First time in 30 yrs of grooming that someone has asked me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time in 30 yrs of grooming that someone has asked me

to do tasseled ears on a Poodle that I'm grooming today. I've done many, many a Bedlington, but never a Poo.
    It's a Std. Poo, and I humbly ask the powers that may know....any guidance? Are the guidelines essentially the same as a Bedlington?

Wasn't quite sure where to look for a pic, etc.... TIA.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Well I looked at some old Poodle Variety's and The tassel on the ears looks exactly the same to me,as the tassel on the Bedlington. But that is my only experience having never done a
    Bedlington,and just played with tassels on my own poodles. Have a great day Bern!
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

Hmm, Bernie, that`s a good question. I know Notes From The Grooming Table shows tassle ears on a poodle, but I almost never do them, so I never really paid attention. The only times I ended up doing them to poodles was when they ears were very matted on top from old bows, scratching, etc, and I didn`t really want to shave the ear. I just basically did a cocker ear, and even though this is probably wrong, it still looked nice.

Now, where the heck is that book?........

Comment

I'd imagine you'd do them the same. I do know that the Dandie ear should have about 1" from the place where the tassel starts, to the end of the ear, then 1" hanging off the ear to the tip.
        Depending of the size of the poo, I'd think that they should be a little larger???

Comment

Aw, come on Bernie

Fake it!

Comment

Admit it.

Originally posted by epilady View Post
            Fake it!
            You don't know either. (lol!)

Comment

Originally posted by epilady View Post
              Fake it!
              My thoughts exactly!!!
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

Bernie, just be sure that the owner wants tassels and not a spaniel ear. Sometimes what they ask for and what they want are two different things. Kinda like the "puppy cut" or "teddy bear cut."

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                  Bernie, just be sure that the owner wants tassels and not a spaniel ear. Sometimes what they ask for and what they want are two different things. Kinda like the "puppy cut" or "teddy bear cut."
                  And you, Helly, win the prize.

I called the owner and 'fessed up there was 1 tidbit of detail (or in this case...de-ears) in the world of grooming I was unfamiliar with, and could she elaborate?

the answer...."you know, the straight line straight across the ear about 1/2 way down".

Comment

I've always done a straight line on a poo tassle instead of the diamond bedlington ear.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

My co-worker (who shows toy poodles) likes to put tassels on her retired champions. Its easier to keep up. She doesn't trim it up like a bedlington, she just clips the top and leaves the tassel part long. Its kind of cute.

Comment

I've done lots of tassles on poodles. Except they are usually referred to as "save as much of the ear as you can".
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                          I've done lots of tassles on poodles. Except they are usually referred to as "save as much of the ear as you can".
                          LOL Sheila! Yeah, or the infamous "just cut out the mats". OMG....I SO want to do that someday! Right before I hang my clippers up for good...I believe I will. (Subtitled..."From Rags to Rags With Large Bald Spots")

Comment

tassel

a tuft of threads or cords fastened at one end to form a pendant ornament. From the dictionary. And from the Bedlington standard ,"Thin and velvety in texture, covered with fine hair forming a small silky tassel at the tip."
                            OK , I admit I was trying to be funny before and Bernie asked the owner what she really wanted and got the info. What she really wanted is not a tasseled ear, but her own version, in her own mind.
                            In Notes it does discribe a correct tasseled ear. It also shows an ear style called "Spaniel" , which seems to be what the owner wanted.

Comment

I always do a spaniel type ear. I never liked the real tassel on a poodle. It used to be popular 30 yrs ago when the Dutch clip was so popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X