Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with what to do....(sorry so long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeeJL
    replied
    Originally posted by SCGroomer View Post
    YAY for you I'm happy you made a decision! What did the guy say???
    I'm wondering the same thing. Did you hear back?

Leave a comment:

• windywaycavaliers
    replied
    JMHO--

I totally and completely understand you.
    Completely. Bills, expenses....I agree.
    But go with your gut,,it has served me VERY well over the years---
    I wouldn't sell this guy a puppy. Military might have made him tight laced and gruff around the edges, when it comes to communicating,but--still- dickering over price despite your stance is disrespectful, and he should be concerned with making a better example of his personality and character with you than he did- so what does that say?
    Pup Nazi that I am--"no pup for you"!

Leave a comment:

• stewiedog
    replied
    I learned the hard way. Add the cost of spaying/neutering in the price of your puppies Hold them until they are 3 months old (my vet willl fix puppies than). You have them fixed, and than they can pick up their altered pet puppy along with the limited reg paper work.

I sold a Whippet puppy to a couple that all ready had a Ch. that they had put out with a handler to finish. This one they wanted to owner handle. So they got the puppy with full reg. and me as the co-owner. They showed her as a 6-9 did ok a couple reserves. Than I get a call when she was 10 monthes old (first heat) what do you know she was "accidently" bred to their friends male pet, with limited reg. (that they did not follow through with the contract from their breeder and neuter) and he was a cream, with liver pigment, and very light eyes. Obviously these pups couldn't be registered because the sire was limited, and I in NO way was signing any papers as the co-owner.

This all could have been avoided if I had kept the puppy closer to home, or just sld her as an already spayed pet. She ended up spayed after all this anyway because the people got a divorce, and the husband spayed her so his ex wife couldn't show her any more.

Leave a comment:

• Fur Elite
    replied
    You did the right thing. Unfortunately, we want to trust people and I have learned that often you can't. It is hard to balance the desire to place a puppy with the internal feelings that no one is good enough to raise our "babies"! If I had an inkling that a potential buyer had designs to breed one of my babies I would also turn them away. However, they aren't always truthful. I had placed a pup into a home only to discover on an online forum that the person had intentions to breed the dog...not part of our agreement (quite the opposite, actually). Luckily I got that puppy back and he is now in an appropriate home. People have worked too hard on the lines for me to jeapordize their reputation. Unfortunately, it happens.

Leave a comment:

• D'tails
    replied
    Originally posted by aussiecrazy View Post
    With that being said he will be getting an email or phone call today that the puppy is no longer available and his check has been destroyed! Thanks guys!
    You did the right thing.

I once asked a mentor about how to properly screen potential buyers - I was worried. The best advice she gave me was "just sit back and let them do all the talking and you will find out what you need to know."

I have found the easiest way to pre-screen people is to have terms clearly defined on your website so people read and understand it all before contacting you. An online puppy application is another good way to filter people out before you waste your time contacting them.

I have had people get rude with me on the phone because I will not sell them a pet quality dog to breed. I simply explain to them that I do not like to deal with the extensive screening process that goes into selling an intact dog, but they are free to contact another breeder who does sell "breeding animals."

Unfortunately witholding AKC papers will not prevent them from breeding it or "registering" it with a bogus paper-selling faux registry.

Leave a comment:

• LJRSnowcat
    replied
    Originally posted by spooky View Post
    It would be real interesting to hear his reaction if you called him up and told him that you took the pup in for a vasectomy to ensure there would be no "accidental" litters produced.
    Exactly. Or better yet, neuter him, tell him he's got an appointment at the vet this week and he should be ready to be picked up.

Leave a comment:

• SCGroomer
    replied
    YAY for you i'm happy you made a decision! What did the guy say???

Leave a comment:

• aussiecrazy
    replied
    Just to clarify....

I am a responsible breeder and I do have a spay/neuter contract and actually require proof from the vet that the proceedure has been done before the papers are turned over to the new owner.....however I guess the feeling that I get from this guy is that once he has the pup, even without papers, I'm not sure that I would ever hear from him again and he would be breeding the dog without papers or my knowlodge of what ever happened to the pup. Yes I am having financial issues but it is so not about the money...I just want the piece of mind that my pup is in a good home. With that being said he will be getting an email or phone call today that the puppy is no longer available and his check has been destroyed! Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• flemishr2cool
    replied
    I would tell him no, However, I also want to add that the ONLY way you can control whether your puppies are used as breeding dogs as adults is to spay and neuter them BEFORE selling them to the new owner, and include the price of the surgery in the total. He just happened to mention that he wanted to breed but what if he hadn't? Then you would have sent that dog to a life of breeding. Just something to think about with future litters.

Leave a comment:

• Fast Ellie
    replied
    Follow your heart and your gut feeling. I wouldn't sell the puppy either. I bred for 20 yrs and I can't begin to tell you how many potentional owners I turned down. I made a mistake once and learned from that never go against my instincts. Never!

Leave a comment:

• spooky
    replied
    It would be real interesting to hear his reaction if you called him up and told him that you took the pup in for a vasectomy to ensure there would be no "accidental" litters produced.

Leave a comment:

• 4Sibes
    replied
    Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    I think you answered your own question. Don't let him have the puppy. He's in the military and wants 2 dogs? Two active dogs?? What if he is deployed? Would his girlfriend be able to cope with 2 dogs? Doesn't sound like a stable home to me.
    That was my first thought, before you even got to the puppy/breeding dilemma.
    I'm not sure that he would pass my screening process for a home period. A lot of potential for transientness.

As far as the rest of it...if you are anything like me...sleeping on these things NEVER makes them look BETTER in the morning, just worse in a much clearer way! Good luck, but just reading the length and detail of your post kinda tells me you already know the answer.
    I hope you get some relief from your financial straights too.

Leave a comment:

• DogChic
    replied
    If you would like to be viewed as a reputable and responsible breeder then, no - do not sell the puppy to someone who knows absolutely nothing about breeding dogs and wants to breed it. This should be your reason for screening puppy buyers - to weed these people out.

If this is not a big deal to you (which I understand, not everyone feels the need to aim for such status as a breeder, not making judgement - it is what it is), the decision, of course, is up to you.

Leave a comment:

• KarlaSnyder
    replied
    I think you answered your own question. Don't let him have the puppy. He's in the military and wants 2 dogs? Two active dogs?? What if he is deployed? Would his girlfriend be able to cope with 2 dogs? Doesn't sound like a stable home to me.

Leave a comment:

• k2p1e
    replied
    Rip up the cheque. Got with your gut feeling. You will sleep better tonight, there will be other buyers for the pups.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X