Ok confused on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok confused on this

Ok, how many of you charge extra to do poodle feet and faces??? I have never charged extra but one of my clients informed me that her sisters groomer charges an extra five bucks to do poodle feet and/or face. I can't say I totaly discount the idea, some of my poodles are a challenge and it takes ten to fifteen min to get through the task with some dogs. How would I implement this, just on new clients or also old clients? I don't know if it sounds reasonable or not huummmmm.......

We charge a bit more for a basic hair cut on a poodle (in relation to a shih-tzu or something) because of the time it takes to do clean feet/clean face (I guess faces are fast, actually!). It's not a firm rule though... we don't take money off the price if they don't want poodle feet.

I wish I could charge $20 extra for clean feet! I HATE HATE HATE doing poodle feet. All the dogs around here who get it seem to be extra bad about having their feet touched, and it makes it take FOREVER.

Comment

I don't charge extra for them if it is on a poodle its already included in pricing,However for non poodles to get poodle feet then yes, I can say its very fair to charge extra for this. if for no other reason than to discourage the client from making the dog look ridiculous

Comment

When I first started grooming I wanted to charge an extra $20, lol I was so slow but now that I have been grooming a few years and an Ivac I find it only takes me an extra 5 mins or so so don't charge extra.

Comment

not exactly

I have a price on poodle trims but when the owner tells me they don't want poodle feet I do usually give them a little bit of a break. It's just a few dollars but it's because it saves me a couple minutes. I let them know I charged them the lesser price but if they decide to get their poodle in a classic poodle trim later it will be the normal price.

Comment

well the shop im at charges 5 extra for CFCF.
            Hound

Comment

Sometime we charge a little extra, and sometimes we don't. It just depends on the situation and the haircut. If someone comes in wanting a dutch clip or a particular poodle haircut then the clean feet is included in the price. But we do charge more for say a dutch clip than we do for just a short all over cut.

Comment

Never occurred to me to charge extra. Honestly, I think clean face and clean feet are easier. When you are shaving the face you don't have to shape anything. When I started grooming clean feet were much easier to do than making nice rounded feet, so I actually wished that all dogs got clean feet.

I don't understand charging extra for dremeling either. One of the things I tell people when I am quoted prices is that the price includes everything. There aren't any hidden charges for nails or ears or anything like that.

I kind of think that clients get sick of being nickled and dimed.
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I hear ya Keyray. I don't charge schnauzers extra for scissoring eyebrows even though it takes me longer to shape them than a traditional teddy bear visor. They are poodles. That's part of their breed profile. Even if the customer doesn't want them it still shouldn't be extra, IMO.
                  There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I have a particular little mini client that is a HORROR for her feet! Her hu-mom has taken "0" responsibility for her behavior at home (as I've instructed her to do since day one) and it take me forever to try to clean her feet and face, as well as, having MANY MANY scratches on my hands/arms from her behaving badly while I'm working on it. I FINALLY told her last time, I was going to have to charge more for her clean FF if she continued this behavior OR I could just do the teddy feet (she hated both ideas). She won't bring her in more often either, however, when she first got this puppy, she agreed to bring her in often AND work with her at home, but that hasn't happened She called yesterday to RESCHEDULE her "baby's" appointment AGAIN!

So, to answer the original question, YES I WILL charge extra if a dog is a pill for CFCF, but it's not in my normal prices which incorporate it.

Comment

You should have a price for a poodle that takes in to account how long it takes you compared to other dogs. The price should include everything that is included in a poodle cut.

IMO to have a breed come in and then charge EXTRA for what is considered part of their breed cut will just make poodle owners mad. Especially old school poodle owners.

The exception would be if someone wanted a very fancy poodle cut. Those owners do understand that the fancy cuts are more labor intensive and are willing to pay more.

Comment

I'm with Keray and Brink, I think they are less work in the long run, no face or feet shaping. I charge more for degree of difficulty of style or behavior and time. A poodle strip is less then a puppy cut, same on all other breeds, strips are less, unless of course, they are severely matted or major pitas then I charge more.

Comment

My personal opinion on charging extra to do poodle feet/face is nickle and diming people to death. The feet and face are part of the groom. It should be figured into your base price, not tacked on as an extra, because it's not an extra.

I do charge a hard to handle fee if the dog is a real pill and takes longer. But that's not the same as adding a fee to do feet and face.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                            My personal opinion on charging extra to do poodle feet/face is nickle and diming people to death. The feet and face are part of the groom. It should be figured into your base price, not tacked on as an extra, because it's not an extra.

I do charge a hard to handle fee if the dog is a real pill and takes longer. But that's not the same as adding a fee to do feet and face.
                            My thoughts exactly!
                            Jacob

Comment

Not me

I also resent being nickled and dimed and hundred dollar billed. I charge a basic fee. Poodle's get their feet trimmed. This is a Poodle trim. Now I have a regular Standard that does not get his feet trimmed. I would never consider charging less. It just makes it a little bit faster. So long ago almost all the clients had Poodles. Almost all had patterns or at least longer leg hair and I do believe all had clippered feet. It's a new thing IMO to not trim Poodle Feet.
                              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X