Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help! Chinese Crested powder puff

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help! Chinese Crested powder puff

    I posted some pics of my crested puff puppy back in Dec. She is 4 mo. old now but she is losing hair. Is it normal for them to loose hair (matts daily) and their coat flatten out. She is looking pretty ratty now and I don't know if I need to be alarmed.

    I know my Sammies use to go thru an ugly stage around 4 mo. where the coat flattened and they blew the under coat.

    I am attaching some pics but you can not see the hair loss, but she is flat on shoulders and very thin on stifle of back legs and around her neck is just top coat .
    Attached Files

  • #2
    I cant remember this ever happening to any of mine. Maybe shes a very hairy hairless lolol. Very cute puppy. I still have one male, they are the nicest little dogs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is she scratching/ chewing?

      Comment


      • #4
        take to vet

        and have her check for mites. I know you know how to look for fleas but it is very possible and not that according to our vet not that uncommon for puppies to pick up skin mites. Our lab had mites as a puppy and we can only figure he got it at puppy class or at someones house. He started losing fur on his hips, just a small spot, we were worried it was ringworm but it came back mites, but not demodex, thankfully. Unfortunately the fur never grew back completely and has has a quater sized bald spot that is very obvious on his short black coat!

        Comment


        • #5
          I only have a hairless soo I have never experienced coat changes...but I would agree with the mite check and then be aware of food allergies can cause coat probelms (though I didn't think puppies develop them)...I'll be watching this post I am very curious now. A very cute puppy!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by petliks View Post
            I only have a hairless soo I have never experienced coat changes...but I would agree with the mite check and then be aware of food allergies can cause coat probelms (though I didn't think puppies develop them)...I'll be watching this post I am very curious now. A very cute puppy!
            She does scratch a lot and she does not have fleas. I already have her on Solid God puppy food and she is on Nu Vet tabs. She is going to vet Wed for her last shots and I was planning on asking him about it. As of now there are no redness to her skin or sores. She plays with my daughters Crested daily and I thought it was from that but over the weekend she was not here so no rough housing and after she was combed and brushed out Friday night she woke up with tuffs of matts on her backside and tuckup area. I will have vet check her for mites but usually you will see some kind of skin problem. I really hope she is not a very hairy hairless. She really had a thick coat as a baby.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wynningway View Post
              I will have vet check her for mites but usually you will see some kind of skin problem.
              Not necessarily. If it is demodex, it will but there are other mites that may not be redness. That was the case with our dog. Just a loss of hair. So hair loss is always worth having a vet checked!

              Comment


              • #8
                It is normal for cresteds to go through a horrible coat change. (My 9mo. old is going through it now) Usually its after 6+ months, sounds like yours is just starting early. Give her a few months, it will get easier and she will look better, I promise. Meanwhile, brush her everyday with a good pin brush and never brush a dry or dirty coat. If you want I have a top secret receipe for a great conditioner for these guys.

                BTW, Are you going to try to get those ears up?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by agility crested View Post
                  It is normal for cresteds to go through a horrible coat change. (My 9mo. old is going through it now) Usually its after 6+ months, sounds like yours is just starting early. Give her a few months, it will get easier and she will look better, I promise. Meanwhile, brush her everyday with a good pin brush and never brush a dry or dirty coat. If you want I have a top secret receipe for a great conditioner for these guys.

                  BTW, Are you going to try to get those ears up?
                  I would love the receipt for the conditioner. I am trying to get the ears up. I took them down a week ago as she had some irratation in her one ear. Vet gave me ointment to use and seems to be cleared up. The breeder said to leave up for a couple of weeks then take down for about a week. It is time to re post. do you have any suggestions as the best way to post. He has used several different methods. We never do it the same way. I doubt that she will be shown as her bite is off already. But we love her just the same. Any help will be appreciated.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ears

                    To get my HHL ears to stand I shaved them weekly with a 40, I didn't want any weight at all on them. They also will go down when teething. I also used band aids to post again light weight and you can get for sensitive skin.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hairlessdogmom View Post
                      To get my HHL ears to stand I shaved them weekly with a 40, I didn't want any weight at all on them. They also will go down when teething. I also used band aids to post again light weight and you can get for sensitive skin.
                      How do you post the ears with bandaids? We have used paper towels rolled and taped to inside of ears, we also taped the ears flat front and back. I do shave the ears with a #40 blade weekly and I wondered about teething I know with my Samoyeds that we didn't even bother to tape until teething was over with. Usually they came up on there own after they were thru the teething stage. I only had to tape one dogs ears. That was many years ago. I was going to try mole skin but wanted some input on posting the ears.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        there are many people at Chinesecrestedcrush.com that could give you advice. My puff girls do not have these issues, So i'm not sure what is going on with yours.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          [QUOTE=wynningway;398091]How do you post the ears with bandaids?

                          I used a (I know this may sound gross) unused tampon cardboard app. and tape it in the ear with band aids. I also used band aids for my sheltie's ears. And on the light side when the kids were little and used all the tape they could find I use ban aids as tape on my sons b-day gift kind of like duck tape.LOL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            [QUOTE=hairlessdogmom;398389]
                            Originally posted by wynningway View Post
                            How do you post the ears with bandaids?

                            I used a (I know this may sound gross) unused tampon cardboard app. and tape it in the ear with band aids. I also used band aids for my sheltie's ears. And on the light side when the kids were little and used all the tape they could find I use ban aids as tape on my sons b-day gift kind of like duck tape.LOL
                            Thanks, I have had a lot of suggestions for the taping of the ears. Some I used when taping my Samoyeds ears the tampon applicator was one but I thought her ears were too small for that. I am going to get some round weather stripping made of foam today (this was suggested by a friend) and repost this weekend. I have been taking them down every 7 to 10 days and leaving down for a week then putting back up. I was told to put back up as soon as I change the tape. It is very confusing. But Thanks for all the suggestions.

                            My main concern is the hair loss. She is rough housing with Zoey my daughters crested and I don't know if this is breaking her hair off that bad. She comes and stays with Papa and the dogs while we work. If that is the problem I don't know if I can keep them separated. If it is health issues then I want to try and correct it. If she is a very hairy hairless I will be disappointed but will still love her as she is already won our hearts.

                            Thanks to all
                            Saundra

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You'd be able to tell if she was a hairless, they have different teeth (although Im not sure if you could tell this young) and feet than the powderpuffs.
                              Last edited by petgroomaustralia; 03-18-10, 04:51 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X