dachsund lovers, which might be a good lead.

I don't know if you know how to look up show times (judging programs can be confusing), but on saturday standard smooth dachs show in ring 4 around 1:45 (program says 12:45 w/19 lhasas and 10 wire dachs ahead, which should take about 2 min per dog). There are 7 smooth dachs entered.

PM me if you have questions I love dog shows, but can't go saturday cause of work... maybe sunday though.

Comment

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
            I show and breed the longhairs, and I'm also the editor of the Dachshund Club of America Newsletter (actually full color magazine).

Here are two people that could give you names of people in the Washington area that might have dachsies available. They are both on the board of directors of DCA.

Dr. Jean Dieden (Clinton, WA) [email protected]
            Cathy Sorenson (Oak Harbor, WA) [email protected]
            Thanks for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by kdickerson View Post
              Tips from someone who does conformation (which may seem like common sense, but people still do dumb things):

PM me if you have questions I love dog shows, but can't go saturday cause of work... maybe sunday though.
              Thanks for the info! I'll have to see if they have a booth this year, I was dissapointed that they didn't last year, but there sure were some good looking dogs there!

Comment

no prob... sorry if my tips came across as rude at all, it's just really frustrating at times to have so many people in the way (or your dog's tail run over by an idiot with a stroller). Not implying that you would do any of said stupid things!

Comment

Working...
                X