If only the dog would have cooperated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only the dog would have cooperated

I had a golden opportunity with the prettiest Standard Poodle I've ever seen today. The owner just acquired this dog yesterday and wanted to have him groomed today.

He was big, solid white, no matts and......spastic. I was thinking that I could really make this dog look good (even I couldn't screw this one up). But he fought every inch of the way and I had to hand him back over to the owner a couple of hours later unfinished. The owner agreed to bring him back in two weeks and we'd try him again, hoping to get him better used to getting groomed.

The dog is 14 months old and very full of himself but what a beauty. I became a fan of poodles today (never in my life would I have dreamed that I would utter those words).

Originally posted by Jedd View Post
    I became a fan of poodles today (never in my life would I have dreamed that I would utter those words).
    It only takes one & then you get "the bug". I wonder how long 'til you are living with one.

I would ONLY take that guy back if the owner agrees to get a dog walker to wear him OUT first. It makes a HUGE difference.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Sorry you got the "bug" lol stpoos are wonderful. I hope I never have another one. Mine was a black skinned white, great girl, miss her,coat to die for. But sheesh! What a prima donna! Attacked the shepherds,sassed when scolded, loved that dog.I just do'nt have time for the upkeep.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Getting Bit by the Poodle Bug

I remember the dog that won me over... a gorgeous, gentle, and loving Standard Parti (b&w) named Zeke. What a looker he was! He passed about 5 months after I first met him, and my own poodle is named after him. I got my Zeke less than a year after I fell in love with poodles.
        My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

We had a 10mo old standard puppy bitch come into our shop a couple weeks ago and man, she gave me the bug. I've always thought standards were pretty, and i enjoyed working on them but I always told myself I would never own one. Then I met this bitch. She was black and black can be, real short backed, nice tail set, real cutesy type bitch. OH she was darling. I was talking to the owner and found out that the breeder has a litter about to be born any day. I'm SOOOOO tempted to get one. Never in a million years did I think I would actually consider owning a standard.

Comment

Beware....

Once you have one and he or she is the ONE!!! They can become very addicting, I now have five standards and I would not have it any other way! Call me crazy....
            I LOVE MY POODLES AND THEY LOVE ME.
            ***Darlynn***
            ***DON"T HATE ME BECAUSE IM POODLEFUL!!***

Comment

I bet it will be fine when she settles in a bit. Her brain is probably going a hundred miles an hour with all the new things in her life

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                It only takes one & then you get "the bug". I wonder how long 'til you are living with one.

I would ONLY take that guy back if the owner agrees to get a dog walker to wear him OUT first. It makes a HUGE difference.
                That's the truth I did that with the mini poodle I groomed and she was wanting to curl up and nap before I finished (LOL)

Comment

I've had two in my life at different times and I love the breed! I now have a chihuahua....go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yappiness View Post
                    I've had two in my life at different times and I love the breed! I now have a chihuahua....go figure.
                    You don't have a chihuahua. You have one of those rare Short Haired Miniature Tea Cup Peruvian Poodles. Very popular in Southern Himalaya region of Perkanistan.

Comment

I have both a standard AND a chihuahua. Go figger.

Awesome seeing people's reactions.
                      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedd View Post
                        You don't have a chihuahua. You have one of those rare Short Haired Miniature Tea Cup Peruvian Poodles. Very popular in Southern Himalaya region of Perkanistan.
                        Sweet! I have 2 of those. When the boy was a baby people would ask, "Chihuahua?" & my then 8 & 10 year old kids would answer, "Nope! Doberman seed. HERE'S yer Sign!"
                        Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 02-26-10, 11:23 AM. Reason: gotta fix my crappy typing
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I have a suggestion,,,,,I groom a shep-a-doodle that will be a year old this summer and she is a total spaz on the table. Sat, I tried moving the table up aganist the wall and it really helped. She stopped wiggling and acting like she was gonna fall and behaved for the 1st time!!! When I 1st started grooming her, she was this cute little doodle puppy, now she is so big I can hardly see the top of her head,, ( I'm only 5'4"). Putting my table up aganist the wall really helped, I spent less time trying to keep her still and more time making her pretty. So far, I haven't been bitten by the poodle bug, my dogs are lucky if they get their ears cleaned and nails trimmed on a reg basis, I can't imagine talking care of a poodle.

Comment

LOL I never thought I would want a Poodle, no matter what size until i took a break from grooming. Now I want a Toy Poo someday. I used to groom a huge STpoo named Jake who had to be done without any other dogs or cats around or he would go nuts wanting to play. He had a beautiful coat and came every 2 weeks. When I left there i was so burnt out on him I was happy to not have to groom him anymore .. Up until about a month later and I missed his goofiness.

Comment

Working...
                            X