Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need food recommendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need food recommendation

    The vet suggested I change Spook to a blander food, such as Science Diet I/D. I would prefer not to feed Science Diet and was hoping someone might know of something else I could feed that would also be bland but be better for him? I have to admit, cat nutrition is not my strongest point. It seems there is lots of info about dog nutrition but not so much on cat.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

  • #2
    Cherrybrook has healthy cat food

    Without knowing the specifics of your cat's health issue that would require different food, I cannot make a recommendation. However, we have many healthy cat foods available on www.cherrybrook.com. If you need assistance in selecting one, you can contact our customer service or one of our New Jersey stores.

    Comment


    • #3
      I need something that is highly digestable, so if he does throw up there isn't as much sitting in his stomach, but also bland so hopefully he won't try to scarf it down. The vet thinks his vomitting is from eating too quickly. He needs to gain weight. He was a 13 pound cat and is now down to 8.2 pounds. He feels like a walking skeleton poor thing. He is hyperthyroid and on tapazole.
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd go with

        Wellness Core.

        Comment


        • #5
          Feed him RAW!

          Raw digest's very quickly and there's nothing left to "sit around in his stomach".

          I would stay away from kibble if he needs to gain and digest quickly. Kibble takes a LOOONG time to digest and for a cat very short GIT, it (kibble) can actually cause the upset by not moving fast enough.

          Feeding him raw meat is the most natural way to feed a cat and you'll probably be surprised how he'll perk up after a while (condition wise). Feed raw ground meat, organ meat (liver, tripe, etc), and I'd supplement with a good cat vitamin (one with Taurine) at first til he adjust's, then you can start adding things like blueberries, cranberries, etc into him ground meat. Now, I know your going to say, "how am I going to get him to eat fruits and veggies?" It's really very simple, puree them and mix them with the meat

          Honestly, I'd stay away from commercial kibble with the problems you've mentioned.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know if this food will help with your cats problem but I started using it when my 17 year old cat had some problems. It is a grain free canned food, Wellness. It is all I feed my cat now, no more dry food.

            Comment


            • #7
              good website

              Mylady,

              Here's a good cat food nutrition site. Read there and see if it helps.

              www dot catinfo dot org

              Remove the spaces. Good luck with your kitty. I know there are MUCH better foods out there - you don't want to feed Science Death, I mean Diet. <wink>

              Comment


              • #8
                I actualyl had tried to feed my cats a raw diet. I got a "recipe" for raw from a vet who believes in raw feeding. It gave all the necessary supplements, oils, etc. Neither of my cats would touch it. He usually doesn't even like canned food, but because of his thyroid issue he has a ravenous appetite and would probably eat canned at this point. He eats the dog food, his food, he begs at the table. I gave him some cooked chicken last night, a very small amount, to see if he could keep it down. At this point with his appetite he very well may eat the raw, but the only thing he doesn't want to touch is his dry food. I don't have that "recipe" for feeding raw to cats anymore though. I don't remember everything I needed to add to it to make it balanced for him.
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by neanea View Post
                  Feed him RAW!

                  Raw digest's very quickly and there's nothing left to "sit around in his stomach".

                  I would stay away from kibble if he needs to gain and digest quickly. Kibble takes a LOOONG time to digest and for a cat very short GIT, it (kibble) can actually cause the upset by not moving fast enough.

                  Feeding him raw meat is the most natural way to feed a cat and you'll probably be surprised how he'll perk up after a while (condition wise). Feed raw ground meat, organ meat (liver, tripe, etc), and I'd supplement with a good cat vitamin (one with Taurine) at first til he adjust's, then you can start adding things like blueberries, cranberries, etc into him ground meat. Now, I know your going to say, "how am I going to get him to eat fruits and veggies?" It's really very simple, puree them and mix them with the meat

                  Honestly, I'd stay away from commercial kibble with the problems you've mentioned.
                  I do agree with you about feeding raw - I feed my dogs raw. However why would you suggest feeding veggies? You say to puree them, that is because you know they can't digest it on their own - they weren't designed to eat veggies. I know it's controversial about whether or not dogs should be fed veggies, but the consensus is (even a holistic vet I know that says dogs need veggies agrees that cats do not) that cats are obligate carnivores - they do not need veggies.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by flyinfur View Post
                    I do agree with you about feeding raw - I feed my dogs raw. However why would you suggest feeding veggies? You say to puree them, that is because you know they can't digest it on their own - they weren't designed to eat veggies. I know it's controversial about whether or not dogs should be fed veggies, but the consensus is (even a holistic vet I know that says dogs need veggies agrees that cats do not) that cats are obligate carnivores - they do not need veggies.
                    I was recommending the blueberries, cranberries and such for urinary tract health and the extra vitamins and minerals. It's much better to add natural foods (with their nutrients) than adding supplements if possible and with a cat with health issues, I was just covering bases.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It might be worth your while to look into Royal Canin, their cat line is super extensive. And more so bland than say grain free or some high protein formulas. Although they do include corn and gluten. I don't always prefer Royal Canin over other foods but I really like their cat line. They put so much research into their specific forumlas and I have had a lot of cats have really good results with it. I know in Canada for example they have an Oral Sensitive and also a Digestive Comfort that might be worth looking into. Not sure if their formulas vary by country. Their reps know quite a bit about their foods obviously, but are usually willing to give you a hand, my rep is awesome anyway. Check with a local pet supply store to see if they can get you in contact with one.

                      http://www.royalcanin.ca/diets/pdf/f...ecomfort38.pdf

                      38% protien... easy to digest and limits regurgitation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by elizabeth View Post
                        It might be worth your while to look into Royal Canin, their cat line is super extensive. And more so bland than say grain free or some high protein formulas. Although they do include corn and gluten. I don't always prefer Royal Canin over other foods but I really like their cat line. They put so much research into their specific forumlas and I have had a lot of cats have really good results with it. I know in Canada for example they have an Oral Sensitive and also a Digestive Comfort that might be worth looking into. Not sure if their formulas vary by country. Their reps know quite a bit about their foods obviously, but are usually willing to give you a hand, my rep is awesome anyway. Check with a local pet supply store to see if they can get you in contact with one.

                        http://www.royalcanin.ca/diets/pdf/f...ecomfort38.pdf

                        38% protien... easy to digest and limits regurgitation.
                        Yikes. No way in hell would I feed this. Theres barely any meat in it!

                        The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product, in meal form. It is the sole meat ingredient in the food.


                        The main grains in the food are rice and corn. Brewers rice is a low quality grain and byproducts, whilst corn is a low quality grain in dog food products, that is difficult to digest and commonly associated with food allergy problems. Soy protein isolate boosts the protein content of the food, but this is very low quality protein compared with that sourced from meat. Soy is another ingredient very commonly associated with food allergy problems and we prefer not to see it used in dog food.


                        Chicken fat is the fourth ingredient. Research at Purdue university has identified fat in the top four ingredients of dry food as a factor increasing the risk of bloat in large breed dogs. Smaller breeds are untested.


                        Beet pulp is controversial filler which appears to be used in large quantities in this food. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. Beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required. The husks of pysllium seeds are further filler.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When it comes to cats, because of their small intestines, feeding dry food at this point is not very good for him. Also, Wellness is a great food but not very bland unless you are getting a whitefish type of flavor. Chicken, salmon, etc can be very rich and tummy irritating depending on the particular animal. I'd recommend a canned food, like B.G. or Evo in a bland fish flavor.

                          (This of course, is based on the assumption that you are feeding a brand and not feeding raw.)
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by flyinfur View Post
                            Yikes. No way in hell would I feed this. Theres barely any meat in it!

                            The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product, in meal form. It is the sole meat ingredient in the food.

                            I understand what you're saying but sometimes the best food out there does not always work for every pet. I had a feeling I may get a response like this. I was just giving suggestions of something for mylady to look into. Meat meal is meat that the water has been extracted, concentrated meat in other words.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X