shihtzu won't let me do his eyes or inside of ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shihtzu won't let me do his eyes or inside of ears

I have a shihtzu client that will no way let me use clippers in corners of his eyes or inside of ears. he gets very vocal about it. he will sometimes let me use my little round tipped scissors to clip the hair from the corners of his eyes and inside of ears. But sometimes NOT even that. He has never bitten me,but growls and pulls his head way up,so I can't even hold it down. I have been a groomer for over 25 years and this is the first time I have had this problem with a dog. I do a lot of Shihtzus and have no trouble with any of them. I am not so sure he wouldn't bite me if I pushed, but I can't even hold his down when he doesn't want me to. lil bugger.. Ant suggestions would be appreciated. I am frustrated...

After he has had his bath and has had the towel dry he will still be damp. During this time his attention and mindset will be of how cold i am and not what this awful lady is doing to me. Have your clippers handy and while you hold the scruff of hair on his chinney chin chin swipe the clean hair from his eyes. This will take practice but it is one of the tricks i do with the fighters. A Groomers Helper also helps in this case also.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I am having the same trouble with a shih-tzu that I do. He will not let clippers or scissors near his head. This little guy literally makes me break out into a sweat. I hope someone here has a suggestion that will help with these type of head dodgers (lol)

Comment

Show Shitzus have hair that is not trimmed on the nose. It will lay down if you leave it alone. THAT is what I would suggest. As for the ears, what are you trying to do? Pluck? If so QUIT. It wont hurt him.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I have asked owners to start rubbing their noses to get them to relax. Then when they come for a groom I use my tiny round-ended scissors to stroke their nose, and snip a few hairs between strokes.

I also have a couple of dogs that totally relax when I wrap them in a towel and hold them between my knees on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
            Show Shitzus have hair that is not trimmed on the nose. It will lay down if you leave it alone. THAT is what I would suggest. As for the ears, what are you trying to do? Pluck? If so QUIT. It wont hurt him.
            I have found that if the owner will let the hair grow so that it will lay down, there is less irritation to the eyes, as the little hairs are not growing back and poking the eyes all the time. My own shih-tzu was having a lot of problems, till I starting letting that hair grow out, as I have done with most of my other customers, that don't cut the hair between grooms themselves. As for the ears, don't clip it under the ears, if it is the clippers that are bothering it.

Comment

Someone on here (I think) mentioned once to do the face first. Before the bath or anything else. I tried that with a shih tzu that I do and it helps a lot. But even at that, I have to cradle his head with one hand and two fingers of the other while I work the clippers.

Comment

Ya know, I am just not into holding them down and getting them done at all cost. Esp with a dog that is short nosed and bug eyed. I would rather not injure them myself. My own shihtzu (like BearMtn) had horrid eye stains and irritated eyes including ulcers. Her eyes were scooped under before I got her (well, before I stole her) Her daughter, UhOh, that many of you may remember from my shihtzu classes, has never had her eyes trimmed and had no issue. I left it to grow out on my old girl and the problems went away. MANY of my clients have never had them trimmed. Some request it, but if they don't I don't.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I had a shih tzu puppy who would freak out for anything on his head or face. Mom started bringing him in once a week to sit on the table, have me just comb his head and run the clippers by him. It took about a month of this, but I can groom his head now. Sometimes he will still fuss, but I just wait him out.

This does take some commitment from the owner, but if they are willing to try, it could work.

I didn't charge for this because it only benefited me in the end, but the owner still tipped me for it.

Comment

You might try doing his face in the tub even before you start drying him. Sometimes that helps.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

this is gonna sound nuts to you guys but here goes........
                      I sing to them.LOUD! I started doing it when my kids were little and throwing a fit.Id start singing that barney song "if all the snowflakes were candy bars and milk shakes oh what a snow that would be"
                      They stop and look and try to figure out what the heck is going on,So when I would have dogs flipping out about having their feet touched or ears plucked Id sing that to them-it works .I think they are trying to figure out whats wrong with this lady.its funny .
                      the first time people see me do it they are like "what is this chick doing "
                      then it distracts the dog then they are like cool whatever works.It cant hurt.
                      I also have dogs that have a panic attack when the nailtrimmers make the snap noise as you cut the nail.I try to make some kind of noise when I do nails too. sometimes ill just say whooo in a high pitched voice.

Comment

I would have the owners start rubbing and squishing massaging that area lots between groomings. Maybe practice touching blunt objects to his nose and treating for it. Also have them take him for a long walk before dropping off.

Most owners will not want to bother with all this, but this is when giving them the "We can work as a team" speech comes in handy because most likely, he isnt going to change just by seeing you once ever 4-8 weeks

Comment

Try gently rubbing the scissors on his head, by his ears and on the bridge of his nose as you talk calmly to the dog. Daryl Conner has a tip where she goes bonk bonk on the bridge of the dogs nose with the scissor and then she quickly trims by the eyes/face. I personally use thinning shears there, not a clipper. I would do it first thing before the dog gets stressed.
                          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Parti, what about the part between the stop that you want to clear out to form a nice eye separation for a teddy head?

Comment

I too have done the singing loud thing and usually off key on purpose. Adds a little "what the....is that ! I've had great success and it helps me get level too. I do some Lhasas eyes in the tub after cleaning and softening the eye goo. It's the only way they will tolerate scissors around the eyes. Some I have done under the stand dryer aimed towards their head(cool air) and they get intrigued with the hair flying past them. Sometimes nothing works.

Comment

Working...
                              X