Poodle Feet and Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle Feet and Face

Ok i'd like to start off first by saying the "search" feature on this forum isn't the best....unless i'm doing it wrong. I KNOW there are tons of posts on this but can't find any by searching "poodle feet" or "clean feet"...instead it will come up with search results that seem to just have "poodle" in it and not both words together.....anyways...
    I was wondering what blade everyone uses for clean face and feet? Does it matter what colour the poodle is. Also which blades are more likely to "nick" the dog. I have only done poodle feet once, and that was with a 10 blade...i did NOT like the look of it. I am inexperienced at it but i also think it should be even shorter, but i will admit i am afraid to go shorter in case it can nick? I also did my poodles face with a 10 blade....and then the next time with a 30.....i like the look of the 30 better! I am afraid to use a 30 between the toes and stuff though....can a 30 nick easier than a 10?
    For those of you that remember....i got my toy poodle "Lily"...she is my practice dog really....thank goodness she is well behaved...not perfect...but still well behaved. Also i have attached a picture of her most recent groom. She had "damaged" hair before but i shaved her with a 4F i think....mighta been a 3...i can't remember now....but her hair seems better now! Oh and that "chunk" out of her right front leg....well...she had a "burr" that i cut out...LOL Also i know the bottoms of her legs and her TK don't look the best...i'm still waiting on her hair to grow in from the hack job she got from her previous owners
    Attached Files

I think a clean shaven face and feet is the absolute best look on a poodle.
    On the face I would use a 40 blade on a poodle with good pigmentation. In my opinion 30 blades easily nicks the skin and the finish is better with a 40. I would use a 15 or 10 blade on a poodle that doesn't have good pigmentation.

I love my tiny Oster finisher with a 40 blade, and use that on tiny feet - so much easier then 5/8 blade (Wide-toe blade), and the finish is so much better.

Comment

Ok, this is probably a really stupid question....but how do you know if they have good pigmentation? Also....is it ok to use a 30 or 40 blade on a puppy...does it matter the age of the dog?
      So its easier to nick a dog with a 30 than a 40 right?

Comment

Pigmentation-the pigment or color of the skin. Nice and dark will not burn as much as light, pink skin. Also, the thickness of hair will determine for me what blade to use on the face. Usually, I will only use a 10 to be safe. Do have a few where I use a 30, but only on the muzzle. Years ago, when I worked for a handler, all the poodles got a 40 on the face. For feet, I use a 40 on the bottoms, and a 30 for the top. The hair (clean hair) just flys off-no digging necessary.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

If you got away with a 30 on her face without any clipper burn, then you should be fine with it on her feet. There's always a change of nicking them no matter what blade in my opinion.

Comment

Poodle face and feet

I learned by using a #10 blade in reverse for poodle faces, and a #40 on poodle feet. I've never tried anything else. I'm anxious to see what others do.

Comment

Thanks! I think i will attempt a 30 or 40 on her feet the next time! I LOVE LOVE clean face and feet. I find her hair is already growing very fast in those areas....how often should i shave them?

Comment

for show they use a #40 for face and feet I use the #40 on the feet only face is #15 to #10 for very sensitive faces I will use an 8 1/2 reverse, it is still smooth but some dogs find it less irritating.It comes out more cocker face smooth.

Comment

For my white/cream standards, I use a 30 on their feet and 15 on their faces. But my little black toy poodle I use a 30 on the face/feet. I've also used a 10 on the faces, but then I tried a 15 and liked it better. Of course Im not a groomer so I only have a limited number of blades - 10, 15, 30, 4F lol

Comment

Your puppys looks like my Bubbie. I also use my wahl arco on the shortest setting for face and feet. I think that is a 30. I do the same with my standard poodle who is a cream. I have used a 10 on both of there faces and its okay but I I like the 30 better.

Comment

the arco's shortest setting is a 40.

Comment

I was taught to use a 15 in reverse on face and 40 on feet but Im afraid of th e 40 so i ve been doing a 10 on the feet.it doesnt work as well or as quick and smooth to me but Im still learning what works best for me so for now thats what im going to do.

Comment

I always use the same blade on face/feet/tail/pattern if applicable. The only exception is I use a #40 on all footpads.

On lighter colored poodles I use #15 or #10 if they are really sensitive. Darker coloreds get a #30 or #40 depending on how well they handle it. Since I've started using my Wahl Chromado (and previously, Arco) I haven't nicked anyone. IMO it's much safer than traditional blades. I could be wrong but that's how it works for me. Of course, any blade can nick anyone depending on how it's used, so please don't read that as "it won't nick anyone ever".
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

lol no no i would never assume that a particular blade can never nick....i know they can all! I was just curious which ones nick easier thats all. Thanks everyone for the responses! I think i may have to invest in a 15 blade. I have a 10, 30 and 40 but i think i'd like to try a 15 as well.

Comment

I prefer 40 unless it is a light-colored dog with sensitive skin issues, where I will use a 15.

Comment

Working...
                              X