close call with face and a knocked tooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• close call with face and a knocked tooth

I am really tired of big misbehaved dogs and owners that dont care. I have cut back drastically with the biggies I do but I have a couple that I have done since puppies that I would feel bad to fire. Until now......

Last week, SWT, just about took my face off cause I picked up his foot. Thank god for the groomers helper. (Thank you Chuck!) This dog keeps getting worse and the owners wont take charge and do something with him. He rules the roost at home. Fired him ,oh happy day!

Today, extremly overweight goldendoodle, very matted and stinky (they wanted him left long, yeah right) He cant stand up so I did him on the floor, He bit my bather, no blood thank god, and he fought on his nails and he came up on my chin with his big head and knocked a crown loose. I fired him on the spot. Owners didnt understand why. I tried to explain I cannot do him safely for him or I but they got mad and left. I charged alot for him, but not enought to cover my trip to the dentist. I did finish him, but my back and tooth hurts like hell.

Why do owners get these big dogs, let them get fat, and teach them no manners and expect us to make them look like show dogs?

I need a stiff drink...........

You need to go to the dentist today & it may be too late. If he knocked your tooth loose your dentist MIGHT be able to stabilize it so it doesnt fall out, but, don't count on it after this long. PLEASE, do NOT wait until tomorrow. This is a dental emergency.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I feel your pain. I had a SWT knock two of my front teeth out, years ago. Fortunately I had the forethought to push them back in and head for the dentist. It hurt like the dickens, but it saved my teeth.

And, like you, I am sick to death of huge dogs that have no manners and are out of control. There are so many times I've been tempted to tell them to go home, teach the dog to walk calmly on a leash, and only then can they bring them back.

Comment

That's the major reason I quit doing large breeds. The owners don't have a clue or don't care about the darlings having any training.

My rotator cuff was torn by a GSD years ago. Needed surgery for that injury.

Comment

I've come to a conclusion, kind of a big "duh" moment for me. Since I am a people pleaser and want to make my clients happy and was actually feeling guilty when I couldn't give them what they wanted when the dog was matted. My new mantra is "It is not MY fault you did not maintain you pets coat and therefore I refuse to feel like i have to kill myself to give you the look you want". This applies to the unruly obnoxious, undertrained pets as well! I'm more than willing to help an owner who is trying, making steps to make things better, but for those who don't care, I'm not going out of my way, risking my body or sanity for them.

Another groomer broke my tooth once. She walked in with the shop vac carrying the hose up while I was walking out and we just didn't see each other. 2 days before Thanksgiving too! It was actually a rebuilt tooth, so it was the fake stuff that broke off. She felt horrible and I still bust on her about it whenever we chat LOL.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I have no problem 'firing' people who won't train their pets! Large or small they all need manners, and we need or safety respected.
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I'm having a duh moment....SWT??

Comment

no big hairies or scaries for me.

Comment

Get them off the floor they know they can't fly (most of them anyway)

Originally posted by Angie View Post
                  Last week, SWT, just about took my face off cause I picked up his foot. Thank god for the groomers helper. (Thank you Chuck!) This dog keeps getting worse and the owners wont take charge and do something with him. He rules the roost at home. Fired him ,oh happy day!

Today, extremly overweight goldendoodle, very matted and stinky (they wanted him left long, yeah right) He cant stand up so I did him on the floor, .
                  Dear Angie,

Will your insurance cover the injury? I hope so. If not I would send them the dental bill. Who knows they just may pay it.

Thanks for the kudos. I too thank God for the Groomers Helper® everyday.

So sorry for your injury but glad it was not worse. Why do these people get these dogs they can't handle? They know it. They are also the ones who take it personally when you tell them that they need to get the dog and themselves some training before the dog hurts someone else.

Big dogs mean big money and you should charge a handling fee for the ones that take two people or extra time. They know their dog is a PITA and most likely have been thrown out of the rest of the shops in the county. I charge an extra $20-$40 on top of $80-$100 for the groom. That does not include extras like demat, shave down or shedless. They are so glad that we can handle their PITA that money is not the object.

It is very important to get these big dogs off the floor as when you are on the floor [b]you are on their turf[/b] and they will try and overpower you. A 42" Big Dog Table with a solid 1" arm and clamp. Stainless steel 30" extension arms for the no-sit of your Groomers Helper® and you can manage a small pony. If the dog doesn’t respect that it's to the curb.

Some people say I only use my Groomers Helper® for the bad dogs, but how do you know until they act out? Protect yourself first then release as you think you can with every dog. [b]Get their respect from the get go.[/b]

With groomers who use the Groomers Helper® most bites, head bumps and mishandlings happen in the tub, in or out of the kennel or on the floor.

Maybe we should wear a mouth guard and helmet when grooming. Can you imagine greeting the customers looking like a Pro Wrestler or Football Player?

Good Luck and Godspeed,

Chuck
                  Last edited by Chuck; 02-27-10, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Siberianlover- Soft coat wheaton terrier, I was in a hurry to type. LOL

My tooth feels much better today but still feels weird. My sis in law works for the dentist and she said he must have tore the tendons in my tooth. I have an appoinment in two weeks and she said its not an emergency and to wait till then. Its not loose, he just moved it backwards a little. She said if the pain gets worse to come in other wise just take aleeve. I trust her judgement, this place is the best dentist in a 200 mile range.

Comment

NO pet should be groomed without a pet release form that has been read, understood and signed. Included on the form is the owner accepting full financial responsibilty for their pet, like damage to property and injury to staff. No groom is worth risking losing your livelihood over. Some of you might have a spouse to fall back on in the event you can't work. And some of you may have health insurance through a spouse with a "normal" job. One day maybe we'll all have access to affordable health care.....well that's a whole 'nother subject. Anyway, cover your butt with the release form. I tweak mine regularly too, as some new "situation" walks through the door. Absolutely send them the dentist bill with a note that if you don't receive payment you will take it to small claims court. Your case will be strong if you have the release. As far as doing ill-mannered pets, part of my release says that if at any time during the groom the pet or groomer's safety is in danger the groom will stop, and payment for service rendered is required. Amazing how some folks come in saying how sweet little Cujo is, until they read the release. Then the little details of don't touch his feet or don't make any sudden movements come out.

Comment

Thanks Chuck, I use my groomers helper on every dog, but this one, I have a great heavy electric hydrolic table with your arm on it, but this goldendoodle was so obese he didnt fit on the table and he fought with all his weight to lift a foot so on the floor he goes. Dont worry, hes not coming back. all my regulars have gotten so used to be on the groomers helper, some of them I dont need it anymore casue they think its on. ) But I never trust new ones and the 3-4 times a year ones. I dont know what I did without it. Its so awesome and anyone reading this that does not have a groomers helper, you need to invest in one right away!

Comment

I have a male Great Dane I actually turn the GH around for. I face it away from the table and stand the dog on the floor to grind off his toenails.
                          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                          X