Setting angulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting angulation

I was wondering what all of you do when you have a mixed breed or a pure bred in a not to standard groom in ways of setting angulation, underline, chest, etc? I have found I tend to poodle-fy most of the dogs I groom when it comes to that and have to watch myself. I do a Bichon/Shih Tzu mix and I try to set her lines more like a Bichon. I also do so many pet trims on dogs that would normally be left long (for breed standard) and am never quite sure what I should do in ways of leaving a chest or not, having a straighter underline or not, etc. I try to look at the dog and see what body type the dog resembles most. The more barrell chested dogs I tend to do more like Bichons when doing the body, the daintier dogs I do more like poodles. If it is more terrier I try to follow more of a terrier type guidline, trying to make the front legs look underneath the dog, etc. (LOL, I'm just sitting here thinking, a non groomer would read that and think, well where else would the legs be if not underneath the dog? OK, I'm officially too tired to say anymore)
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

It depends on the body type for me. I always try to groom for proportions on these dogs so I have no set. Usually that means longer on the legs, and I like the straight pipe legs, so thats what I usually do for the fronts. The rest depends on which breed they look the most like, if they are fat or thin, if I can make them look shorter or taller, if they have enough chest to leave an underline, if they get brushed at home, etc. All these things go into what I do. Usually it'll be a poodle/bichon-y type thing but its impossible for me to pin down one style exactly because everyone is different!
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Yes, that is the wonderful thing about mix breed styling ,or freestyle ,you can tailor the trim to suit the dog. It sure is a treat to get any dog for me mix or purebred who has nice or cute conformation,no matts,and a great coat to work with. Only a handful come to mind.On almost any pet trim I do I usually find putting some angulation above the hock at the natural bend seems to look good on almsot any type of trim.
      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
      Quote:Cath

Comment

IMO the overall look you should always be aiming for is balance. I try to set lines that give the overall appearance of a well balanced, sound dog. And those lines are pretty close to the same on all breeds, with a few notable exceptions; the Chow's straight stifle, Corgis crooked legs, for example.

Of course, I'm talking conformation here, not breed type. Some breeds have heavy bone, some have short legs and long backs. But healthy, well balanced conformation is still possible, no matter the breed type.

Hocks should be well let down, regardless of breed. Legs should be straight, shoulders laid back not straight up and down, a good turn of stifle, no ewe necks. You get my drift. The appearance of a well built, balanced dog is my goal.

Comment

Working...
        X