Quitting raw while preggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting raw while preggers

My vet advised me against feeding raw while Mary J. is pregnant. The dogs are doing okay on the Orijen,and Mary J. is getting added cottage cheese. I can tell they miss their nightly yogurt and turkey neck though. We have had trouble with our golden chewing a hot spot on her tail again,and I am sure she misses that chewing satisfaction. They were previously getting Orijen kibble for breakie,and raw turkey neck and probiotic yogurt for supper. This is confusing, I guess I should wean the pups on to kibble,and the one that I am keeping ,and the rest of my girls can go back to the turkey necks when the other little darlin's are placed. I respect my vet very much,and am following her advice for now,but my dogs really seem happier when they get the raw. Not to mention those pearly whites from crunching.
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

I'm confused. Are ALL the dogs pregnant? How comes no one gets their raw...just cuz MJ is pregnant?
    And I don't feed raw...but all my dogs get yogurt in their food..every day.

Anybody else think Mary J just needs to pop these puppies out before Poodleluv goes off the deep end????
    I'm coming up there tomorrow and giving that poodle a big, squooshy hug. That'll pop Fa and La, La, and La out!

And put that thermometer down. Rght now.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
      I'm confused. Are ALL the dogs pregnant? How comes no one gets their raw...just cuz MJ is pregnant?
      And I don't feed raw...but all my dogs get yogurt in their food..every day.

Anybody else think Mary J just needs to pop these puppies out before Poodleluv goes off the deep end????
      I'm coming up there tomorrow and giving that poodle a big, squooshy hug. That'll pop Fa and La, La, and La out!

And put that thermometer down. Rght now.
      No,I won't put it down! You can't make me! And I resemble those remarks about going off the deep end. Bitches have puppies every day! I am perfectly calm and normal. Now I must go ,gotta check over the supplies again,and make sure I have extras of little umbilical tie offs soaked in alcohol.And 2 thermometers,and Karo syrup,and Esbilac,and ......I can't give the other guys their turkey neck,even if she is in her crate she knows,and it hurts her little preggers feelings. Except when Nellie goes to work,she gets hers,if Dad remembers to take them.

Comment

I don't understand why. What reasons did the vet give? Is this vet 100% in aggreement of you feeding a partial raw diet on a normal basis?

Here are my thoughts.
        I do not understand why you or the vet would choose to deminish a pregnant girl's nutrition when she needs the best nutrition ever. She is getting ready to nurse puppies, and she needs everything you give her, and the better the nutrition the better for the mother and for the puppies. The only reason I can think of for the vet to say this is if the vet believes the dog kibble is more nutritious than the raw food. Most vets are pretty anti-raw and will dream up every reason possible to convince clients to avoid it. I know of many people that feed raw and would never, ever consider putting their pregnant/nursing dogs on kibble because they are pregnant. Many wean puppies directly onto raw as well. Feeding a quality diet does not mean that diet has to be kibble.

I'm also like 4sibes...how does what you feed your other dogs affect the pregnant dog?

Comment

What do wolves, coyotes and other wild canine species do when they are in whelp? Start a camp fire to roast rabbits and deer haunches before chowing down on them?

I think what your vet told you is pure nonsense funded by dog food companies. If you normally feed raw, I don't see where being in whelp should suddenly prohibit a dog from eating raw food if they are accustomed to it.

Comment

Is your vet normally on board with feeding raw otherwise? While I do know a lot of people who go back to commercial food to wean their pups, I don't know anyone who changes the bitches' diets while pregnant and nursing; much less all the other dogs'. Why change, especially if you're only doing partial raw?

Comment

Go get 'em Sibes ! I always gave my pregnant bitch raw, and alot of pups arefed rawfrom the start, thats all they had befroe ww2, but do what you need to. Sibes while there sqoozing Mj, break the [email protected]#% thermometor !!!!!
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post

Salmonella.

Comment

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
                  Salmonella.
                  Yup. I got a lecture. This is 1 great vet,and not just her her staff too. Normally I just don't talk about the raw thing,what is that expression ? Don't ask. Don't tell. I would never want to have a major disagreement with them over there they have been my vet forever. She actually bought the practise 12 years ago from my ex-boss,they are buddies,I am buddies with him. Groom his dog. Don't want to rock the boat. Or tip it over. I have a good thing going. When I had an emergency with my dogs ,back when I was a single parent, they would ket me make payments . Not many will do that these days. She has come to the house and held my hand while Hattie whelped before too. And Jim traded me one standard groom to check up and vaccinate my litter that aren;t born yet.These are good folks,and good docs,just not on the same "raw" journey amny of us are.

Comment

Maybe something non-chicken as a substitute? Lower risk of salmonella and you can still have chewy bones for them.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
                      Maybe something non-chicken as a substitute? Lower risk of salmonella and you can still have chewy bones for them.
                      Yes, I am going to get some raw meaty beef bones.Good idea

Comment

Okay, so at least you understand that your vet is anti-raw. That is extremely common, and not a reason to quit using that vet. Most of us would not have vets if we could only use one that agrees with us 100%. Since the vet is anti-raw, you need to simply not take their opinion on nutrition. They probably sell Science Diet and recommend it over all other foods, so get real, their suggestions on nutrition just don't count for anything. Don't listen to someone's opinion when they know nothing of the subject. Vets that truly believe raw diets are dangerous have not learned anything about raw diets.

Since you feed raw, you should be asking these questions of others that feed raw. What do they do when they have a litter. How do they manage feeding with the puppies? Is salmonella really an issue? I personally don't believe so and believe the dog's gut system is built to handle a lot of stuff that we would not be able to handle ourselves. Check out the raw-chat yahoo lists, there are several.

There are some things you just don't need to talk to your vet about. Raw diets are one of them. Honestly, when the vet asks what I feed, I simply say I feed my dogs a quality diet in twice daily feedings. I don't feed my dogs ****** food and that is what they need to know. The exact brand of kibble is just not something that matters, just as the fact that I may add other things to that diet just does not matter. I know that what I am feeding my dogs is not dangerous, whether they are pregnant or not. I just prefer not to ruin a good vet relationship over arguements of nutrition. Most vets are not schooled well in nutrition. Really, if they were, they could not possibly stock and sell Science Diet with a straight face.

Vet staff is most often less educated. While there are exceptions and occasionally you can find a real gem working as a tech in a vet clinic, most really are not educated well in the field of dogs. They know their jobs, and they are often outstanding in their knowledge of wound care, surgery assistance, etc, but very, very few have any knowledge of nutrition other than what they pick up from listening to the vet and listening to the Science Diet rep that comes through the clinic on a monthly basis and often passes out free lunches. If you want to discuss raw diets with a vet, you need to be talking to a vet that is not scared of raw diets. If you want to discuss training, talk to a trainer. If you want to discuss grooming, talk to a groomer. If you want to discuss medicine, talk to a vet.

Now, I don't recommend feeding your girl anything while she is in the box with the puppies. Puppies can and will choke on kibble at very young ages, so simply keep it out of the box (been there, done that, killed a puppy and now know better.) Your girl doesn't need bones in the box either. When the pups are big enough, they can have their own bones, but I would have your girl seperated from them as you just don't need to risk injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                          Yes, I am going to get some raw meaty beef bones.Good idea
                          If you do marrow bones, FEED THEM OUTSIDE. They can be quite messy.

Comment

you dont have to quit feeding raw since your dog is pregnant. there are plenty of raw breeders out there! try barfworld.com that might lead you to some raw breeders that have a website and they can help you out with what to do with your bitch while feeding raw.
                            hth
                            Hound

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                              Yup. I got a lecture. This is 1 great vet,and not just her her staff too. Normally I just don't talk about the raw thing,what is that expression ? Don't ask. Don't tell. I would never want to have a major disagreement with them over there they have been my vet forever. ...,and good docs,just not on the same "raw" journey amny of us are.

So does she tell you not to prepare meat for yourself also? Because all meat you eat is raw at some point...

Comment

Working...
                              X