breed specific grooming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breed specific grooming

anyone ever changed from all breed grooming to only certain breeds? how did this work for you? I'm not talking about only doing small breeds, but only certain breeds. I'm considering only grooming pit bulls and chihuahuas...... it just might work where I live. but seriously, I have been tossing around the idea of being somewhat exclusive. thinking about cats only, but I really enjoy dogs. so maybe just certain breeds. I thought I could really educate myself on the breed specifics and be 'the groomer' of that particular breed. what are your thoughts?

It would be easy, that's for sure!!!! Not much to grooming Pit's and chi's Probably make a ton of cash too!

Good luck

Comment

If you are really looking to corner a market, do Wheatens.

Probably every groomer in the area will refer theirs to you.

Comment

Well that is an interesting concept! If that is what you like do it. I have limited myself to just small -medium,dogs that are regular clients,no more mattballs,flea guys,big hairies,. But I don't think anyone around these parts could make a living by being that breed specific. I like em all,if they are nice little dogs,nice people.
        "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
        Quote:Cath

Comment

I'd like to eliminate certain breeds (not mentioning which ones because I don't want to offend anyone), but would take 1/4 of my clients out of the picture, lol.

Honestly, there are some breeds that I'd just prefer not doing, but I still like them, but have come to the conclusion that they (these breeds) have been so heavily bred, without regard to health, conformation, behavior, etc that they are all (at least the ones I have on my list) just PITA to groom.

There are a couple of breeds that I to specialize in (not really, but it seems that way) and I'm sure that most groomers see this in their salon's as well, but I can't see JUST doing them and no others. However, I know there are a very few who do just that from what I've heard and supposedly do quite well.

Comment

Gosh, Idk?? Do you really have enough of those two breeds to ONLY do them? I feel like I have a thousand goldens...but I probably couldn't JUST do goldens and stay busy enough?

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
              I'd like to eliminate certain breeds (not mentioning which ones because I don't want to offend anyone), but would take 1/4 of my clients out of the picture, lol.

Honestly, there are some breeds that I'd just prefer not doing, but I still like them, but have come to the conclusion that they (these breeds) have been so heavily bred, without regard to health, conformation, behavior, etc that they are all (at least the ones I have on my list) just PITA to groom
              Oh, PLEASE give a hint as to the breed your talking about...

Comment

Pretty sure she's talking about Wheatons!

Comment

I'm sure that in larger metropolitan areas you could specialize in one or two breeds, like Poodles or Cockers. I know some people who only groom terriers.

You could call where I live "Redneck Central" and not be too far off the mark. The population density is pretty small. If I want to groom a steady stream of clients, I have to be prepared to take just about anything that walks through the door. And because I work for a vet, I get to take on the dogs (and cats) that have been fired by all the other groomers in the area.

If you live in an area where the population can sustain it, you'd make a boatload of cash grooming cats only.

Comment

While I think it might

work with some serious grooming breeds I would be worried about how many people with chihuahuas and Pit Bulls would pay for grooming. And how much. When someone calls to have me groom a short hair Chi I silently think: Why?. I cannot understand why an owner wouldn't just bath the little tyke. Nails sure, but bath? Pit Bulls on a warm day, and not many want baths for those dogs on a cold day, well again I think why not just use a hose with some shampoo? Even if you had the clientele it would be surprising to think you could charge much so you'd have to have a steady stream in. Anyway good luck and let us know how it goes if you try that.
                    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Okay people. Go back and read the OP again. The Chihuahua/Pit Bulls comment was a joke. Y'all shouldn't be taking it seriously.

Comment

There are so many Shih Tzu around here I could probably just survive on them, only I'm pretty sure I would get bored out of my mind. I like having the variety.
                        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Instead of only doing a few specific breeds, maybe you can pick like 5 breeds like you really like and specialize in them along with doing other breeds. If I were you I would pick the, say 5, breeds that you really want to do, learn everything you can about them, show grooming, health problems, etc etc. Then you go around to all your local groomers and vets and tell them that you specialize in these breeds, and leave some business cards. I'm sure that even the groomers would refer clients to you. Before you know it 50% of your business will be the breeds you chose.

My co-worker has been breeding and showing toy poodles for 30 years and she has a TON of poodle clients. She gets referrals all the time from other groomers, breeders, and friends. She even has a couple of groomers that bring their poodles to her. To me, that is a complement.

Comment

there's a girl on here (her name is something weird, like can opener) and she just does terriers. Her website is www.thattenaciousterrier.com and she has a breed list might be something to look at/someone to talk to if you're considering specializing.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                              Okay people. Go back and read the OP again. The Chihuahua/Pit Bulls comment was a joke. Y'all shouldn't be taking it seriously.
                              thank you helly. that would be a dream. and of course I would get $50 for chihuahuas and $150 for for the pits.

I am seriously considering just cats in my future. I was really wondering if anyone has shifted from all breed just specific breeds and how the transition was?

Comment

Working...
                              X