Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching about grooming tomorrow!! Need some insight!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching about grooming tomorrow!! Need some insight!!!!

I got invited back to my old high school by my old agriculture teacher and FFA adviser to teach a class on grooming dogs tomorrow. I'm bringing the basic tools with me. Clippers, nail clippers, different snap-ons for the clippers, brushes, ear cleaner, tweezers (to pull ear hair), shampoo, scissors, crate and of course two of my three dogs. I'm bringing my Dachshund Moe to show how to prep a bath dog and how to handle a dog with allergies and skin problems. And I'm also bringing my Westie Wrigley to show how to groom with, I'm basically just going to do a touch up groom with him since his groom I did on him a few days ago came out choppy. Now I'm not a certified groomer, but I've been a hobby groomer and grooming my own dogs for about 4 years now. I've done a couple of shave downs on my westie and a few westie cuts on him as well. I have worked as a bather though in a couple of groom shops and from watching and listening to the groomers I've worked with I picked up a few tricks and learned the basics. I'm not the best groomer but I think I do an okay job. I work at a petsomething and a few privatley owned shops. I do sani. cuts and what not for my all my friends' dogs as well as bathe them and nials, and ears. etc. free of charge.

But back to my question, is there anything I should talk about while I'm there? Like the different tools to use and what they're purpose is for? Or the differences between show cuts and pet cuts? I also want to touch on how it's important that your longer haired dogs and the ones that require grooming visit the groomer every 6-8 weeks and the whole speech of working with their dogs at home and BRUSHING!!! how brushing is VERY important to prevent matting. As well as touch a bit on dealing with aggressive dogs.....

Any other suggestions I should touch on? Or do I pretty much have it covered?

These are high school students, they probably don't have a clue about dog grooming and what is involved. I'd focus on that more than "how to". Also, grooming as a career-what it takes to become a groomer, certification, trade shows, creative grooming, etc.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

back when I

Originally posted by Muttkip View Post
      I got invited back to my old high school by my old agriculture teacher and FFA adviser to teach a .....

Any other suggestions I should touch on? Or do I pretty much have it covered?

owed one of my boarding kennels(1999), I spent an afternoon at a middle school of my daughter. school career day ,now at that time I may have been grooming for about 15 years then. So I thought I was ready for anything, wrote a plan of what I was gonna say,brought a golden with me, you may not want to get to high tech with the kids ,mine did not care about certain tools or blades. Also how long is your time with them, I got 20 minutes,really not enough time to groom and dry a golden.
      Oh, and remember there will be questions??????????????
      one of the first kid that I called on asked me
      "what do you do if a dog pees on you?"
      some kids yelled out, you clean it up.
      I guess there where some future pet groomers in the crowd that afternoon.
      good luck and have fun with it
      Last edited by desertdogs64; 03-02-10, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X