Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with what to do....(sorry so long)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Struggling with what to do....(sorry so long)

    I have a litter of 6 week old Aussie pups out of my double champion male and my champion female...I have three black tri boys still available....two are definitely just pet quality but one does have two blue eyes (that's what everyone seems to want) and one show quality. Had a military guy contact me about the litter saying that they were looking to get two pups and that HE either wanted a tri with blue eyes or a blue merle and then he would just let his girlfriend pick the other puppy based on what she liked best. Told him all my merles were sold but they were welcome to come look at the tri's...told him the prices over the phone too, show pup was more than the other two. So yesterday they drive over an hour to see them and as we're looking at them and playing with them he picks up the one with blue eyes and says "what kind of price are you willing to do on this one?" Same as I told you on the phone $850. His girlfriend liked the other plain jane pet puppy but he picked up the show puppy and said I'll give you $1500 for both...and by the way how hard is it to breed Aussies anyways cause I want to breed him at least one just so I can say I did it and champion lines are really important to me. WRONG THING TO SAY TO ME.....I am not one of those crazy show people or breeders who think that they are better than everyone else and am willing to sell a show puppy with breeding rights to a novice as long as they show me that they are interested and willing to do something with the dog...agility, conformation, obedience but not to some [email protected]$$ who is just gonna throw him out in the back yard and breed him just so he can say he has a Champion bred dog that he is going to breed. I told him the price on the show pup was $950 as a pet and $1200 if he wanted breeding rights and he would have to prove he had all the health clearances done before I would sign over papers...also told him that I paid $2000 for my Ch. male and $1100 for Ch. girl and all the money involved in health clearances and how much money I had invested in professional handlers getting those show titles....and that I give a health guarantee with my pups so they are worth every penny...at this point I was trying to discourage him from wanting one of my pups by being a little snobby/bitchy just cause I didn't have a good feeling about him....then he offers me $1600 for both...I tell him no not budging on the price of that show pup...told him I would take that for the two pet pups but that was it....told him I would give him and his girlfriend a few minutes to talk about it and excused myself from the room. So I'm standing there by myself in the next room thinking what the hell am I doing...my family has been having a really hard time financially, if our house doesn't get sold within the next month we're going to lose it....I really need this money but I just couldn't throw away my morals and sell him that show puppy...kept thinking go find yourself a backyard breeder to sell you a **** puppy if your so cheap....oh but wait that's right, he wants "Champion lines"....uggg. He comes into the room and says he is going to put a deposit on the blue eyed pet puppy ( I did explain that this pup would be on a limited reg. and was not to be used for breeding). He writes the check tells me he'll be back in two weeks to pick up the pup and leaves and in the mean time is going to look for a blue merle female since I didn't have a blue available and that is how he will end up with his two pups. I keep getting the feeling that even though this pup is sold as a pet ONLY that he will breed him even though he will not be able to get papers on him. I really want to tear up his deposit check and call him and say sorry I can't sell you the dog but I hate confrontation and don't want to just come out and say it's because you gave me the creepy feeling and I don't like you...the pups have an eye exam scheduled next week and thought about just telling him he didn't pass his eye exam so he won't want him but don't want to make my dogs look bad either. Like I said I really need the money but at this point I really don't want him to have any of my dogs...I have worked too hard to get what I have. What would you guys do?

  • #2
    I know money is a big issue, but I would NEVER sell a puppy to them.
    The breeder I use to work for sold pups to people just wanting to breed them it made me sick every time they would come to pick up the pup, they didn't always see the pup as a dog in the end all that was going to be is a money maker to them. People think CH lines means more $$ in the pockets! On the chance that they don't get a pup from a good breeder (the other one) they could end up with seizures health issues and then produce more bad lines. I live with a aussie with issues, and would never allow anyone else to end up with a pup like him if i could prevent it
    The pup will eventually sell, and you can get your money. It is your responsibility as a breeder to preserve and protect the breed. If you are regretting it now you may just end up regretting it for a long time!
    Good luck on your decision!

    Comment


    • #3
      I am not a breeder yet but I am working on breeding show frenchies. I did make a deal with myself that if I got a bad feeling I wouldn't sell the dogs. It does complicate things that your house is at steak but if you sold the puppy would it save your home??? If the answer is yes it will help save your home then I would pray hard and sell the puppy if it's not really going to make much of a difference, then no i wouldn't sell. I would tell him it's a moral issue and you can't in good faith sell the puppy it's suppost to be a pet.
      Also, he sounds like he will breed pet dogs and sell them just for the money and most of the puppies will end up in a shelter. Do you have a spay/neuter contract on the pet quality pups? If you are going to think every waking second of every day (what happened to that pup) then it's not worth it, I know I would worry. You sound like you have good instincts. My hubby and I a few years ago were looking at boxer pups at this ladies home. Three out of four were available and it was us and another couple and the guy from the other couple kept asking which one was the best for using as a stud and he wanted the flashy fawn male that we just picked out. She basically said none goodbye and told them to leave these puppies arn't to be put through that lifestyle... Good luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Stick to your morals. There your puppies and you have the right to do what you want. You know someone else will be along the way to buy the dogs who have morals and values

        Comment


        • #5
          Rip up that check! You have no idea how many times he will breed that pup and frankly he sounds like an arrogant *@#% and I would never sell a puppy to him. I know how hard it is when you're financially strapped, but if you believe in ethical breeding practices then you can not sell this puppy to this man!
          My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

          Comment


          • #6
            I personally would not compromise my morals or my dog for money or a dumb a$$ human....but that's just me & MHO....

            Sending my best thoughts out for your financial situaton.
            {hug}

            Comment


            • #7
              Personally, I've learned over the years to rely on my gut reactions. If you feel uneasy about these potential buyers, I suggest you return their deposit and inform them that the pup is to be sold to a pet home and NOT to be used for breeding purposes. Which is in conflict with their plans. END OF DISCUSSION!

              Comment


              • #8
                Rip up the cheque. Got with your gut feeling. You will sleep better tonight, there will be other buyers for the pups.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think you answered your own question. Don't let him have the puppy. He's in the military and wants 2 dogs? Two active dogs?? What if he is deployed? Would his girlfriend be able to cope with 2 dogs? Doesn't sound like a stable home to me.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

                  Groom on!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you would like to be viewed as a reputable and responsible breeder then, no - do not sell the puppy to someone who knows absolutely nothing about breeding dogs and wants to breed it. This should be your reason for screening puppy buyers - to weed these people out.

                    If this is not a big deal to you (which I understand, not everyone feels the need to aim for such status as a breeder, not making judgement - it is what it is), the decision, of course, is up to you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                      I think you answered your own question. Don't let him have the puppy. He's in the military and wants 2 dogs? Two active dogs?? What if he is deployed? Would his girlfriend be able to cope with 2 dogs? Doesn't sound like a stable home to me.
                      That was my first thought, before you even got to the puppy/breeding dilemma.
                      I'm not sure that he would pass my screening process for a home period. A lot of potential for transientness.

                      As far as the rest of it...if you are anything like me...sleeping on these things NEVER makes them look BETTER in the morning, just worse in a much clearer way! Good luck, but just reading the length and detail of your post kinda tells me you already know the answer.
                      I hope you get some relief from your financial straights too.
                      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It would be real interesting to hear his reaction if you called him up and told him that you took the pup in for a vasectomy to ensure there would be no "accidental" litters produced.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Follow your heart and your gut feeling. I wouldn't sell the puppy either. I bred for 20 yrs and I can't begin to tell you how many potentional owners I turned down. I made a mistake once and learned from that never go against my instincts. Never!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would tell him no, However, I also want to add that the ONLY way you can control whether your puppies are used as breeding dogs as adults is to spay and neuter them BEFORE selling them to the new owner, and include the price of the surgery in the total. He just happened to mention that he wanted to breed but what if he hadn't? Then you would have sent that dog to a life of breeding. Just something to think about with future litters.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just to clarify....

                              I am a responsible breeder and I do have a spay/neuter contract and actually require proof from the vet that the proceedure has been done before the papers are turned over to the new owner.....however I guess the feeling that I get from this guy is that once he has the pup, even without papers, I'm not sure that I would ever hear from him again and he would be breeding the dog without papers or my knowlodge of what ever happened to the pup. Yes I am having financial issues but it is so not about the money...I just want the piece of mind that my pup is in a good home. With that being said he will be getting an email or phone call today that the puppy is no longer available and his check has been destroyed! Thanks guys!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X