I cut an ear today :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cut an ear today :(

on a cat. I cut the very edge of the tip clean off with scissors! I zigged and he zagged. Luckily the kitty didn't even react and it only bled a little. I am so upset about it. Hopefully the hair will grow back and cover any scar..The owner wasn't upset, she just joked about how she is going to tell him to bite me next time LOL I suppose I deserve it! :P Still though I hate it when I hurt the babies!

Off with your HEAD! LOL!
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I hate that happened to you, and the cat. I know how hard it is to forgive yourself when you hurt the "babies", and how long it takes to get over it, if ever. It always helps to soothe the pain when the owners don't hate you for it.

Comment

I know how you feel. My first day at a grooming shop I sliced a dogs ear in the fold. It was so stressful and I felt terrible. Good thing the owner was understanding. Just be thankful it wasn’t worse.

Comment

C'mon, Gfriend. It ain't like you just woke up & thought, You KNOW what I think Im'a do TODAY?...
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Been there, done that, only mine was a yorkie a few years ago. Nicked a tiny piece right off the side of her ear. I felt awful and offered the groom for free (a very good client). She insisted on paying full price and even gave me my regular tip. I still feel bad every 6 wks when Zoe comes in and I see the tiny chunk of ear missing. It can and does happen to the best of us.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I always think it's so much better them than me....JK. Sorry that happened to ya. Glad the client was a good one. I still have nightmares about clipping nails too close.

Comment

I left my permanent mark once too.

It was a Westie pup. The owners were forgiving and I was reminded every time I groomed the dog until they moved out of the area. I cut the side of the tip off too. Just a little piece, but you could see it.

You can always think of it as, your artistic mark forever on the cat.

Comment

The first time I cut a dog I felt AWFUL , I didnt even realize I had done it, it was an armpit and it didnt bleed and the dog never made a sound. It was a seriously matted Bichon who was being dog sat by the owners daughter for an extended period and had not been brushed once in the 6 months the daughter had the dog. (she told me this herself and said her mom would be livid if she knew the dog had to be shaved so she was bringing her to me with enough time for it to grow back). Needed staples also. We paid the vet bill and did the groom for free. The owners daughter was very nice about it and said it was her fault , if she had brushed the dog it wouldnt have happend. Turns out the mom ended up coming regularly to me for grooming.

Comment

I cut an ear this week also. A tiny tiny yorkie. Actually pinched her ear with my thinners. It happened so fast I didn't even realize it happened until it started bleeding...a lot! It appeared to be a little slice on the outside of the ear. I didn't remove a chunk but boy did it bleed. I put pressure on it and called the owner. I could not get it to stop bleeding. I didn't charge him for the groom and instructed him to take her to the vet and I would cover the bill. I haven't heard from him so I don't know if he went to the vet or not. He didn't seem too concerned and was very nice about it. He was actually really apologetic because she was way overdue and really matted. I still feel awful about it.

Comment

Ugh! Accidentally hurting a dog is the worst feeling ever. One time it was the very teeny tiny tip on the edge or a jumpy schanauzers ear. He jumped anytime i touched him. The worst part is it was a vanity snip. I didn't stop when the groom was "good enough". I just HAD to get that last little hair and he jumped. I felt HORRIBLE. The owner was fine with it. The other time it was the side on a Shih with a 7F. I was going over the dog "one last time" to get all the little hairs I may have missed and caught the skin. It was just a surface scratch but these owners were very upset. They made a HUGE stink about it and insisted the dog was gonna be scarred for life. So the vet put one stitch in and didn't charge.....and I, of course, didn't charge for the groom.
                      Both clients still come to me for grooming.
                      Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                      Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post

You can always think of it as, your artistic mark forever on the cat.

HAHA! Like my own special brand!

Comment

man what a week for cutting! lol...i accidently cut my own kitty on sat.! TG it was only his armpit though! but they way he had his leg posistioned (front leg) it looked like it was the elbow area. hubby got all freaked out and grossed out (you could see the muscle) and we immediatly called my friend who does kitties...she told us what to do for it and its all healed up fine now. TG! i felt sooooooo horrible! i thought it would just keep on tearing! whew!
                          now im kinda skeered to shave him again...and even more leery to shave my other one who has lotsa saggy skin to catch!
                          i was feeling pretty confident in myself until saturday!
                          Hound

Comment

Originally posted by doggydivas View Post

The worst part is it was a vanity snip. I didn't stop when the groom was "good enough". I just HAD to get that last little hair ...
                            Welcome to my world - that is exactly when it happens to me. The dog is done, I see very slight spot that needs one last snip - WHAM! - and I'm holding a loud conversation with God about how I can never leave well enough alone.

Comment

I just nicked a Yorkie

I just nicked a Yorkies ear. Just a tiny nick and the thing bled like crazy. I'm worried at what the owner is going to say. They just adopted the dog and the previous owner had let it get matted. She said the previous owner had shaved the legs because they were matted really badly. Never the less - I feel horrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X