Way O/T But exciting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way O/T But exciting!

While the forum was down I checked out some horse racing news. Instead of retiring the great and wonderful mare Zenyatta, who lost out on horse of the year to the other wonderful filly Rachel Alexandra. I discovered these 2 powerhouses of female horseflesh are finally going to race each other! April 9th the Oak Blossom, purse 5 million. If it isn't on tv. I will have a fit! This should be interesting. 1 1/8 miles (Rachels best) dirt track, Zenyatta' prefers synthetic. I still think Z will catch her. Any other fans of these 2? What do you think?
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Wow! Thats exciting! What track are they racing at? I watch horse racing every now and then when i can. I love it. I don't think i actually have seen Zenyatta run but i saw Rachel in the Preakness and she was amazing in it.

Comment

I never really followed horse racing very much, but in my younger years I couldn't get enough of show jumping. Your post got me to wondering, though...does anyone know whatever happened to Gem Twist? I used to love watching him in the ring - that little guy had an excess of personality that made him a crowd favorite wherever he went!
      Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
      George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Zenyatta is the first filly to ever win the breeders cup classic, She beat all the top colts in the wolrd to do it. She broke slow,got on the wrong lead,and was so far behind the pack you couldn't see her,she had no racing room,and can't be threaded between horses as she is too huge 17.2 hands ,and an aggressive runner . she went around to the the outside ,and was literally eating up the track the last 1/4 mile to catch the boys. She galloped out like she had been for a Sunday canter,and even did her little dressage type dance for the crowd. Gotta love her! There is video of the race at the breeders cup website. I'm a total fan. I have watched all 14 of her races on you tube. (unbeaten) She is the most exciting racer since Secretariat in MHO However Rachel is a formidable opponent,and has beaten the the world top colts even more tha the Z. Should be interesting. Dear God just let them get safely around! If it turns into a match race,some of these super competive horses can injure themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
          I never really followed horse racing very much, but in my younger years I couldn't get enough of show jumping. Your post got me to wondering, though...does anyone know whatever happened to Gem Twist? I used to love watching him in the ring - that little guy had an excess of personality that made him a crowd favorite wherever he went!
          Gem Twist passed on in 2006 at the age to 27 I believe. He was amazing to watch.
          Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by petstylist View Post
            Gem Twist passed on in 2006 at the age to 27 I believe. He was amazing to watch.
            Tammy
            Was he a smaller grey that could jump,and turn like a cat?

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
              Zenyatta is the first filly ...has beaten the the world top colts even more tha the Z. Should be interesting. Dear God just let them get safely around! If it turns into a match race,some of these super competive horses can injure themselves.

Just watched the video. And wow that was amazing. I couldn't watch the race the day it ran because i was in school and forgot about it til now. I'll definitely have to make sure i see her next race. I'm going to go back now and try to watch her previous races, she seems like a amazing horse. Thanks for sharing about it.

Comment

Gem Twist clone

Did a search on Gem Twist, found out that they have cloned him??

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                  Was he a smaller grey that could jump,and turn like a cat?
                  Yep, thats him! Gorgeous little guy and he moved like a monkey, he was that amazing. Full of personality, always doing these little dances between jumps. One of the most amazingly talented jumpers since Snowman.

http://www.showjumpinghalloffame.net.../snowman.shtml
                  Attached Files
                  Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                  George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

I miss Gem Twist

Its funny that ya'll mentioned Gem Twist...I was just looking at some footage of him on Youtube the other day. I remember growing up, my friends and I would all talk about how we wished we could ride Gem.

I saw online that they had a big retirement ceremony for him and everything. And yes, he died a few years ago.

If they did clone him, it would be interesting to see if the clone has the same personality and drive the original Gem had.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                      Yep, thats him! Gorgeous little guy and he moved like a monkey, he was that amazing. Full of personality, always doing these little dances between jumps. One of the most amazingly talented jumpers since Snowman.

http://www.showjumpinghalloffame.net.../snowman.shtml
                      Yes they cloned him and his name is Gemini
                      http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...gem_twist.html

Cant wait to see what he turns into. They also cloned a excellent barrel horse named Scamper but they are only using him for stud duties

As a side note havent been on the board since Feb and I pick this thread
                      Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Wow. I love the way a thread can sometimes wander into new and even more fascinating territory. Just read the article about Gemini the cloned son of Gem Twist. He would be a 2 year old now. It raises so many unknown,and even ethical questions. I hope they use him as a sport horse,and not just a stallion,clone or n ot you need to see if he has the "it" factor great athletes have. Maybe it is not in a clone? Now I'm wondering if Ian Millar cloned Big Ben? He was a marvel too. Back to Gemini. I would love to see thoroughbreds back on top with the warm bloods in Grand prix jumping,and dressage,etc. Back in the day,many horses that didn't work out at the track got great homes and careers as sport horses.

Comment

Zenyatta/superhorse!

She did it again. 15 for 15. In her prep race leading up to the Oak Blossom showdown with Rachel Alexandra. Trailed the field,kicked into overdrive 1/2 way down the stretch,and passed the other gals like she was out for an afternoon canter. I think she is going down in history right next to Man O' War,and Secretariat.

Comment

She goes for 16 straight today!

Okay I know I am a besotted fan of this mare,just sharing in case any other horse lovers want to see something cool. Today April 9th she runs in the Apple Blossom Grade 1 stakes for fillies and mares post time 6:30 EST. I got a free membership through the Daily Racing Form,and you can watch a live streaming video of the race through them. The way she trails the field ,and then just blows past them in the stretch is the most exciting thing I have seen since Secretariat. Have a safe trip[ my big beauty! 17.2hands of equine perfection!

Comment

Just in case there are any Zen fans on here,she will be running this sunday June 13th in the Hollywood Park Vanity Handicap carrying high weight of 129 lbs. There is a very talented mare St. Trinians from the U.K. gonna try her. If she wins it will be her 3rd consecutive win in the same race,and she will be on 17 undefeated races! Post time 7:05 pm WST

Comment

Working...
                              X