B.Y.O.S.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.Y.O.S.??

Okay I really want to know if anyone else has this problem and what they do. I have my own salon, home based, and I have had a lot of new clients recently, Yay! Anyway I have had 3 different NEW clients come to first grooming and they brought their own shampoo and requested I use. Okay so my problem is I spent a lot of time and money looking for a good shampoo to use, and if these clients had brought good shampoo, and I know those big pet places sell good shampoos, that would be one thing. But no, they bring the cheapest shampoo that walmart sells. Its like sargents brand. The dog smells worse then it did before the bath, they don't feel clean even though I shampooed 3 times, and worse yet, one of the dogs was a mini poodle so I couldn't get the coat right.

Because they were new clients I didn't want to argue. I told them that I had very good shampoo but if they preferred they own that is fine. I did NOT give them a discount and they didn't ask for one. They were all happy with the groom and re-booked, so i'm thinking in the future I will accidentally forget to use theirs so they can see what a clean dog really it. What should I say to these people? Nothing? There aren't many groomers around and some aren't very good so I don't know maybe they make owners bring their own shampoo so they automatically think I require that too? Does anyone else have this problem?

I wiggle my way out of this by using their shampoo....AFTER I wash the dog with my shampoo...a little piece of info I keep to myself. I won't do this if the shampoo has been prescribed by their vet for medical reasons. I like to tell myself that I have done as the client requested. I can already hear some of you tsk...tsking me...and to that I say..."plplplplplplplplplpl!!" ;-)
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I would explain to your clients why the Sargents and Hartz are bad. What they do to the skin and coat of dogs. I let my clients know and would flat out refuse to use theirs.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I say exactly that! "Oh, thank you so much for thinking of bringing your own shampoo, but I've put a lot of thought into what I use because I feel it makes me better at my job. If you still would like me to use what you brought I would be happy to but be forewarned that Fluffy may not look as good as she can."

That way they know what an inferior product can do, and most will want Fluffy to look their best so it's only a very rare and stubborn owner that will still insist on using their shampoo. And if thats what they want, then, hey, they are paying for it! That's what they should get! The only exception should be if it were harmful.
        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I agree with borzoimom I would explain to them the benefits of quality shampoo and ask them if you could try it one time with your shampoo and if they don't like it then they can go back to their shampoo. (If these happens do what five is doing!)
          My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
            I wiggle my way out of this by using their shampoo....AFTER I wash the dog with my shampoo...a little piece of info I keep to myself.

Same here. Frankly, most of the shampoo that clients bring in does not have enough surficant to get the dog clean without using at least half the bottle, and I don't think they would be too happy getting a nearly empty 16 oz bottle of overpriced shampoo handed back to them after one use.

Comment

use your own and squeeze some of their out in the garbage !

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                Except for medicated shampoos or "quality" shampoos, this is what I sometimes do......lol....

If their shampoo has a distinctive smell (which is prob why they bought it) I will add a squirt of it to my "good stuff".

You could also tell them you would rather not use their shampoo because you have very sensitive skin and have to be careful of the products you use so your skin doesn't react.
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

I do the same as Five. Luckily it happens rarely with regular shampoos, mostly they bring Malaseb.

Comment

I have a client with 2 pooshes and a family with terrible allergies that brings their own Suave kids shampoo. This stuff always leaves the dogs slightly greasy and sometimes flaky, so one time I tried using my own shampoo first, rinsing really really well, and then used their shampoo. Finally the dogs were really clean and fluffy.

At the next visit the owner told me that after the last grooming everyone (human) was itching like crazy and asked if I had used any other product on the dogs. So now I ignore the greasiness anf flakes (kills me!) and just use their shampoo only.

Comment

I've only had 2 people in 2 years bring in shampoo, but the 2nd one was just a week ago and he brought Hartz Oatmeal and that stuff SUCKED!! I had to bath that cocker 3x (couldn't use it in the recirc) to get it to feel semi-clean. Thank god it was just a shave down, but it took me a lot longer to bath AND dry that coat. This guy is adamant about using this shampoo, so seeing as how it takes me longer, I may have to charge a bit more simply for the extra time it takes I will admit though, I used a degreaser on the ears, heheh

Like you (op), I've invested time and $ in choosing products which will allow me to do my job more efficiently and effectively, so using a brought-in product DOES effect the final results.

Comment

Perhapse ask if its the smell they like or the feel. That could lead you to being able to say here are the options I have so if you ever like to try one on your groom today.... Otherwise I'm with five too.

Comment

I would just tell them you have a bathing system and it cant be put into that system.the bottle doesnt fit.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                            Unless it is a prescription shampoo from the vet or a specific highly scented aromatherapy shampoo, that is what I do.

They don't know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
                              I wiggle my way out of this by using their shampoo....AFTER I wash the dog with my shampoo...a little piece of info I keep to myself. I won't do this if the shampoo has been prescribed by their vet for medical reasons. I like to tell myself that I have done as the client requested. I can already hear some of you tsk...tsking me...and to that I say..."plplplplplplplplplpl!!" ;-)
                              I do the same thing - except backwards. Not many clients bring their own shampoo unless it's medicated and prescribed by their vet, but I do have one woman with a Llasa who insists I use that Paul Mitchell stuff. (I think that's what it is called - her hairdresser told her to use it **eyeroll**) Tea tree, to make it worse. I HATE the smell of tea tree. The dog has an extremely thick coat which is always dirty, and the shampoo is pretty much worthless on her. I can't stand the way her coat feels afterward - I feel like I'm brushing thick straw. Maybe that brand of shampoo works good on other dogs, but it is horrible on this particular dogs coat.

Soooo...... I use it just to pacify her (first wash) and then I shampoo again with Les Pooch hypo. The woman doesn't know the difference, and my job is easier

Comment

Working...
                              X