Gah! Bichon head help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gah! Bichon head help please!

I need help with Bichon heads. I've been doing these for the better part of 6 years and I'm STILL not happy with my heads! It's mainly the part around the ears and eyes that I think are off (of course, I can't take pictures where I work, so nothing to show you). The back of the ears don't seem to blend in well, and always appear a bit too think, so they stick out and create a football head effect. And I just can't get the Bichon expression to show through the eyes. This is so frustrating and I have two coming tomorrow! Any advice/videos/pictures? Thanks

Do a search for BBird's blog. She had wonderful instructions on how to get that "look".

Comment

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=VID00022.flv

These little videos from Lindsey Berry Dicken were very helpful to me.
      Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by Full_Groom View Post

This is really good! Thanks
        "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
        Quote:Cath

Comment

I too have struggled with bichon heads. I bought both the pet and show bichon vids from Jodi Murphy and I gotta say they really helped me.
          The explaination of expression about the eye to nose triangle especially, and the V from under the chin line to start rounding just really "clicked" for me.
          Hope this helps.
          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by caninecrazy View Post
            I too have struggled with bichon heads. I bought both the pet and show bichon vids from Jodi Murphy and I gotta say they really helped me.
            The explaination of expression about the eye to nose triangle especially, and the V from under the chin line to start rounding just really "clicked" for me.
            Hope this helps.
            Good luck
            OH so you say this, yet you don't give me details?! Gee, thanks! That video is on my list of vids to buy when I can (so next year if I'm lucky). I watched the linked video and think it will help.

Funny how I just realized I can't tell you how I do them, but as I do them I know (if that makes sense). I'm pretty sure my mess up is by lifting the ears. We shall see!

Thanks all!

Comment

Step-by-Step Bichons

Barbara Bird has a wonderful blog of her own that she started before doing the blog on this site. Not only is there Bichon info, but much, MUCH more. I am sending the link to the Bichon Grooming, which in turn has links to many pages and "how-to's" that are absolutely wonderful.

http://www.bbird.biz/page6.html

Comment

P.S.

I think the video that Full Groom put up the link for is good, too. However, that dog has a nice, LIGHT coat that kind of hangs a bit. His head is already gorgeous from her previous grooms.

I think with Barbara's blog you get to see a number of different Bichons (many are kind of ugly to start with like the typical ones we might see, lol) with tougher coats, and you will also see how Barbara has improved her Bichon heads over time. I think her posts show a greater variety that may be ultimately more helpful. At least, they were to me.

Comment

I do many bichons with many different coat types and can make all their coats light and airy like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
                    I think the video that Full Groom put up the link for is good, too. However, that dog has a nice, LIGHT coat that kind of hangs a bit. His head is already gorgeous from her previous grooms.

I think with Barbara's blog you get to see a number of different Bichons (many are kind of ugly to start with like the typical ones we might see, lol) with tougher coats, and you will also see how Barbara has improved her Bichon heads over time. I think her posts show a greater variety that may be ultimately more helpful. At least, they were to me.
                    Hmm I will have to try to find and UGLIER dog next time! Lol. Thought this one was ugly enough, poor guy. Next time I get a new client bichon with long ears, i will try to remember to film it to show how to convert it to a show head. Just FYI... the dog in the video has a thick, harsh coat, it is just a little thin on the top of his head. The dogs I see in my shop are one of two varieties... thin and floppy, or a giant poofy mess!

Comment

scissors

Originally posted by Full_Groom View Post

does any one know what type of scissors she is using in that video ..I am liking the curve and the length on them

Comment

I second (or third) Barbara Bird's blog. I printed out every page so that I had them to reference at work. She really breaks it down so that it is easy to understand.
                        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I've watched a lot of videos on bichon grooming and I have to say those few minutes of Lindsey's video were some of the most helpful I have ever seen! Thanks Lindsey for taking the time to make and post those for all of us frustrated bichon groomin' fools!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by janelle View Post
                            does any one know what type of scissors she is using in that video ..I am liking the curve and the length on them
                            The shears I am using in the video are Buttercut Slim88J curves. My absolute favorite shear ever! I have tons of shears, and I always find myself grabbing for those, they are just the right length and have a nice curve to them. Reasonably priced too. Love em! They look huge in this video, but they arent enormous.

Comment

Originally posted by elizo View Post
                              I've watched a lot of videos on bichon grooming and I have to say those few minutes of Lindsey's video were some of the most helpful I have ever seen! Thanks Lindsey for taking the time to make and post those for all of us frustrated bichon groomin' fools!!!!
                              Amen to that! Thanks Lindsey, and FullGroom and Groomerchick!

For likely the first time in a dozen years...I had a "to die for" coated Bichon come in yesterday AND the owner actually wanted a Bichon look.
                              Panic on the part of the groomer followed, as the last time I did a "proper" Bichon head, I think the style was more like "if they are stepping on their ears, you've done it right".

I ran here, in a full sweat, and viola...not only the thread, but the link to the video.
                              Best Bichon head I've ever done, if I may say so myself!
                              Got me a 30 buck tip too! Thanks you guys...great video Lindsey.
                              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                              X