Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had first hand experience with the Chemo drug Paladia for dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had first hand experience with the Chemo drug Paladia for dogs?

You may remember a few weeks ago I posted that I had found a suspicious lump on my Westie and was going to the vet to have it checked out. Well, it is breast cancer. We had the original tumor(s) removed (they found 2 more tumors when they went in to remove the one we could feel) and sent off and they came back as malignant breast cancer. Today we met with an oncologist and found another mass that has already grown in the same area that the original tumors were found, but it is in a lymph node. Since her blood work is good and an X-ray shows she has no nodules in her lungs, we have started her on a 3X a week dose of Paladia. It is a new chemo treatment that has shown promise in arresting breast cancer. She took her first dose of Paladia tonight at around 6:00 and is feeling fine, eating, drinking, barking.... so I hope that she tolerates the chemo well, because I have already decided that if the chemo makes her sick and decreases her quality of life, I will not continue with it as she is currently feeling fine and shows no signs of the cancer bothering her. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of Paladia or knew someone who had been treated with it and how they did. I am hoping that because she did not have a bad reaction to her first dose 6 hours ago, that means that she will continue to do well through out her treatment, but I am also concerned that she may get sicker as the chemo drug builds up in her body. Never been thru chemo personally with a dog or a human and dont really know what to expect. Just hoping and praying for a miracle for my little girl...

I know nothing about that chemo drug, just chiming in to let you know that I will be thinking of you and wishing you both the best of luck, please keep us updated.
    ***Darlynn***
    ***DON"T HATE ME BECAUSE IM POODLEFUL!!***

Comment

Thanks Poodle Mom, its been a tough month and we still have a very long road ahead of us. Here's the real kicker - Less than 1% of female dogs spayed before their first heat will get breast cancer. Ally was spayed just before 6 mos old and had never been thru a heat cycle.....How's that for rotten luck? So we are due for some good fortune with her responding well to the chemo and it working to arrest the cancer development. Y'all keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Comment

I lost by beloved "Gillian" two years ago to breast cancer - adenocarcinoma. We tried chemo as a last resort. The two drugs we tried were Doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Rubex) and then Cisplatin (which nearly killed her). She died 13 months from her date of diagnosis...I still cry and miss her so much.

Personally, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't do the chemo, but I had to try to save her. She was treated at the University of MN.
        Maybe the new drug they have your dog on will help, I certainly hope so. Research is constant and new drugs are being developed all the time, let's hope this one will work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
          I lost by beloved "Gillian" two years ago to breast cancer - adenocarcinoma. We tried chemo as a last resort. The two drugs we tried were Doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Rubex) and then Cisplatin (which nearly killed her). She died 13 months from her date of diagnosis...I still cry and miss her so much.

Personally, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't do the chemo, but I had to try to save her. She was treated at the University of MN.
          Maybe the new drug they have your dog on will help, I certainly hope so. Research is constant and new drugs are being developed all the time, let's hope this one will work!!
          How long did it take for your Gillian to show any signs of the chemo? I am wondering since Ally seems to feel good last night and today after taking the first dose last night if that means that she is tolerating the chemo well, or if it takes a while for the chemo to build up in her system and she just has not gotten sick from it yet. This new treatment is supposed to not have all the bad side effects of the old chemo drugs and tests showed that 75% of the test case dogs did not have the nausea and fatigue that is commonly associated with chemo. We are really hopeful that Ally will respond well to the drug. I'm so not ready to let her go, but at the same time, I wont let her suffer thru nasty chemo treatment side effects.

Comment

With the first drug Gillian spiked a fever within 7 days of the treatment. They told me that was fairly normal and showed the drug might be working. I had to get her on antibiotics immediately and she was fine within 48 hours. The next drug had an immediate reaction within 12 hours - she couldn't stop throwing up and had terrible bloody diarrhea. I really didn't think she would live through it. I contacted our local vet who put her on injectible anti-nausea meds and I administered sub-cu fluids to keep her hydrated. Amazingly she survived the treatment and at that point I just decided to keep her comfortable. 4 months later she crossed the bridge. There is still a terrible hole in our lives without her. She was only 9.5 years old. We do have 4 of her pups (all AKC champs, now 6 years old) and her grand-pups (2 AKC champs). My avatar is her grand-pup Neve, who is 2 years old. Neve was never shown and spayed because of incorrect dentition and hopefully will take to field trials. Too bad her bite is off, structure wise she's beautiful.

Comment

That is what worries me. I am supposed to leave Thursday afternoon to go to APF (which is about 7-8 hours away from where I live)
              I have an excellent pet sitter (who is also one of my good friends) who will come and care for my fur kids 2X per day. Right now, Ally is feeling fine, but she will have 2 more doses of the Palladia before I leave and a dose while I am away. I worry that she may have a reaction while I am gone. My regular vet has already been advised that I will be out of town and that the pet sitter will call her if there is a problem, but I still hate to leave her right now.

Comment

Working...
              X