Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare breeds - Bichon Bolognese, Cotton, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare breeds - Bichon Bolognese, Cotton, etc...

Are the rest of you seeing more and more of these? Think they are replacing Shih Tzus & Lashas? Of course, breed standards are to do almost nothing trimming wise but no owner wants that. So I just put 2 Bichon Bolognese in regular Frise styles. I ran into a site online that puts the Bichon Frise, Bichon Bolognese, Havanese, Cotton, and Maltese in a "group" together as related.

The Bolognese, Havanese, and Cotton have nightmare hair. Thoughts? Ideas? Recently I had a Cotton owner come in with a picture of a Westie! I said, "well, I can kind of do that, but the Westie ears won't work. If you don't mind short ears let's try a Bichon type head." She okayed it, and LOVED it. It worked beautifully on this Cotton. Of course I'm pretty pleased with myself for seeing that it could work, then when I read today that they are kinda related I'm even happier about seeing the similarity.

What are you doing with these breeds?

Since breed standard is basically hair to the floor with some variances, I do what I do on any of those type dogs-what the owner wants and can keep up in between stylings! Like a yorkie or shih...if they ask for a breed clip I explain it grows to the ground and I can do it any length they want in between 1/8' and the floor. Completely preference.
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

OT

But everytime I see Bolognese, I think of a piece of Bologne. Sad, and makes me chuckle. Though I'd love to get one of these in! My little Hav is so precious!

Comment

I do a westie type head on my havanese, including tipping the ears. I love it and it suits her sassy personality!

Comment

Are the Bolognese the biggest wimps ever or what?
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
            Are the Bolognese the biggest wimps ever or what?
            I kinda see that, but at least this little girl is a trooper. Happy girl, glad to be groomed, stands great for scissoring. Her brother, on the other hand, is a little hyper. Pants too much (shut it, gotta see if this is even, *blow up nose* ok, have 2 seconds to look...lol)

Comment

We're getting some Havanese lately & I have one Coton that is a rescue.. Those dogs are the first I've ever seen of those breeds.

Comment

I've yet to meet a bolognese, but used to get quite a few of the other two. Just put em in teddy bear trims. I wish they'd replace the Lhasa's As for the ears, I love tipped ears on maltese and shaved ears on shihs and poodles, so I'm sure I'd like it on them too!

Comment

My GracyRose is a Bolognese, her coat is more "bichony" and I groom her as such although right now she is in a Bedlington. She is 6 years old and an absolute lover (a lot of you met her in Atlanta). Many blood lines track the Bichon Frise, Bolognese and Coton De Tuler being the same breed (similar to Toy Poodle, Miniature and Standard) and the only difference is size with Bolognese being the smallest and Coton the largest. Another book shows them the same exact dog just having different names depending on what Country they come from and this line includes the Maltese and Havanese as well.

Who knows?

Comment

i groom 2 havanese and winter they are left to grow out with fft every few weeks and in summer i use the longest wahl SS comb along the legs and blend into the legs, i barely take any length off the legs. heads are usually a modified tb of some kind. I dont think i have ever once been asked to anything in particular. I just do what i think will look cute and it usually does lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X