Deskunking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deskunking

So I'm curious as to what everyone uses to deskunk dogs, if they do them.

I've seen shampoos just for this, and am wondering if they work better than the old dish soap/peroxide/baking soda mix.

I do the ol baking soda/peroxide/dawn thing. Let it sit Then I do a dawn bath on the skunked area, then a grimenator then condition. As long as I get it within a reasonable amount of time it gets most of the smell out unless you bury your face in the area or the dog gets wet.

Comment

I saturate the main area with Arm and Hammer baking soda tooth PASTE......let it dry and then wash with oxy dishsoap, peroxide and baking soda and I kick it up with a tablespoon of KOE (Kennel Odor Eliminator) the paste is easy to manipulate and get into tricky areas and it absorbs alot of the oil on the skunk spray and the rest gets broken up by the other mixture and I find that the KOE does a nice job rescenting the dog One of my bullies got it straight in the face three days before a dogshow and the smell was unnoticeable by the time we hit the ring

Comment

I have 2 shampoos for skunk removal they both work very well. #1 wild thang by laube this is a very well rounded shampoo all natural has many uses such as flea and tick and of all things skunk no matter how long ago it was sprayed.the other is pet deodorizing shampoo with nil odor .both work extremely well

Comment

You made me do it...

Come on guys! You all know this works. I have not ever made one cent off this nor do I get any money for even clicking on my article. You will be pleased with the results I promise!

http://hubpages.com/hub/skunk-odor-cure

Comment

I have tried the peroxide mix it works best if the owner has not tried other remedies. However I have found over the eyars that applying pure cokking vanilla to the stinky area covers up smell you can't get out! And it the dog gets wet it smells lovely.

Comment

I still use the ole peroxide/dish soap/BS remedy and follow it up w/ SOS (Skunk Off Shampoo) and find it works really well.

Have to admit to not trying your method Kimber...not having seen it before. Our skunks are beginning to emerge from their little naps, in search of love...so maybe I'll give that one a try as they begin to decorate our local dogs.

A friend called yesterday, 4 Sibes, doggy-door, 2 am date w/ a skunk in the backyard.
              I should have given him 4 different remedies and asked him to do a little "research" as he was mucking his way thru the production.
              He was in no mood for lightheartedness. Humor isn't always the best approach, even with a friend.
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimberluvsk9 View Post
                Come on guys! You all know this works.
                Obviously we don't all know that it works. But many of us do know that peroxide/baking soda/dish detergent works, and many of us have looked into the science of why it works.

The trick is to not wet the animal first. If you wet the animal, or if the owner has tried anything at home, all that's happened is spreading the spray through the entire coat, and setting it in. So no wetting, no bathing first. Wipe off as much spray as possible with paper towels or an old towel you won't mind throwing away. Apply the mixture to the areas where the skunk spray is and let it set for 10 minutes. Rinse, then follow up with a good bath.

Comment

Had a customer years ago whose Sibe had a date with a skunk woke th eowner up she had killed the stinker too.Owner went back to bed left the dog outside and she ended up eating the skunk!!! Lucky for her there were no repercussions except a very stinky breathed dogs(we did get the skunk smell out of her coat!)

Comment

I use the hydro/baking/dawn mix. But I just read a few books about essential oils and hydrosols, they had a few recipes I want to try. If any of them work I'll post the recipes or if you want one let me know and I'll look em up!

Comment

I tried this last month and yes, it does work! I spoke with the husband a couple of weeks later and he said wife was happy. Apparently she had been staying overnight with an elderly parent and the husband was home with the dog. Dog went out late at night and got skunked and husband didn't know or smell it. Wife came home the next morning and all hell broke loose. Husband had to make arrangements for carpets and dog to be cleaned immediately.

Comment

I use skunk off shampoo, it is tearless so it can be used around the face. I have heard that the salt bath does work...try anything when the smell is so bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          The trick is to not wet the animal first. If you wet the animal, or if the owner has tried anything at home, all that's happened is spreading the spray through the entire coat, and setting it in. So no wetting, no bathing first.
                          Good reminder Helly! No one around here is ever told that, even when their own vet's clinics recommend the DS/BS/HP mixture. I don't think they realize that.
                          It makes a BIG difference in the outcome.
                          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Poor Weezie walked behind a skunk

I tried using the method of water, dishsoap and salt following by "Natural Groomers Di-Limonaide". What a great outcome. Owner liked the citrus smell and dog looked awesome! I will definitely try this again! I am so grateful to this forum for all the help I get. My clients appreciate the assistance I can offer with their pets too! Thanks everyone!

Comment

Come on guys! You all know this works. I have not ever made one cent off this nor do I get any money for even clicking on my article. You will be pleased with the results I promise!

Come on Kimber. You post this every time the question comes up. Obviously we DON'T know this works, or we'd be suggesting it instead of the peroxide/baking soda mixture.

And personally, I know the science behind why the peroxide mixture works. I don't know the science behind the method you're suggesting. I don't think you do either. But I suspect it may "work" the same way tomato juice works. Which is simple. It doesn't. You just develop olfactory fatigue, and think the odor is gone, when in fact it's your ability to detect the odor that's missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X