Rinsing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rinsing question

I have heard that some groomers put conditioner directly on a soapy dog w/o rinsing the soap out first. Mostly it is a time issue, not having to rinse twice is a time saver, so it is said. I just have a hard time w/ it. It seems to me that the conditioner, which is suppose to coat the hair and trap moisture would trap shampoo on the skin and coat as well. Wouldn't that make the dog itch? Would the conditioner even work as the shampoo might cause it to rinse right off? It seems obviously feasible as a time saving measure and if I wasn't worried about any effects to the dog I might try it. So, I bring it here, do any of you do this? Does it seem to work for you? Have you had complaints about itchiness? Does the conditioner work as well when applied directly over shampoo? Also, for those of you who don't do it, have you had negative experiences you can share?
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

I have one dog, a Keeshond, that I condition before I shampoo. I wet him down really good, then condition, then shampoo. It cut drying time in 1/2. I got the idea from my own hair. My hair is really thick and takes forever to dry, so I always condition, then shampoo. Figured if it worked for me, would work for my fuzzy friend. I always use the same brand of shampoo & conditioner so I feel safe that I am not cross mixing ingredients that could do harm. On everybody else, I use a spray on conditioner and detangler after I towel them dry.

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
      I have one dog, a Keeshond, that I condition before I shampoo. I wet him down really good, then condition, then shampoo. It cut drying time in 1/2. I got the idea from my own hair. My hair is really thick and takes forever to dry, so I always condition, then shampoo. Figured if it worked for me, would work for my fuzzy friend. I always use the same brand of shampoo & conditioner so I feel safe that I am not cross mixing ingredients that could do harm. On everybody else, I use a spray on conditioner and detangler after I towel them dry.
      I'm going to have to try that on my own hair. My hair is thick, but it also gets very oily very fast. I'll shower in the morning and then by that evening it looks like I haven't showered in 3 days. I've tried everything, shampooing twice, only conditioning the ends, a very light conditioner and nothing has worked. I'm going to try using the conditioner first and see how that works. I never thought of doing that. It's so ingrained in our heads condition after shampooing.
      Thanks RudyRoo

Comment

I always use a supersudser (bathing type system) when bathing. After I stop bathing the body and legs, I hand wash the face, with tearless shampoo, then rinse only the face. I then squirt some conditioner in a small pitcher, fill it up with warm water, then pour it over the body, then I repeat washing the face again. After that, I rinse the entire dog with fresh water. I have found no reason to rinse the dog after the shampoo before pouring the conditioner over the dog’s body. The conditioner will actually wash most of the shampoo off, leaving the conditioner on the hair to "do it's magic".

Happy conditioning a soapy dog

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I do it all the time, I find it does not weight the coat down as much as it does after shampooing.
          I have never had a client complain of a dog being itchy after his grooming the key is rinsing all products off of the dog before drying them.I also do it this way for my own dogs they have no issues.Mind you I only use natural products and would not mix the conditioner on the dog with shampoo if using any type of medicated shampoo natural or not.

Comment

Parti had a post on this, shampoo opens the hair shaft to clean, if you do'nt rinse first the soap and dirt are trapped because the conditioner clses the hair shaft. I totaly agree, dogs fell cleaner when rinsed then conditioned.
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Yeah, I never understood how that worked...both products accomplish totally different and opposite outcomes. It seems that using them both at once would cancel one or the other out. I'm interested in hearing the theories/science behind it.
              There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I usually do a quick shampoo rinse, then kinda' "squegee" alot of suds out of the dog, spritz with a bit more water, then conditioner & full rinse. (just as a time saver)....In a perfect world I rinse shampoo & condition. If I'm REALLY hit for time, I just throw some conditioner on 'em.

Truth is.....I don't see ANY difference with any of the methods.
                No complaints, either.

Comment

Working...
                X