Rough day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough day

I woke up early this morning, with a terrible nauseous feeling. I knew that today we were taking Tawney in for her final visit at the vet. But we were also telling the kids this morning. We decided to tell them before we took her. Evie woke up early this morning and I had told her that DH and I would tell her why she was going to her aunts house this afternoon. She kept asking so I knew we couldn't wait longer to tell them. DH held Tawney on his lap and I sat next to the kids. I explained to Evie that Tawney was very sick and we felt she was in pain and that her dad and I did not want to see her suffer, so we were taking her to the vet and the vet was going to give her some medecine to help Tawney go to heaven. She asked if that meant Tawney was going to die, and when we said yes she burst into tears. She cried on and off for about 2 hours. She asked me lots of questions. She asked me if Tawney would see my mom in heaven and if she would take care of her for us. She asked us not to do it a few times as well. It was really hard, but I'm glad we told them before we did it. Steven didn't really understand and then Evie told him that Tawney was going to die and that he understood. He started to cry, but it didn't last long, he just said he didn't want Tawney to die.
    The vet visit was so hard. I have never seen my husband cry so hard in my life. He literally cried so hard both of his contacts came out. He sobbed as he hugged her. The gave her some ace first to relax her, something they hadn't done with Molly. It was hard when they told me it would sting a bit and she whimpered when they gave it to her. When it was time I could see my husband had a hard time letting go of her and putting her on the table. I couldn't watch the needle, I kept a hand on Tawney while I buried my face in my husbands shirt sleeve. It was very peaceful, but so hard. She just looked like she was sleeping. It was just so different than Molly. Please pardon my description, but Molly looked deceased after the injection. Tawney just looked like herself sleeping. I honestly thought when the vet listened for a heartbeat she was going to tell us it hadn't worked. We stayed with her for a while after it happened and I watched my husband dissolve into tears. It tore my heart out to see him in such pain. We left to go pick up the kids and when we arrived Evie started asking us about getting her ears pierced. She had been pestering us the day before but I thought with everything going on that day she would forget. Well, she didn't. I don't have my ears pierced and I was really leary about her having it done. I knew I couldn't watch and it really made me anxious, but I thought, if she really wanted it done, it may make this day happier for her. Well, my sister agreed to come with me as her youngest daughter also wanted her ears pierced. So now my little girl has pierced ears. She has talked about Tawney since and keeps asking her dad if he's sad about Tawney, but her tears have stopped and she hasn't cried about her since we went to pick them up and she knew Tawney was gone.
    My head hurts from all the crying I've done today and I'm exhausted emotionally, but I wanted to thank you all for all your kind words, support, and adivce on what to do in telling the kids.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I'm so very sorry for your loss but I think you handled everything very well. You did the best you could for you beloved pet and your children. Now you need to rest and take care of you.

Comment

Hard to go through. But you gave respect to all concerned, the kids dh, and more importantly Tawney. Kudos to you, nowoff to bed andlet your poor heart heal.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I am so sorry. You did the right thing and it is never easy. I used to work in a vet clinc and even the vets have a hard time.
        Just go ahead and grieve and cry and get it all out. In the past with my own children we have made memorials and planted plants in memory of our animals that way we take care of the plant and it is kinda like taking care of the animal that has died. That is the way it works for me anyway.
        Take care

Comment

WHEN THE TIME COMES
          If it should be that I grow frail and weak
          And pain should keep me from my sleep
          Then will you do what must be done
          For this-last-battle can't be won
          You will be sad I understand
          But don't let grief than stay your hand
          For on this day, more then the rest
          Your love and friendship must stand the test
          We had so many happy years
          You wouldn't want me to suffer so
          When the time comes, please, let me go
          Take to where to my needs they'll tend
          Only stay with me till the end
          And hold me firm and speak to me
          Until my eyes no longer see
          I know in time you will agree It is a kindness you do for me
          Although my tail it's last has waved
          From pain and suffering I have been saved
          Don't grieve that it must be you
          Who has to decide this thing to do
          We've been so close-we-two-these years
          Don't let your heart hold any tears
          Anonymous

Comment

Melissa, I barely know what to say.

Tears are streaming down my face. I agree, you handled it all well. Just imagine Tawney with your Mom when you can go there in your mind. Your husband has you and his children and I know you are a comfort to him. Your children will get over this and grow, and someday love another dog. I dread my day to go thru the goodbye but I think it is still a long way off yet.

Please try to have a restfull day tomorrow and enjoy the Academy Awards to get your mind off of the sadness. BTW, I enjoyed your photos.

I just got a DVR today and really enjoying it. Now I can go potty and not miss a thing on tv. LOL

I don't know why we didn't get one sooner.

Comment

Melissa I am so, so, sorry.
              I'm at bit of a loss for words right now, as I was following your posts, fighting my own battle, and had no relative insight to share.
              I thought about you, your family and Tawney today. Alot. I prayed hard for everything to go smoothly....

It sounds like you did a magnificent job, all the way around.

It does get better. Time may not heal all wounds, but it certainly softens the blows and rounds off the sharp edges.

My heart goes out to you and your husband. Your Tawney sleeps peacefully now.
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Mylady,
                {{{HUGE HUG}}}}
                My condolences to you & your family.

Comment

You are special...

Mylady ( Melissa)you are the BOMB!!! You are such a rock and such a strong human being, you are so far away from me and in away so close. The way you deal with things you are quite the trooper and I commend you. I don't know how you do it, but the more I read the stronger you get. I am so glad that you, as bad as a day you had, took your sweet little girl, to get her ears pierced. You made her day and your Husband's because YOU made your little girl happy. "RIP Tawney" you have a wonderful family, who loves you very much. Lucky girl!
                  ***Darlynn***
                  ***DON"T HATE ME BECAUSE IM POODLEFUL!!***

Comment

Big hug for you and your family. The worst is behind you. When my Harley was getting to the point that Todd and I knew that we were probably going to have to make "the" decsion for her was, to me, the hardest part. I didn't even realize till after I finally took her in to the vet what a pall it had on the entire family. As much as I missed her and loved her, I was surprised to find that it was actually a relief once it was done and I saw how quickly and peacefully she went to sleep.

You made the right choice for your kids. When I posted my advice in your other thread I was thinking about my son at age 6. He could not have handled that kind of information. Both of my girls would have been okay w/it but Tyler was (is) beyond sensitive. We probabaly would have had to made up a white lie for him. When he was 8 he got sea monkey's from Santa. When they died the poor kid would criy so hard he would make himself sick and he barely slept for over a week. We were were really close to taking him to a therapist to help him deal w/the death of brine shrimp. I shudder to think if we had lost one of our dogs or cats before he got older and more able to cope.

I think it's great that you took your daughter to get her ears pierced and a good sign of her coping skills that she's the one who suggested it. I hope you and your husband were able to get some sleep last night and that you feel a kind of relief now that that dreadful anticipation of actually euthing your pet is behind you.
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

I am so sorry,I am sitting here sobbing And I dont even know you.I have had to go through the same thing and it is never easy but you did everything right and it may not seem like it now-you will be glad you did everything you had to do. my aunt had a poodle that she let linger too long because she was thinking of herself and not the dog and now 10 years later she thinks about how she should have done something sooner for missy because she suffered so.
                      you are in our thoughts today hang in there the pain does subside and soon you will remember all of cute little things she used to do when she was well,and younger.
                      (((((((hugs)))))))))

Comment

Awww, sorry for your loss...maybe Tawney is up in heaven playing with my Spike and Winter. I told my son that Spike and Winter are in Heaven now, and they will meet us when we go, and he asked me "how do you know they went to Heaven?" I was dumbfounded and didn't know what to say. Glad the kiddies are handling it well-they seem to be pretty resilient, thank goodness.

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. :{ Big hugs being sent your way.

Comment

So sorry for your loss, I had tears reading your post. Good for you telling the kids the truth, I know we want them to be innocent forever, but trating them like little people sometimes is the best way to go.
                            Big hugs to you, and your family esp your husband
                            If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                              you gave respect to all concerned, the kids, dh, and more importantly Tawney.
                              I so agree. ((((((hugs))))))

Comment

Working...
                              X