How do you find a good groomer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find a good groomer?

I really need a part time groomer. I came home from APF to find 15 messages on my machine and a list of probably 8 or 10 names and numbers that the Saturday girl had taken during the time she was there answering the phone. I'm only just getting to the point that I really need someone else grooming. I don't do large dogs and I'm turning away a bunch of them lately, hate to lose all that money. I've put ads on craigs list and have an ad here on PG. I started to put an ad in the newspaper but found out they wanted $250. That's just crazy. I'm actually thinking of calling around to the shops in the area to see if they know of anyone that might be looking. Don't get me wrong I get calls but I've just not found a perfect fit. Does anyone have any good ideas for finding someone?

No good ideas, but my employer can't find another groomer either.....We groomers are either a flakey bunch or everyone "good & normal" already has a job....

Comment

I'm on the other side of it.. I'm a good groomer, not flakey (well, maybe a little.. lol, after all I have been working with dogs for 25 years...) and I can't find a good employer!! I keep working in shops with flakey, dishonest owners.. It's SO frustrating.. I get a lot of phone calls and when I get done talking to a perspective employer, I'm like.. NO WAY... They sound NUTS!! I've got an interview on Thursday with what seems like a "normal" employer.. But I don't have my hopes up.. (sigh) SO, If anyone is looking for a groomer in the NE NJ area, or North East Pennsylvania area, let me know!! lol

Comment

A groomer friend having the same issue finally hired a girl who just graduated from a local grooming school and is finishing the training herself . She still has a lot to learn but is seems to be working out ok.

Comment

Best way to find a good candidate would be to contact the best local grooming school and ask them for potential job placement of a graduate .top of the class would be your best bet .they will have the basics then you can do the finish teaching they will need to excel.

Comment

Teach someone that is interested in becoming a groomer. That way they learn "your" way and all goes well. Have them sign papers to work for you for so many years and/or whatever length of time that is agreeable for both parties. Have them give you their time (12 weeks)free of charge in exchange for the education you provide them with. That would be like going to a grooming school, getting the education and hands on experience needed to become a groomer, without the BIG $ expense. Then after the 12 weeks or agreed upon timeframe for the learning experience, you could decide if they would work out. Then draw up different contracts if it did work out. But the potential student would certainly need to be dedicated and both of you work together to accomplish this goal on both parts. That could solve your searching problem and give someone a Fantastic Opportunity to learn and receive hands on training for this business.

Comment

Originally posted by lightning View Post
              Teach someone that is interested in becoming a groomer. That way they learn "your" way and all goes well. Have them sign papers to work for you for so many years and/or whatever length of time that is agreeable for both parties. Have them give you their time (12 weeks)free of charge in exchange for the education you provide them with. That would be like going to a grooming school, getting the education and hands on experience needed to become a groomer, without the BIG $ expense.
              Unfortunately, that's probably not legal. In most, if not all, states if someone is doing work for you they have to get paid for it. I know I got paid minimum wage when I started training, until I was able to hold my own scissors, so to speak.

You also might not be able to force anyone to work for you for "so many years" in exchange for their training. They're recieving on-the-job training...they aren't indentured servants. It's really no different than being trained at any other place of business. I know for sure I wouldn't have agreed to work for nothing, followed by being required to work for the company for a set number of years in exchange for being trained to run a robot in a factory.
              Last edited by Helly; 03-10-10, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Where are you?? I'd work for you for free if you were in Central Florida. I'm a student groomer, but very eager to learn. I'm still looking for places willing to let me hang out and observe while I help out doing whatever needs to be done. Good Luck!!

Comment

Teach someone that is interested in becoming a groomer. That way they learn "your" way and all goes well. Have them sign papers to work for you for so many years and/or whatever length of time that is agreeable for both parties..
                  I have actually never understood this. I don't find teaching someone to groom to be any help to me what so ever. I have a bather already so I don't need anyone to bathe for me. I do train people on the side by private contract. I only train 2 a year or I can get fined by the state for running a "SCHOOL" without a license. The state frowns on that. I am kept very busy when I'm training. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but when I have a student I'm constantly watching and instructing so it actually takes away from the number of dogs I do in a day. I'm already too busy to think so I really need someone to lighten my load just a little and take on some of the big dogs I'm missing out on.

Maybe I'm just being too picky. I just really don't want to have to fire someone down the line because I chose badly.

Comment

Yeah Helly, you are probably right! It is a shame that the good ole fashioned barter system..trading one supply for a demand has been thrown out the window by bureaucracy, along with the help thy neighbor theory. As far as the time frame (I used 1 year as an example) that could have been a mutual agreement between the two parties. I have to disagree with you about the $ vs the experience. I believe their are still some honest, knowledge seeking people that would gladly like to be taught a trade that would enhance their lives without being paid for their time. Personally, I refuse to believe that it's all about the almighty dollar, I may very well be the minority in that belief, but I do have hope that their are others that still believe knowledge and what you do with it is so much more rewarding and satisfying than money.

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                      No good ideas, but my employer can't find another groomer either.....We groomers are either a flakey bunch or everyone "good & normal" already has a job....
                      ROFL... I completely understand this! I began in this business 30+ yrs ago.. I thought it was only breeders who were 'flakey'... then as time went on, I began to see.. it is hard to understand the 'artistic temperment'. The really good groomers have their own business' or are in a place where the employer knows what they have...
                      To date at this salon: we have gone through 7 groomers in less than 5 years. A few were just out right crazy, one left to take another line of work (a single mom & we completely understood) then there was the one who felt after grooming for all of 3 months she knew how to run my business better than I did, one who have language that would have made sailors blush... the list is interesting.

Training your own staff from scratch sounds all well and good BUT while you are doing this you are working twice as hard and not often does it really turn out well. There are no hard and fast answers, no magical cures... be patient and realize all things happen when they are supposed to AND be grateful... there are so many who are out of work and here you are, looking for help because you are tooooo busy!

Comment

I would try contacting all of your local kennel clubs, obedience training schools and conformation training classes. I run into show people who groom out of their home on the side or own/work at salons all the time in my show classes. Some of them specialize in only grooming short-legged terriers, or whatever breed they show, etc.

Just put the word out to all of them that you are looking for someone experienced with dogs and grooming. You would be surprised at how many good canidates who are experienced and knowledgeable with dogs are lurking in these classes. Your odds are much better than finding some random person off the street. Many classes also have bulletin boards where you can post flyers.

Comment

I have to disagree with you about the $ vs the experience. I believe their are still some honest, knowledge seeking people that would gladly like to be taught a trade that would enhance their lives without being paid for their time. Personally, I refuse to believe that it's all about the almighty dollar, I may very well be the minority in that belief, but I do have hope that their are others that still believe knowledge and what you do with it is so much more rewarding and satisfying than money.
                          At the end of the day, it's ALWAYS about the money. Knowledge and whatever don't pay the bills and put food in your mouth or clothes on your back.

There's also a huge difference between gaining knowledge for the sake of knowledge and being trained to do a job. When I was being trained to run that robot, I was actually doing work that the company would be paid for. I was doing it slow, and had someone babysitting me, but I was doing the work. So why shouldn't I expect a piece of the action? Why should they profit from my inexperience?

Almost every job out there requires some sort of training period. And trainees are paid for their time. Why should groomers be any different?

Comment

Working...
                          X