Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety

Did any of you have bad aniety over your grooms when you first started grooming? I think mine is pretty bad.
    I had 3 for this morning 2 shihtzus and a poddle.all night last night I spent obsessing over exactly how I would do them.then as I got closser to work It was so bad I thought Id throw up.then as soon as I was done the owners loved them and I went home on my way home I went over in my mind everything I did and how I could have done it better.I did this last week too over that bad cocker(thick hair , infected sj=kin yucky )
    I was wondering how long it takes to get your confindence.I guess it doesnt help I took the penn foster class and never had anyone ;TELL" how to do things.and critique what im doing.
    but everyone said they looked good. But I know they could have looked better.

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
    Did any of you have bad aniety over your grooms when you first started grooming?

I was wondering how long it takes to get your confindence. ...Everyone said they looked good. But I know they could have looked better.
    1. OMG YES! Doesn't help that I struggle with an anxiety disorder as well...

2. It will come with time, to be honest I am just starting to "learn" how awesome I am lol. I have been told by many people that I need to "tell myself how wonderful I am" so excuse the slightly arrogant statement please. I am a perfectionist and way too hard on myself. After 2 years I have learned that I groom well and that my clients love me not only for my ability to groom but for me too.
    My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

Originally posted by itsgot2bme View Post
      1. OMG YES! Doesn't help that I struggle with an anxiety disorder as well...
      Ditto.
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I kinda grew up assisting and grooming dogs.

I guess ignorance was bliss. I never really stressed about it. I just liked the creativity of it. I still do. I am looking forward to Thursday and hoping my Shih Tzu client will let me change the styles to cute puppy cuts and get rid of those long ears and very unnecessary long beards. I particularly love when I get the fur all clean and fluff-ready for my attachment combs and scissors. The the fun begins. I do worry about some older folks that are naturally fussy. If I have had a bite, then that keeps me fearful for a while. I guess, like anything it takes time and experience. Ho Hum, another Shih Tzu. I love those japanese trims and want to try something like that. Trying a new shampoo get s me excited. LOL

Comment

Oh Dear!

After 17 years I still obsess like CRAZY!!!!
          Not, before, but During & after....and even AFTER they go home, & I am home....I keep thinking...."oh, Bella's sitting on the couch with them now....they must be seeing that ONE hair I missed"
          I have great clients & great support people who consistently tell me the dogs look fabulous....but it's never enough...because "they" aren't groomers....."they" don't "see" things.
          I "see" every little thing....and It'll be the death of me, LOL!

Comment

I still get anxious, especially with a new dog. I have started calling it stage fright cause thats what it feels like. You know what you are doing, but still want to do the best job you can. You are an artist and the painting never feels loke it's done.

Comment

Yep, I deal with it daily. Some days I think I rock, other days I think I'm the worst groomer in the world. After seeing all the dogs at the APF, all I could think about on the ride home was how bad I s**k at grooming,,,lol

Comment

wow am I ever releived to hear you guys say that!!!!!! Im usually a pretty confident person so I feel a little out of my element with this-
                I have had some of my grooms come out perfect And I think finally Im getting the hang of everything then I have one I struggle with an dright back to doubting myself.Im glad its normal for the most part!!! thanks everyone!!!

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                  Not, before, but During & after....and even AFTER they go home, & I am home....I keep thinking...."oh, Bella's sitting on the couch with them now....they must be seeing that ONE hair I missed"
                  I have great clients & great support people who consistently tell me the dogs look fabulous....but it's never enough...because "they" aren't groomers....."they" don't "see" things.
                  I agree! It's that ONE little thing I couldn't get just right. And I know they'll see it, they have to see something like that, right? Even though they don't mention it, ever, I just know they go home and see it! Or while I'm working and I can't get the left side of the face to match the right side. I really just want to take a 7 to it and be done! lol But I keep struggling, then fudge it a little and hope for the best!

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                    Did any of you have bad aniety over your grooms when you first started grooming? I think mine is pretty bad.
                    >>>>>>>

I have anxiety disorder, and, ironically started grooming to ease some of my anxiety. It was really hard at first. And I did throw up ocassionally when it got really bad. (i was on meds and still am for my anxiety). All I can say is i does get better, and you will get better as time goes on. I still have days where I am not happy with certain grooms, or even any of the grooms I do, but I've come to accept if the owner is happy, then I should at least be content to accept it.

Comment

I don't have doubts before the groom or even during, but as they walk out the door. I think to myself, I should have made transitions smoother, or I see "sticky outies" on the head, leg, etc. I think to myself, they are going to be sitting with their owners and the owners will think, "paid how much for this groom?". lol Yet, I'm booked out 2-5 weeks ahead depending on the time of the year and my clients tell me they love me and their pets love to come see me. but as soon as I have a client cancel a groom without re-booking or just never return, I worry and wonder what I did wrong.
                      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Ferretluv, go to a dog show or two and watch the handlers. If you pay close attention, you'll notice they are CONSTANTLY nit picking the grooms. Spritz and comb, spritz, comb and scissor. Over and over again. They are NEVER finished. So is it any wonder you nit pick too? After all, they're the real experts, and even they are never satisfied with their work.

Take that to heart. Accept it as a fact of life for groomers. We're nit picky sort of people. And once you realize that, you can stop stressing about it. It's just the way we roll.

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                          I'm the EXACT same way...I start worrying the minute I get done with the dog knowing I'll find something out of place no matter what I've done and how the dog looks.
                          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                            We're nit picky sort of people. And once you realize that, you can stop stressing about it. It's just the way we roll.
                            [roars laughing]

Thank Goodness! I thought it was only me.
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Ditto with the anxiety disorder and with the worrying. I have only been grooming for a few months so I am hoping my confidence will build. I will keep going over and over the dog until the parent comes to get the dog. And of course once they get on the floor and shake I am following them around with the scissors. Sometimes as I am grooming I will get nervous that I am not doing well and will literally get sick and have to take the dog off the table and go to the washroom. I am just so worried that the owners won't be happy or that the dog will be stressed out after the groom. I spend as much time hugging as I do grooming...and twice that worrying. No wonder I can't make any money lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X