Cocker Spaniel skin & grooming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocker Spaniel skin & grooming?

You know how some cockers have very bad skin problems? Well after bathing, combing & shaving a lot of times I still see crusties in the hair where the skin is really bad. I have tried going over it to get it out with a fine tooth comb but it still doesn't get it all, some times even makes it worse. I feel like the dog isn't clean enough when they leave. How do all of you handle this skin situation? Thanks, Terri

I start with a degreasing shampoo, lather up, add a big handful of sugar, scrub it in lightly and let them soak for ten minutes. Back to the tub, more sugar, and scrub again. Rinse, then use whichever medicated shampoo the vet recommends. If the vet doesn't recommend, I use a tea tree oil shampoo, soak, and rinse. The sugar scrub after the soak usually takes care of the crusties.

Comment

Sometimes after the grooming I'll blow the dog once more with the velocity dryer. This not only gets the flakes off but any extra hair that may be still sticking to the pet. Kind of like when the barber brushes off a gentlemans neck after tht cut. Also, try letting the cocker sit in a medicated shampoo and conditioner when bathing. I'll let them marinate in it for at least 5 minutes so it can really absorb.

Comment

Sometimes, there's only so much you can do. A lot of these dogs have underlying med problems such as low thyroid-very common. Diet plays a big part too. I groom a couple like that-owner doesn't have the money for the tests, or just won't do it. I use Dawn first, then an oatmeal shampoo. She brought in some shampoo from the vet that worked relally well-Keratolux. You can find it online. Pricey, but worth it.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

sugar scrub & degreaser

I will definitely try the sugar scrub & tea tree oil. Some times they bring the shampoo from the vet but usually forget it. What is the best degreasing shampoo people like? I usually use Natures Specialty products but I am open to other products as well. I have tried the HV dryer after with no results. They are still pretty stuck on the hair. Thanks, Terri

Comment

Tomalyn makes a pretty good tea tree shampoo. It isn't the nices smelling shampoo, but it claims to kill bacteria on the skin. I use it on cockers all the time, especially those with greasy skin and flaky moles. I like that it cuts through the grease and conditions the coat well. It leaves my hands feeling soft, too.

Comment

I degrease and soak in tea tree shampoo all over. Glop it in your hand and rub it undiluted on the undersides of ear leathers and in between toes where most of the gunk likes to hang out. You need at least 2 baths to get most Cockers clean.

I use Davis Melaleuca Tea tree on all Cockers because of it's antibacterial/anti crud properties.

Comment

I use wild thang shampoo for those types of coats one bath is all that is needed and these dogs come out squeaky clean .Its a multi purpose very high concentrated shampoo.and natural

Comment

My cockers are Bad, are your this bad?

I am going to give all of your ideas a try! The cockers I am talking about just don't have a little on their ears or feet. They have big dark patches like around the butt & inner thigh area. These dogs usually have a lot of little moles, smell terrible, some matted & some have large tumors also. They are not all like this but enough that I want to figure out the best way to tackle this & fast. They are all supposedly taken to the vet but how much care or how often I can't be sure. It is pretty gross washing them but I do feel like I am making them feel better & with all of the advice here, maybe I can make them feel even better. Before you ask, no they do not come in on a reagular schedule although I ask them to. Terri

Comment

Do you have a bathing system? Hand washing is pretty useless on Cockers like that. The systems do a pretty good job at shooting the surficants in the shampoo right into the skin to lift that goo off.

Comment

Sunshine, what you're describing sounds like baterial plaques. They're very common on Cockers in some geographical areas, but not others. It's usually because of the lines that are being bred in those areas.

Most of the time there's an allergy or a flea at the bottom of it. Food or contact allergies set up the skin and ears for infection by causing irritation. Fleas...well, we all know what they do, and the itch they leave behind causes scratching, which leads to irritation, and you know the rest.

The problem for you is simply that this isn't something you can treat. If the owners aren't taking it seriously enough to get the the bottom of it, and follow treatment, there just isn't much you can do.

If you're dealing with a bacterial skin infection, and that's what it sounds like, you need an antibacterial shampoo. Davis makes a really good chlorhexidine shampoo, and that's probably what I'd try first. But a word of caution on that. DO NOT use it on the underside of the ears, or allow it to get into the ear canal. Chlorhexidine is ototoxic, and can cause deafness.

Comment

Great idea's

No I do not have a bathing system, I still hand wash. Helly do you think the sugar scrub & tea tree shampoo would help any in these situations? I will also buy some chlorhexidine shampoo from Davis & give that a try. I seem to get a lot of these dogs & they are pretty gross but I still want to do the best job I can with them. I will take a picture the next time one comes in & maybe show you all the type of thing I am talking about. I don't know much a bout Cockers but after I started grooming a few I told my friends not to get any that they have way to many health problems & are pretty nasty. I have seen some that are not this way at all but have seen many that are. Thanks for all of the great idea's. Terri

Comment

Well, a sugar scrub will exfoliate and slough off the plaques quite a bit. Sugar will also draw out pus if you leave it on for a bit. I don't know about using tea tree oil with chlorhexidine. It might be harmless, or it might not. I really have never thought about it, and I don't have a vet handy to ask (she's at lunch).

Comment

Working...
                          X