Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mylady
    replied
    I just heard back from the vet. I am glad I called. Apparently there was a misunderstanding. The vet said he would never recommend Ivory soap, he wants an antibacterial soap used. So I guess it's good I didn't bathe him yesterday!

Leave a comment:

• mylady
    replied
    I put a call into the vet to ask specifically what form of Ivory soap to use and to see if there were any special instructions. The vet was busy and apparently all the chart said was "wash with soap, rinse well" so that wasn't much help. They will call me back with more specific instructions when the vet has a free moment. If the soap stings I don't want to hurt him, he has A LOT of these open sores, Some are fairly small, but still, in the middle of his back, there are probably 20 open areas. Some nickel size to quarter size. He used to have fewer but they were much bigger. I was thinking of just filling a jug and letting that run over him to rinse him instead of using my hose. I don't have a lot of water pressure since I think my pump is only a 2.5 g/p/m but I think pouring the water over gently might be better for him. Poor guy, he's just gone through so much.

Leave a comment:

• BeeJL
    replied
    Originally posted by mylady View Post
    Now I feel really bad that I didn't wash him today. .
    You made the right decision under the circumstances. And you followed through by asking here. I don't see any reason to fee bad.

Leave a comment:

• Helly
    replied
    I too would bathe the dog, per doctors orders. I wouldn't second guess the vet. If he said use Ivory, I'd use Ivory. He probably meant the dish washing liquid, not the bar soap, and that's what I'd use.

I'd also encourage they get the dog to a dermatologist and get a second opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Smart-n-Pretty
    replied
    In addition to what others have said I thought about how prolonged rinsing would flush the infected area. Don't use a recirculating bather.

Leave a comment:

• mylady
    replied
    Thank you. I'll email them and let them know that I'd like to come back out and give him a bath. My issue is, being mobile, I cannot cage dry him. Would it be ok to dry the areas that aren't directly near the sores? They seem to be concentrated in one section of his back. They have had so much blood work and skin tests done on this dog. They sent samples to Cornell. These are the type of people, if I tell them or vet tells them they need something for their dogs they do it, no questions asked. If he needs weekly baths, I know they would have them done. Now I feel really bad that I didn't wash him today. If I could have given him any relief and passed that opportunity up, well, that just makes me feel awful. I really appreicate all the quick responses.

Leave a comment:

• pooh13
    replied
    In the past when I worked in a vets office I had many clients with similar skin issues,Yes I had to bath them I would normally use and anti bacterial shampoo or script .spot shaving was not always done it depended on the breed of the dog Goldens etc were not spot shaved as to not remove the scabs and open the wounds,Instead we soaked the dogs for several minutes in the shampoo to help soften the scabs so they would fall off the dog without them being ripped open.the hardest thing to convince pet owners is that the one bath every month or so is not going to help this dogs skin issues they need to be bathed weekly to sometimes several times per week no medicated shampoo or treatment will work in one treatment if they are not willing to bring them to you for regular treatments at least try to convince then to do it themselves.Until this is done religiously the dogs will continue to have sores and irritations.

Leave a comment:

• windywaycavaliers
    replied
    I am a little late in on this thread,,but I personally would bathe him. But I would be careful, too. And I can really understand where you are coming from- it can be tough to judge when we are genuinely soothing something or possibly agitating it more, especially when there is a medical history like this involved. But the Vet might be right here- not about the Ivory soap though. He likely recommended this for a few reasons. First--anyone can grab a bar at the store or often has it on hand at home. Secondly, there is sodium silicate (sand and lye in widely various ratios) and magnesium sulfate (similar to Espom salts) in this soap, and no glycerin, which would definitely aid in drying the skin- which is the right idea to help slough dead skin, dry up the sores, and spur the skin to promote accelerated healing, but it could also cause the skin to enter an accelerated or hyper state of keratoplasticity and in the end, could cause more harm than good because it is NOT a gentle product. AND--putting it directly on open skin is going to HURT and could even burn the sensitive and fresh skin trying to form and move up under those scabs.
    Personally, I would do a lot of cool water rinsing before the shampoo- low water pressure, very little active scrubbing with my fingers, an undiluted hypo tearless shampoo, and lots of cool water rinsing after. No HVing, squeeze the moisture well from the coat with towels (but even towels washed in some detergents can irritate highly sensitive skin), and then circ dry in a kennel. It is tough though, you're right- because you do have to comb and brush some to get dead coat out, and you do want to loosen up what's o the skin that needs to come up and off, and you still don't want to hurt the dog. But, if you don't do it--the right way,,,they might do it,,, the wrong way. So I would still bathe the poor guy. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Cat Crazy
    replied
    I think I would have washed him up, especially since they are friends, not just clients. Since the vet said to wash the sores, I doubt an over-all bath would cause harm. More than likely a bath would help the sores to heal. You could use a Chlorhexadine soap on the wounds as that is what most vets use.

Leave a comment:

• tia2370
    replied
    I think if you washed the dog, you might want to ask the vet about getting a sterile solution to flush the wounds with after the bath and shave. This would get any hair pieces or soap residue out of the wounds. Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• D'tails
    replied
    I would definitely bathe him.

I not only think of bathing as a way to keep dogs clean and smelling fresh, but baths are an important part of maintaining healthy skin and coat.

I wish the importance of bathing and grooming was more widely recognized by vets, groomers and owners as a theraputic way to prevent and help treat skin conditions. If I were a vet I would routinely refer clients with skin conditions to a groomer for frequent baths as part of a skin treatment program.

Leave a comment:

• macypeep
    replied
    wash 'em

I would have washed the dog. I just think it would be better to keep the area as clean as possible. What did the vet tell the owners it was. there is something called pemphigous foliacious that will give a dog pussy sores all over its body. my mom had a shepard mix with this. it's basically the dogs immune system attacking itself and it is a genetic type thing from my understanding. I just kept him shaved down and clean.

Leave a comment:

• mylady
    started a topic Bathing a dog with open sores

Bathing a dog with open sores

I am wondering if I made the right call. I have an Aussie client that breaks out in these terrible scabs. I am often shaving the hair off (which brings the scabs off as well) because the scabs hold infection underneath. Usually if they don't keep it clipped I find green puss under the scabs. Well, every time he has had open sores I have opted not to bath him. I do his nails, clipper his back for them (since the vet does the exact same thing and these people aren't really just clients, they are friends of mine). Today they told me the vet told them to wash him in ivory soap and not put anything else on the sores. His wife had clipped much of his hair off and many of the scabs were gone, and he didn't look too bad, a few small sores. But when I felt him I realized she had missed some, so I grabbed the clippers and removed those and found two quarter size sores, one had a lot of puss underneath. He insisted the vet knew he had open sores and had still said he should get a bath, but I told him, especially with the green puss, I didn't feel comfortable doing it. This poor dog has so many health issues, is allergic to just about everything, including every thryoid med they've tried to put him on, he has siezures, they think he has cushings I believe and these scabs just don't ever seem to truly heal up. Should I have bathed him anyway? He really could have used a bath as it has been so long. I was just so afraid of hurting him or making it worse in some way. Thankfully, since they are my friends, they completely understood and didn't push. Told me it was my call. I told them to give me a call if the sores dry up in a week or so and I would come out just for him (they have 2 other dogs I do). I just worry that perhaps I made the wrong call and should have washed him. Maybe that would have made his skin better. I could really use some advice on this one.
Working...
X