OMG HELP ~ Dog in heat before comp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG HELP ~ Dog in heat before comp!

My standard who I'm bring to APF just started her first 'known' heat. The breeder I got her from refused to return any phone calls after she sold her to me (long story) So we never knew if she was spayed or not (I got her at 6 months) My two vets said they possibly felt scars so the only way to know would be exploratory surgery or just wait it out. So I waited and now I'm freaking out because APF is next week and she is NOT spayed! what do I dO? Is this going to be a problem for other competitors? What about the judge? HELP

Hope my experience helps

Last summer my mini bitch was in dripping,messy heat,and I had already entered a conformation show. I kept lots of tissue on my table,and in my pocket. As a courtesy, I also let the judge know before they go over her ,so they don't get slimed. You can make a little tampon,and place it carefully in the vulva(not further up),if she is dripping on her freshly scissored coat. I just make a little wad of tissue,and stick it in there. I use hand sanitizer,before,and after, for obvious reasons. LOL I think that girls cotton breifs with a tail hole cut out,and a panty liner inserted, don't seem to squish the coat as much as the straps on the store bought "bitches britches". In the shows it can be a real pain in the [email protected]# ,but entry fees and travel plans are too expensive to change ,just because Mother Nature throws a curve ball. There was one other exhibitor who had flat coats ,and made a comment ringside,about my tabled girl upsetting her boys. I was polite ,but firm. about moving my table as there was no where else in the shade to move to, They just have to get used to it.
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

Doggie birth control???? I know this is gonna sound odd, but I had a cat years ago who had breathing problems. The vet didn't want to spay her, due to her breathing problems, so she got a shot every 3 months to keep her from going in to heat, maybe your vet can put her on the pill,,,,,??????

Comment

Just check the rules for whatever competition you are going to. The rules should clearly state if females in season are not allowed. If they are not allowed, then she simply cannot go. If females in season are allowed, then take her. People with male dogs that compete in competitions that allow females in season know of the possibility and simply deal with it. If the rules state it is allowed, you have nothing to worry about or to be concerned about or even to be embarrassed about. If females in season are not allowed, then unfortunately she misses out. It sounds like you are planning to spay her, so just wait for her to come out, give her a month or so for everything to get back to normal and then get her spayed.

Comment

Just make sure she goes by each of the boy's tables & "gets their attention" before the judging starts. JK!!!
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I am not sure off the top of my head if APF allows bitches in season into the ring- if my memory serves me, they do allow them- email Anne directly, though.
            I know at most shows, as long as you tell the show hosts and judges and fellow competitors in your classes at the Competitor's Meeting or Pet Care Meeting that is required for all people with dogs on site to attend. You want to keep hand towelettes and alco-gel at your table for clean up and for your judges to use to wipe their hands if they want to. You can also bring along a small pot of Vick's for nearby competitors to swipe a tiny bit on the top of their dog's nose in the ring if their dogs are acting up. You need to tell the judges again at prejudging when they step up to your table and again at your final go over that the dog is in season so that they don't forget. For the other competitors, you can try to move around your entrants numbers if you have a table designated or saved so that you are away from any intact males or any fellow competitors whose dogs might act up. It should be OK, it is all about being considerate and upfront, and be prepared also that your little girl might be acting like a little poopey pants on the table! Maybe think of a natural or herbal calmative spray or something of the like for her if she is really geeking out! Good luck!!!!!!!!!
            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Don't worry about it. Bring lots of wet wipes and tissues to make tampons.
              Let your judge know that the dog is in heat as well, and maybe ask ring steward to place you somewhere on outer side of the group so you are not surrounded by other dogs.
              Also if it was me in this situation out of courtesy to other competitors with male dogs, I would walk her away from main potty area.

Comment

A couple people are saying how made 'doggie tamps' are the best route. So if anyone has experience with this method and will be at APF andddd would like to give me a helping hand, let me know lol. I'm really freakin out ..I seriously have to tamp my dog in the ring ::shakes head:: Why me...

Yes, chow she will be spayed as soon as possibly trust me lol I am passing out just thinking about having to do this. No way I can deal with it again.

Comment

chlorophyll

If they do allow dogs in heat to be in the competition, you may as a consideration to you fellow competitors who have intact male dogs, use chlorophyll tablets. Used from a week before the competition and right through it, it will mask the scent of the heat cycle. We use it in the breed ring so the male dogs are not too aggressive about getting to the girl.
                  Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I always just drop the class. Too much mess. PLUS as a competitor with male dogs, it is a hard thing to deal with. I do not have a dog in that class, just telling you what I do. All great suggestions above. I had a cocker once that came in heat every single show, ON THE TABLE. Had her spayed quick!
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                      If they do allow dogs in heat to be in the competition, you may as a consideration to you fellow competitors who have intact male dogs, use chlorophyll tablets. Used from a week before the competition and right through it, it will mask the scent of the heat cycle. We use it in the breed ring so the male dogs are not too aggressive about getting to the girl.
                      Oothat sounds good. where do I get them? How well does it work?

I can't drop the class and no there is nothing in the rules that says she can't compete. No way I could have known this would happen, ya know :/ I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure she doesn't disturb other competitors. A couple people that have gone through competing with dogs in heat are going to help me out so everything should be ok. She may even stop bleeding by Saturday which would be great. Vix will be on hand as well as hand sanitizers wet, wipes dry wipes and tamps lol Thanks everyone

Comment

I have a concern about using tissue to make tampons for dogs.. Is this truly safe for the dog? tissue tends to fall apart when it gets wet and lets face it ladies we wouldn't try that for ourselves( excuse the boldness here guys).would it be possible the particles of tissue left behind could create issues for the dog later down the road?I myself would consult my vet for other options if any. I would be very concerned about potentially creating infections.

Comment

I never really had much luck with clorophyll tablets, but lemon grass works well. You want to steep it into a strong tea, cool, and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the area that needs to be masked as often as you like.

It also works well for other foul odors.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                            I have a concern about using tissue to make tampons for dogs.. Is this truly safe for the dog? tissue tends to fall apart when it gets wet and lets face it ladies we wouldn't try that for ourselves( excuse the boldness here guys).would it be possible the particles of tissue left behind could create issues for the dog later down the road?I myself would consult my vet for other options if any. I would be very concerned about potentially creating infections.
                            I was thinking if I ever got in this pickle again, to keep a bit of sterile packaged gauze to use for the little tampon, of course you use sanitizer before and after,and just gently place a small wad in the vulva,no further up, but with pyometra being so deadly, I agree with you that the tampon is best made of something that can't leave any little paper shreds in there.Some people put their bitch on preventative antibiotics if she will be doing anything stressful during her heat.
                            "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                            Quote:Cath

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                              LOL I think that girls cotton breifs with a tail hole cut out,and a panty liner inserted, don't seem to squish the coat as much as the straps on the store bought "bitches britches".
                              Little boys briefs work even better, turn them around and let her tail stick out of the fly area. That way you don't even have to waste time cutting the hole. Plus, she could get some really cool super hero ones!
                              I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                              -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
                              X