Freaking out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaking out

I'm trying not to panic, but Spook, my cat just threw up and there was quite a bit of blood in it. Not only that but I saw clots of blood. He's behaving normally, but with knowing that we have to put Tawney to sleep on Saturday I am afraid of finding out he's very sick. Of course I have no choice, I have to take him to the vet and find out, but I can feel the anxiety building. I don't need to lose two of them. I know, deep breath, don't worry about anything until I know there is something to worry about, but, seeing your beloved pet hack up blood is reallyhard not to get panicked about. Good thing I have good credit with my vet is all I can say...
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I hope all is OK! That is hard. ((hugs)) and just keep breathing till you know for sure. My thoughts are with you.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

Aww poor kitty. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy!

Comment

Any chance what he threw up was the remains of a mouse or rat?

Comment

I did wonder the same thing. Though my cats are purely indoor, we do have mice that try to come in periodically and he is our resident mouser. I didn't see any mouse parts in it though. What concerns me is I did see ribbon in what he brought up. The kids had balloons and he had chewed on their ribbon strings. He's acting fine, begging for food even when his bowl is full. He pretty much knows whatever I am eating must be better than what he is. He's worse than a dog in that department. The vet can't see him until later, so until then I'll keep an eye on him. Thankfully he doesn't act sick, but if I see any signs of distress I'm not waiting, he'll go straight in.

Comment

Oh, that just makes me so sad. I know you are anxious about it, I would be too. Maybe Helly is right! That sounds like a possibility. Just know we are all thinking about you and wishing your situation well. All fingers and toes crossed.

Comment

Eek, that dang ribbon can be nasty! I thought my male Sphynx had an obstruction from it-started vomiting a lot, really lethargic...I fed him a lot of laxatone and watched him because he was still semi interested in food. I got lucky, after about 2 days, he finally pooped out a whole bunch of ribbon. I too was super scared! Hope he feels better soon!

Comment

update us!

Well, how did the vet visit go?
                All the talk of ribbon brings back memories. I first found out my cat was a ribbon eater when I saw a poop dragging behind him attached to him by a ribbon (it fell off in short order so i didn't panic.) went to the box and there was a very colorful display. I was blissfully ignorant of all of the possible and dire consequences of ingesting ribbon/string etc, so I just gave him laxatone and laughed.
                He has continued to surprise us with all of the non-food items he will eat. What a dog!

Comment

I'm waiting for test results. Will update as soon as I know more.

Comment

Sorry for such a short post before. I should give more detail.
                    During the physical exam the vet felt something in his abdomen that she thought was a form of Cancer. She told me the name but I don't remember. It's a type that spreads itself out over the intestine walls instead of forming tumors from what I understood, so she wanted to do X-rays. She had blood drawn and did a senior cat panel, took urine for a urinalysis, gave him sub-Q fluids along with some pepcid to settle his stomach. I won't know the results of the blood work for about a week. Same with the urinalysis I think, they send it out. I was trying to absorb so much and keep my 3 year old in check, I'm not sure if that's right for the urine. The Xrays showed no signs of Cancer or any blockages. He seems to be feeling better since the fluids, but he still has this ravenous appetite. I think he is eating too fast. She suggested switching him to a bland diet, and of course recommended SD I/D. I didn't know if someone could recommend an alternative to SD. So far, it seems this is all related to his Thyroid still not being controlled. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that is the only problem and maybe an adjustment in diet and medication can help him. My husband still doesn't know how much I spent, he's going to kill me when he finds out. Not that he doesn't care, but when things are as tight as they are for us right now and he's already panicked about money... and then it's going to cost about $200 to put Tawney to sleep and have her cremated in a group cremation. The process itself is painful enough, and then trying to afford it all. It's just frustrating. I've got a packed day on Sunday so I will make about enough in that day to cover both vet visits, we should be ok. Actually, we're always ok, we always find a way, but I'm not looking forward to telling him the cost of the visit. Sorry, just venting.

Comment

I cannot believe your vet is charging you that much for a group cremation. My vet has told me that Chilli's final visit will be free and his cremation will be under $100 for a private cremation. Granted he weighs less than a pound, but still.

Comment

can you cook up the same bland diet as you would give a dog? or something similar. my cat would love to be fed boiled chicken breast or cottage cheese, i don't know about the rice though. i would think there is something you can do that is better and cheaper than presc. did you ask your vet about other options?

so sorry, for all that you are going through right now.

Comment

I know its Science Diet but the I/D really does make a difference to sick cats. I have one at the moment that has liver disease and the I/D made a huge difference to her, she gained weight again and felt so much better. She is now on L/D and doing really well.

Comment

I gave him some cottage cheese today and he loved it. I wasn't sure if it worked the same way for cats as it does for dogs, but I thought it was worth a shot. I need to do more research on the whole thing.
                            He seems to be feeling much better since the fluids and pepcid and hasn't thrown up anything since. I'm hoping we can get this thyroid issue controlled and get my beautiful boy back. He looks so horrid now. His poor coat, his skinny frame. The vet advised not grooming him until he was better because it could up his BP. So I'm waiting on that.

Comment

The vet called. His thyroid level is still too high so she doubled up his meds. I'm hoping this works.

Comment

Working...
                              X