No announcement yet.

Gah! Bichon head help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another board someone posted a pic of a Bichon that just won some big show, I don't remember which, I'd have to go back and look, but they were commenting on how the style seems to be changing AGAIN and how the eyes are now in the middle instead od the traigle of the nose and eyes. The pic to me looked so unbalanced because there was so much more on top of the head, but it may be the direction the heads are going in now. the only thing that doesn't change in grooming is that things are always changing.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Thank the skies above for this forum. Bichon heads have always been a weak spot for me. no matter how hard I tried they looked like poofy poodle heads. I am finally making progress thanks to all the info here,thanks to Lindsay and Barbara,and others. I have 1 this morning,lets see if I can finally ace it!. I am always afraid of cutting the ear leather while ignoring the ear. I am going to put a little band or barrette at a couple of strategic ear spots just below the leather ,and see if this helps me over that hump!
      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
      Quote:Cath

Comment

Mylady, it was me that posted the picture. Yes, this is the current style for heads. You have to keep in mind though, that as with any breed, the trim is always going to be styled to suit the individual dog's conformation. A bichon should have a good length of neck, so sometimes more hair is left on top of the head to give the dog the appearance of a longer neck. Same holds true for a dog that may have a long neck, but normal length of leg... the dog would look top heavy with so much hair on the top of the head and the shorter legs, so in this case the top of the head would be trimmed shorter. Grooming is always done to accentuate the dog's best features, and camoflauge the faults.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterElixir View Post
          Mylady, it was me that posted the picture. Yes, this is the current style for heads. You have to keep in mind though, that as with any breed, the trim is always going to be styled to suit the individual dog's conformation. A bichon should have a good length of neck, so sometimes more hair is left on top of the head to give the dog the appearance of a longer neck. Same holds true for a dog that may have a long neck, but normal length of leg... the dog would look top heavy with so much hair on the top of the head and the shorter legs, so in this case the top of the head would be trimmed shorter. Grooming is always done to accentuate the dog's best features, and camoflauge the faults.
          Oh good, I'm sure you know more about it than I do. I am just getting my Bichon heds perfected. When I saw that pic I thought to myself, back to the drawing board LOL. There are never any hard and fast rules when it comes to grooming becaise every dog is going to be different and the trim has to be adjusted to make the dog look it's best. But still (can you post the pic here?) that doog looked so "heady" compared to what I am used to and I know in the past when there have been dogs winning with a certain look it tends to start being copied.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Yes, I will post the pic below. If you go to the Westminster website and watch the breed judging video for the bichons, you will see what the current trend is for bichons. The dog pictured below is from probably the most famous bichon kennel, and the handlers that show these dogs are known as THE trendsetters... they are the people responsible for rounding the heads in the first place. If they trim their dogs a different way... soon enough, everyone else is doing it too. The dog below is maybe a little extreme, but again, without putting our hands on the dog, we don't know what it's hiding...
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X