Vet Drop off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet Drop off

The vet's next door(practically) called to make an appointment for a very badly matted shih tzu. His body temp was in the 90's when they found him, completely starved, and matted so bad he couldn't walk.
    They stabilized him and we started shaving. Poor thing. Had runny feces pooled under the mats. Was like popping a big bubble. Started seeing blood. It was so matted. Finally we got to the rear and hip bones.... And that's when we saw skin hanging off the dog. I lifted a flap of skin and that's when I saw white bones.... The poor dog's skin was completely eaten away :*(
    That's when we called them and they came and picked him up.
    They said to make up the bill and they'll come and pay it.
    But what do you charge for something like this?! I only got the chest, back, and started the rear. We didn't even get the worst of the matting off his legs. Didn't get to his nails. I think my partner did get his ear hairs out.... they were one big mat. She started scissoring his face down and even knicked above his eye. The poor dog.... his legs were like casts. It took us about 45 minutes to get that little bit of shaving down. Now when they called I quoted them our shih tzu price, when is also our hourly charge, since most shih take us an hour. What do I tell them?? I don't even want the money. I don't even know how they're going to save that dog, with his body being open like that.
    Next question...... We can't get the smell out! My table still smells very badly.. Clippers stink.... What gets it out??
    I feel bad we couldn't help this dog, but when you see that the dog's rear end is being eaten away..... What can you do?

I'd comp the groom. For the smell, try spraying your table with Simple Solutions. I've done it with mine and it did work.

Comment

No where is it written that you have to charge for your work. We do a good amount of "karma" work. Makes me feel good to help out a dog up for adoption or a client who just lost their job and needs a little help.

Comment

There are some "groomings" where I would not charge.

This would be one of them.

Comment

We did 7 Lhasa puppies from a seisure from the spca, All had tight bands of hair around their legs and soaked with urine and feces. No charge! Today I still remember them all. My pay was making them feel good.

Comment

They did put the dog down yesterday. Glad he's free now...
            We've tried Nature's Miracle for cat urine before with no luck.... But I will try simple solutions.
            Thanks.

Comment

Poor little fella. What a heartbreaking life he must have had. I would comp it too. In a few days call and ask them about the dog. IF they managed to save his life and you are able in the future to complete the groom, then would be time enough to charge for him. You might also want to mention at that time that the price you quoted was for a dog in reasonable shape....lol....unless the vet sends you a lot of business. Then you might think of it as cheap advertising.

If you have fully cleaned and disinfected the area and it still stinks, then I would spray straight vinegar on your table, brushes and floor area and let it air dry overnight. Probabaly don't want to leave your blades sitting w/vinegar though cause it might pitt them.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Personally if it was me I would not charge them. But then I do many rescues for free anyway. It never hurts to have good will with the vet next door either. Dont know when you will have an emergency and need them.

Comment

I would try lemon or vinegar to cut the smell other wise those stainless steel blocks or some utencils can do it.

Comment

Well now that the financial angle is covered (and I agree w/ everyone), CC's Miracle Air is just that. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it?
                    You do NOT want a list of the stuff I have sprayed it on w/ 100% results.
                    Chock 1 more great piece of info up...... to this forum.
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                      If you have fully cleaned and disinfected the area and it still stinks, then I would spray straight vinegar on your table, brushes and floor area and let it air dry overnight. Probabaly don't want to leave your blades sitting w/vinegar though cause it might pitt them.
                      Vinegar will rust and/or etch your blades. And I know many people don't like to use it, but sometimes bleach is the best option. This is one of those times, not only because of the smell, but because you don't know what infectious diseases that dog may have been carrying.

Blades I would just wash in hot soapy water, rinse well, blow them dry, and give them a dip in H42. Let them sit overnight, then wipe and oil as usual.

Comment

Sorry to hear the dog was put down...poor baby, at least he was in caring hands toward the end.

Comment

Aww the poor thing.. I am curious why the vet did not shave this themselves being unsure what was underneath.

Comment

I'm so sad the dog didn't pull through. So sad...I wish I hadn't read this now, I feel like crying. Posts don't usually bother me this much...

Tammy in Utah
                            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

You dont charge for those...bleach willl get the smell out of anything...I haven't figured how to get those things out of your head yet...they still visit me at night before I sleep...
                              "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Working...
                              X