Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything I can do for a swollen toe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything I can do for a swollen toe?

My female Standard Poodle has been limping the past few days. We had some warmer weather this weekend, and with a snowstorm heading our way, it's been a little damp too. She is 11 now, and with the few extra pounds she could stand to lose, she has had some trouble with slight arthritis when the weather changes. It's always her back right leg she babies, and since that is the leg she is limping, I assumed that was what the problem was.

Tonight I was checking her over some more because she has not improved much over the weekend. She's not using that back leg much at all. While checking her over and lightly massaging her leg (like I always do... she likes that) I looked at her feet. I was actually thinking to myself, "Dang - I just groomed her a few weeks ago and look how hairy her feet have gotten already" when I noticed her toe on her back right foot. It is VERY swollen. So swollen that I can barely put my finger between her toes, and it is very warm to the touch. She's a very tolerant dog and will let me do anything to her, so she is not pulling away, but I could feel her tense up when I touched her toe, so I know it hurts. I checked her toenail out figuring she may have ripped it half off like she's done in the past, and that looks fine. Can't find any cuts or scrapes either. But that is obviously what the problem is - NOT arthritis. I have no idea what she did to herself.

I have a full book tomorrow, but my husband is off so he can take her to the vet. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do for this swelling tonight, or if I should just leave it alone.

I'm really glad she is getting to the vet tomorrow,I betcha it is just an infection,or the like,but it is very important to be aware that there is a genetic problem with cancer of the toe in poodles. Sorry, I didn't want to mention it,but it is good to be aware if it could help catch it early. Hope its just a fatty lump or something!
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

Hope she is ok! Most likely some anti-biotics will help out since it's warm to the touch it's probly just infected. Good luck!

Comment

when marcus stepped on something and his toe got infected, my vet had me soak his foot in a chlorohexidine solution. i believe the dilution rate was 0.2%. let your vet tell you what to do.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

How is she doing? My standard had an infection in his toe last year, got some antibiotics, pills and cream, and he was fine in about 5 days. I have no idea where it came from either, no cuts, scrapes either.
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I've had a few clients over the years who's Standards have lost their toes due to cancer. Ask your vet about that and see what he/she says.

Comment

Originally posted by A1Mobile View Post
              I've had a few clients over the years who's Standards have lost their toes due to cancer. Ask your vet about that and see what he/she says.
              Yes, this is a genetic problem in poodles. I think it affects standards,and mini's more than toys. The PCA is doing research on this health problem,it is good for poodle lovers,groomers,owners to beware. Early diagnosis can make a big difference. The mini I groomed who had it had what appeared to be an infection,or abcess,large,unbroken skin,hot,lump on his back toe.
              "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
              Quote:Cath

Comment

Toe cancer is especially seen in the black standards. Caught soon enough it should be easily dispatched with.

Comment

Hope everything turns out OK. It's probably just an infection, but she might have broken it, too. Or, as mentioned, it could be more serious; cancer.

I'm curious, though. What makes you so sure it's not arthritis? Just because it's only one toe doesn't rule out arthritis. If there had been an infection that affected the joint, it could cause arthritis in that joint only.

Comment

It's a few days since your post, I hope the vet had good news. Epson salt and water soak will reduce swollen tissues in my experience. Rinse after well or even shampoo. No licks, can cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Yappiness View Post
                      It's a few days since your post, I hope the vet had good news. Epson salt and water soak will reduce swollen tissues in my experience. Rinse after well or even shampoo. No licks, can cause problems.
                      Epsom salt is a cathartic, but I doubt there'd be enough on the foot or in the water to cause any laxitive effect unless you let the dog drink a whole lot of it. And that would really be the only problem you'd face from a dog licking it.

Personally, I don't think I"ve ever noticed any difference between soaking in warm water, as opposed to adding Epsom Salt to the water. It feels good, the heat gets circulation going, but I've never noticed it reduces swelling. In some cases, it actually increased swelling, and ice was the better choice.

Comment

Sorry - I had posted this right before the board shut down and I forgot all about it.

Maceys toe is fine now. The vet gave her some antibiotics and inflamatory (sp?) and within a few days she was fine. We never figured out what it was caused from, but Helly is right - the vet did not rule out her arthritis. Could have been that, or she may have done something to herself on our deck AGAIN. She's getting older and not as swift as she use to be. For some reason, her and that deck just do not get along. I think I may lay a big piece of outdoor carpeting on there. Might save me money in vet bills I wish I would have known about the toe cancer (Macey is a black Standard) but I did not know that was all that common with poodles so I didn't think to ask. She does have another appointment next Friday for some blood work though.... I'll talk to him about that then.

Comment

Working...
                        X