pit attack .......on ME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pit attack .......on ME

SO I bathed this goregous pitt puppy sat 8 months old.he was sooo cute and big!! today the owners bring him back and asked me to get his dew claw a bit shorter ,I only tipped them so I was like oh sure no problem I came into the lobby said hey baby did you miss me?? he jumped up and licked my face I said ok let me grab my clippers went and got them came back ...went back into the lobby said ok buddy were going to do our nails for a minute he jumps up again but this time his paws on my shoulders snarling and growlingI could feel his spit on my face Im only 5 ft tall.I have no earthly idea what happened his dad yanked him down and put him in a head lock between his knees I clipped his nails and said "I have no idea what that was about".
    He was awfull after that he never quit growling staring at me.his girlfriend said she always has them muzzle him and she doesnt trust him. well she didnt say that before when I bathed him sat.
    I dont want them to think I was mean to their dog sat,I thought he was a great dog I liked him
    what fo you think could have provoked him like that?

When I took dog protection classes, we learned that leaning over a dog is aggressive body language to the dog. Pair that with the fact Mom and Dad were there to be "protected", it's possible all it added up and the dog got a bit provoked.

It was always amazing in class to see a dog calm one second, and then the trainer do the aggressive poses and see the dog's body language and everything change. And it wasn't trained dogs....my dog was in the class with me.

It's come in very handy in my grooming career to have taken this class.

Comment

Also, the dog may have been picking up the nervous signals from the girlfriend and acting on that.

Comment

I think Siberian is right, it's also interesting how a dog acts different depending on WHO is present, they feed off of our energy, and Miss afraid of dog is sending insecure vibes. Siberian, have you ever watched a trained dog look at a 'green' helperand wonder what to do? It is amazing how they can tell the difference.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

sounds like he has "daddy issues"

Comment

I almost lost my two fingers

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
            SO I bathed this goregous pitt puppy sat 8 months old.he was sooo cute and big!! today the owners bring him back and asked me to get his dew claw a bit shorter ,....what fo you think could have provoked him like that?

Had a pit mix come in my kennel,it was a quite Sunday morning,when I let the dogs out ,in their runs.
            this pitt had gottin it's mouth threw the steel cages of the runs,and had a pointer mix pinned down by the nose, trying to get the pitt off her,my foot was biten several times and had to use a hedge clipper to open that pitts mouth,the poor pointer had to have her nose reconstructed and my hand was never the same, since then I don't allow any type of pitt bull or pit bull mix in my kennel.

Comment

not an attack

I am not trying to start a fight and maybe I am overly sensitive since my pit died a month ago. The sweetest thing you would ever meet. The fact that this was a pit bull has no bearing on the situation. It could have been any dog. I know a trainer who had that same thing done to her and it was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. The dog probably did not do that to you when you washed him because you already had him away from his owners. In this situation, you were trying to trim his nails with his family right there. He was more than likely protecting them and trying to assert himself. He is a young dog and needs to be taught where his place in life is now and not 2 months from now. You may want to suggest to the owners to get him to obedience now and to learn how to handle a situation like that properly.
              You were lucky but that was not an attack. He was warning you in his language.Had you lifted your head and stared straight at him, who knows and thank goodness you werent hurt. I almost had my hand taken off by a Husky yrs ago simply because I went to pet her on the top of her head. I learned that so very quickly to never do that again.But I dont condemn the breed because of that. Everyone is always so quick to accuse a pit bull. Im guessing the heading would not have said that if it was a golden.
              Still not trying to start a fight- just making a point

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                I think Siberian is right, it's also interesting how a dog acts different depending on WHO is present, they feed off of our energy, and Miss afraid of dog is sending insecure vibes. Siberian, have you ever watched a trained dog look at a 'green' helperand wonder what to do? It is amazing how they can tell the difference.
                This is soo true. At a previous salon there was one dog we actually had a note in his file that said unless the guy brings him in, don't even go near him. Because if the girlfriend brought him in, he wouldn't let anyone near her or him.

Comment

I owned a pit that a co-worker, not grooming at the time, was taking to the shelter. The poor thing was just a skin and bones at three month old. She wasn't agressive to people at all. My friends kids would use her as a pillow while watching t.v. and play with her lips and pull at her ears. Just a great dog. Then at around 2 years of age she started to attack our other dogs without warning or provocation. We loved this dog and did everything we could to figure it out, trainning, puppy prozac you name it. Our vet explained to us that it was a mental snap. Cause she would attack one of the dogs, come out of it and then go over to them pull them toward her gentally with her paw and try to clean where she bit them. It was just heartwrenching. He said that people that fight them inbreed them like crazy to make them just this way, totally unstable. I have been bit by them too. I think they are a beautiful breed, but don't trust them and really don't like them in my shop.

Comment

I have a couple dogs that I NEVER touch with the owner present. When the owner isnt therer they are great with me, but with the owner present, if I bent over to touch them they would bite in a minute.

Also you have heard the old saying "What we fear we create"? That girlfriend is going to create a biting dog with her nerves and mistrust

I would recommend always taking the dog from the owner when you work on it in the future.

Comment

I have a pit bull dog. A unfixed male and he is very protective about his family. He even tries to protect us against each other.

I think that's the main reason for the growling.

Comment

Having grown up around pits and all of them stable but we did trust our dogs. I would have to say it's the girlfriend and it's possible that the man is over correcting the situations and making the dog react worse each time. If the dog comes in again I would be very careful even if you get hime without the owner b/c once a pitty has a grudge on someone they don't lose it. I know this first hand. My sisters boyfriend crosses our old pit vegas stepped on is paw hard with his work boots vegas jumped up growled and pinned him on the wall since them it's taken six months for vegas to even so much as take a treat from the boyfriend.....

Comment

Originally posted by PawsBdd View Post
                          He said that people that fight them inbreed them like crazy to make them just this way, totally unstable. .
                          Your vet doesn't know what he's talking about, because fighting dogs are NOT unstable. You cannot handle an unstable dog, and fighting requires a great deal of handling. Dog fighters do not tolerate a man biter.

Yes, these dogs were bred to be dog aggressive. Many still are. There's also a lot of training involved. But they are not unstable, although their owners might be. If you own an aggressive dog of ANY breed, it's your responsiblilty to see to it that your dog cannot harm another dog, cat, or kid.

It really sounds like the dog you mentioned had rage syndrome. This is something akin to epilepsy. It may be faulty breeding, but it's also possible for a head injury or infection to trigger it, just a head injury can cause epilepsy.

Inbreeding really doesn't have anything to do with it, either. If it's genetic, it doesn't get passed on unless the parents also have the faulty gene, and they can be totally unrelated just as easily as being closely related. Inbreeding does not create faulty genes, it just unmasks them.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                            It really sounds like the dog you mentioned had rage syndrome. This is something akin to epilepsy.
                            Helly, do you have any statistics on dog breeds that tend to be affected by rage syndrome? Up until now, I had always thought it to be a "spaniel" thing...
                            Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                            George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

ya know....

i had this happen to me twice. scared the living s*it outta me!
                              one was a nail trim lab. dad was there with his son. dog was fine on the table...i clipped back nails first and went to dremel them when all of a sudden outta nowhere the dog just growled and lunged at my face! TG i was at the back feet and not the fronts! i jerked back and the man goes...whatd ya do to him? i just said that was quite unusual can you please hold his head. i finished the nails and the man was asking about grooming (Tg he never scheduled an appt!). scared teh **** outta me. the other was a bernese mix that came in. was perfectly fine for bathing drying i was handling his feet in the tub and the dryer he was perfectly fine. well he was a bit overweight and wouldnt stand so i couldnt do his nails. i asked for help from a coworker we manage to get his back nails done. i reach for a front foot to do them and i see him looking at me outta the corner of his eye. something told me to stop, and i asked my coworker for a muzzle Just in case. well...she went to put the muzzle on him...and he flipped out. he lunged at HER (she was standing in front of him with the muzzle held out to put it on) and thankfully she jumped back and i had pulled him back from her as well otherwise she would have seriously gotten hurt. we really should have stopped but the boss dosnt like us not finishing dogs (tg im outta there soon!), and got another coworker to muzzle him and she did his feet after he thrashed around on the table causing quite a ruckus. then the boss came back, kissing his face and everything (after we told her what happend!) and said oh hes fine! then the owner calls after he left thanking us for such great work and my boss tells the lady that the dog was a nice dog, had a little issue with his nails being done but she held him and kissed his face and everything and he was fine. the lady goes oh okay good he's a rescue and we are still working on some issues. nice for her to forewarn us right?
                              so now a days even with small dogs...if the dog is acting unsure of me if im trying to get it i always ask the owner to pick them up and hand them to me. smaller dogs especially dont like strangers hovering over them trying to snatch them from the ground. as far as the pit goes....kinda wierd but its possible that the g.f was sending bad vibes and he was associating them with you. just be cautious around all new dogs that you dont know very well.
                              Hound

Comment

Working...
                              X