Commission how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commission how to?

So I start my new job soon and I'll be paid commission. I trust my new employer as much as one can trust someone new, but commission is new to both of us (and she's the manager of the vet clinic, not a groomer).

How do you keep up with how much you make? Are there any hints to make it easier, or do you just say X dogs at XX rate, and so forth and so on, then do the math at the end of the week? They'll be taking out taxes and such, but the gross will be on the paystub and that's what I want to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the pointers!

PS My new job can't start soon enough. Gave my two weeks notice and they're killing me! I had 10 today (including a cocker in full coat, three poodles, and only two good dogs of the whole bunch). Tomorrow I have 12 (which include 2 bichons with hair roughly 4 inches that the owner likes that way, and a St B. Along with a few new clients!) WTF? Wonder if I could just not show up! lol

I write the dogs name date how much full price is how much comiision is like this
    daisy -poodle- full groom- 45.00- comission=22.50
    I turn it in like a time sheet at the end of the week I copy it and turn in the origional.

Comment

Being a business owner now but having worked in this field for a very long time, the 'norm' is to be paid on a commission of approx 50%. I kept an appt book and kept records on breed, brief work done (if I had any dematting or extra charges etc...) price charged and my percentage.

You may want to clear a few things up though...
      I have worked with some shops that only included 'my' actual work, they did not give me a percentage of special shampoos which they paid extra for but took no more of my time to use to be honest so I didnt mind) but I also worked at one place.. they took a split of the walk in services that required nothing on their part, ex; nail cuts
      do they supply all the materials (cotton balls, paper towels shampoo, dryers etc...) I did work at one shop (briefly!) they expected me to bring in my own shampoo, my own supplies but they still asked for 50%... WTF.

Just be sure to cover all your questions before you begin. It never seems to amaze me just how nice some places can be, a pleasant place with good friendly folks while others felt I should be happy to work in a dark, crummy space, pay for everything but they just took part of my money.. sheesh

Comment

Agree with above...
        Get a little notebook & write down each dog's name & price for each day. Add it up & figure your %. Get yourself a little pocket calendar & jot down your total for each day. Add it up at the end of Pay Period, submit & have them take taxes out

(ok, I'm old-school, but I just prefer to keep written books compared to storing info on E-gadjets)

Comment

I have always had a daily pay sheet I kept that I handed in weekly for my pay check list the dogs you groomed price daily total then combine you total for the week x.% ...... for example

daily total
          --------------------
          Mon 200

Tues 180

Wed 245

Thurs 150

fri 235
          -----------------------
          $ 1010.00 groom totals

x .50

hope this helps make sure you keep a copy for your records

Comment

All the groomers in my shop have a note book that we keep a daily list of owners name, breed and price of groom. We have a sheet we turn in daily to the office and a weekly total sheet. In my note book I also list the pets name and time of release and check them off as I get them done. It helps me keep up with who is going home 1st, who is late pick up etc,,,, I have only been grooming about 1 & 1/2 years and I still get overwhelmed some days. Monday I had 7 full grooms and 2 fff & brush out shelties, yesterday I had 7 full grooms. My list helps keep me from obesssing over evey little hair and move on to the next dog...

Comment

Grooming in a Vet Clinic

I groom in a vet clinic and I use a 3x5 card to record each dog. All the info I need to repeat the groom the next time they come in along with the price I charge etc. That way after the first groom I don't need to deal with the office files anymore because I have my own records on hand. The Clinic probably uses computer program that won't include room for grooming notes. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice! I get paid 60% and they supply everything I need (and are apparently ordering it now so it will be there on day 1 of my start! wahoo). So I'll keep a little notebook and use that as a time-sheet. I think that would be best for all involved, and save the Manager time she could spend elsewhere. And they're paying for me to relicense myself as a Vet Tech (so I won't go broke in the slow months and can 'cross work' if needed), and for my CE. I'm not worried about them taking advantage of me, to be honest, because they're offering so much.

I will ask them about the extras, and how that will be charged. The walk-in NTs are done in the exam rooms, so I won't be interrupted for those. But I do want first option to do the walk-in baths (groomings is appointment only). Otherwise, the kennel people bathe them. I wouldn't have thought to ask that beforehand!

RudyRoo, though I wasn't asking about keeping track of my dogs, I had to comment on your post. A year and a half out and you're doing all that? Impressive! I've been grooming six years and I'm hoping that will be my full-time work (unlike the 12 I have going now). But I use a dry erase board to keep track of everyone for the day. You impress me!

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

I keep a daily production sheet which has the dog, breed, clip, base price, final price (any add ons , dematting etc...) , I get 50% for all my grooms so i just divide the day by 50%. I work for family so its not so much of me keeping track of pay as me keeping track of what Im doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Groomerchick View Post

RudyRoo, though I wasn't asking about keeping track of my dogs, I had to comment on your post. A year and a half out and you're doing all that? Impressive! I've been grooming six years and I'm hoping that will be my full-time work (unlike the 12 I have going now). But I use a dry erase board to keep track of everyone for the day. You impress me!

Thanks again everyone!
                    The info on how I keep on track was an just an extra tidbit while I was at it,, ,,, no charge,,,,giggles. They are remodeling grooming where I work and we do have a dry erase board, wish we would start using it! Right out of school I could barely do 4 a day, but since I started coming here, I ditched alot of what they taught me and have learned how to be more time efficent from all the experienced groomers on this board, especially Particentral. She rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
                      The info on how I keep on track was an just an extra tidbit while I was at it,, ,,, no charge,,,,giggles. They are remodeling grooming where I work and we do have a dry erase board, wish we would start using it! Right out of school I could barely do 4 a day, but since I started coming here, I ditched alot of what they taught me and have learned how to be more time efficent from all the experienced groomers on this board, especially Particentral. She rocks!
                      What did she tell you that helped?

Comment

Originally posted by windfall4 View Post
                        What did she tell you that helped?
                        She has a great blog, Grooming Smarter. Her advice has really help me increase my speed and improved my grooming methods. You need to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X