Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squawbonds
    replied
    Where I am, people are so paranoid about their dogs being too short so I do exactly what they tell me. One time I had a yorkie come in and he was so misshapen I took it upon myself to even him up. The girl said I took off all his hair. The next time he came in I barely took anything and she said I did better last time. U never know if it's going to be good or bad so I just clean them the best I can and if they look better than when they came in then I think I'm good. Their eyes is what these people look at. If they can see their eyes and they are fluffy and clean maybe smell good then I'm gettin paid. LOL

Leave a comment:

• pooh13
    replied
    My base prices are priced the same for a bath and brush as they are for a clipper-ed hair cut up to #4 as I do not own a #3 blade anything left longer than a #4 is considered hand scissored style which depending on the dogs coat may be charged extra for.Dual coated breeds are priced more depending on the size and amount of extra work I have to put in to it.I scissor finish all cuts however some take more time than others depending on the length left behind. majority of my grooms are longer cuts very few shave downs so I do tend to do alot of hand scissoring .Even if a guard comb is used the dog is still fully hand scissored. so prices are adjusted accordingly. feather trims are included in the base price .My pricing is also based on breed standards so unless the client comes in more than once a month they are charged full price.

Leave a comment:

• Smart-n-Pretty
    replied
    Are you listening, GLG?

Leave a comment:

• edderland
    replied
    I did that for years; a bath and brush ended up a partial haircut, but, then I found the clients offering resitance to paying full price for a haircut. The same at the corporate where I groom now. So I had to put my foot down. A bath brush and nails is just that, a bath brush and nails. A full haircut is only four dollars more, and you get a face feet and tail, or a half haircut or a full haircut for the same price.
    I based my price for the haircut on a full haircut, but I tell the clients, if I pick up scissors or cippers, you pay for a full haircut. And actually, many of our former B & B's are full haircuts now. Our bath prices are fairly hair, probably the highest in the area, but we do a ton of them, too.
    Had a new client in today; his former groomer of over 16 years had not had a price increase in all those years, Jan 1st doubled his price on each of 3 dogs. She doubled all her clients, apparently. She lost a loyal client, but had she increased a couple of dollars every other year, she would still have the client and would be making a good price nowadays. It was too much for one jump. That said, I am not grooming his dogs, either, as I am higher by 2.00 than her new price, but another groomer offered to do them for nearly what he had been paying the old groomer.
    Not me.

Leave a comment:

• Smallpaws
    replied
    ditto

I perform extra services also. I think that it's giving superb customer service. However, I would like to hear from those who think we are crazy. Two sides to this coin, and actually, I would like someone to successfully convince me I'm wacky for giving extra. Bring it on....

Leave a comment:

• arlaede
    replied
    I too do this all of the time! Just can't help it! Cavilers are the worst...mistakenly priced them as bath/minor trim and end up full grooming all of them for the price of a bath minor trim....no wonder I'm seeing SO many!

Re-pricing starts as soon as I run out of brochures!

Leave a comment:

• mylady
    replied
    Aww, with that face how could you not! LOL. Bassett right? Everyone I've met has hated their nails done!
    I used to have a client come to the salon for a nail and foot trim on his golden. She always had matts in her hindquarters and tail and I just couldn't let her leave like that, so I would always brush them out as well.
    The two cavs I did today, I think most of the groomers around here see them as easy bath dogs, but of course I have to coat king, strip, blah blah blah. The female I did today gets that fu-manchu looking mustache on her face and I finger pluck that out. Today I met the owners daughter, who is a groomer that lives in NJ. I kept wondering if she was going to be going over my work, I was a little nervous! LOL.
    On a side note, the springer I did today had markings like a tri color Cav in the face. I've never seen that before. Is that possible in a pure bred Springer or would that mean he may have something else in him? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• Poodleluv
    replied
    Huh! I resemble that remark!

This is Frederick. He comes for a dremel every 2 weeks. His Dad pays only for the dremel. that is fine with me. but wait! I see dandruff flecks,no shine in the coat,shedding hair,so out comes the latex gloves,a spritz of witch hazel,a spritz of crown royal,the furminator,and a pile of hair. LOLOh ,and some strange compulsion to peer into those gigantic ears and make sure they are clean,and wipe em out gratis with my epi if they are not!He hates his nails done ,but loves the rest.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jenneversage64
    replied
    In the long run

it should make your job easier next time. If you love it that way, then that is your reward. I sure hope all those clients appreciate you. I often offer for free to fix a head or something on the other dog. Last time I fixed a face a former groomer left uneven and not trimmed into the neck on the Powder Puff, she did NOT appreciate it. I am now nervous to trim him this week. Chinese Powder Puff dog.

Leave a comment:

• tia2370
    replied
    I find myself doing extra work sometimes, too. If I have a little time, my light trims get all the crazy hairs trimmed off and puppies in puppy training get a little extra shaping up all over if they're decently behaved. I think a lot of my clients like the extra effort because they ask to come back to me! One did give her dog a funny look, though, when I touched up her dog's spots. She didn't say anything, but she looked very closely at her dog. I had to look away to keep from laughing. She's such a sweet lady. I didn't know about making the spots pop before I started reading her and decided to try it on her papillon. She looked fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• Kubota
    replied
    If I have some extra time, I will do the same. But I always let the owners know that I "threw in a little extra trimming today".
    Some days, I just don't have the extra time to spend and I wouldn't want them to be disappointed next time.
    I find it very hard to let a dog leave when I know that it could look better with just that little bit of extra time and effort. While I remind myself that the owner gets what they pay for, I'm always thinking that they are also my walking advertisement. Where does it end???? LOL

Leave a comment:

• KarlaSnyder
    replied
    You are not alone! It's amazing how much hair is on the floor for "just a bath".

Leave a comment:

• flyingfur
    replied
    I do the same thing! and people notice! Apparently I'm the only groomer in town who uses an Hv and a furminator on labs, coat king on goldens, etc. I simply have to do the best I can on every dog.

Leave a comment:

• scrubapup
    replied
    LOL!! I do it to myself all the time. I have a Cocker that comes in every 3 weeks. The owner use to bring her in every 6 weeks but then decided she wanted to bring her in for a bath in between grooms. So it's "supose" to be full groom, then 3 weeks later a bath.... 3 weeks later FG, etc, etc.

But I find myself shaving her face and doing alot more trimming then I should on those bath visits just because I can't help myself. Her hair grows so fast it just needs to be trimmed up. lol And of course, I only charge the owner my bath price because that's what she is coming for.

Leave a comment:

• onions
    replied
    OMG!
    I am QUEEN at that.
    "JUST a bath" is not in my vocabulary....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X