4 Sibes, what do I do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Sibes, what do I do???

I scheduled myself a husky for next week! What is the best way to proceed with him? He has fuzzy hair. They have been paying for the furminating treatment, but they say he is still thick and fuzzy when they get him home. He is beautiful, I am going to ask the owners to email a pic so I can see what I am working with. Would I use a stripping knife to get the fuzzys out so his coat lies nicely? I plan to use Almond crisp and de-shed and use earmuffs and goggles to dry. I own a coarse knife, a fine knife, a CC pin brush and a coarse coat king, along with slickers, etc. Also, should I dilute the De-shed, I can imagine it would take forever to rinse out. On the cell pic I saw last night, he looks like he has malamute coat more than sibe coat. All advice - except the run for the hills kind, cause I already took the job-will be welcome!

While I am not Bernie, I would like to say that it sounds to me like he has damaged coat from the furminator! Those things can damage that type of coat. I am a big fan of blowing out what will blow and combing out the rest. I do not card the double coats. too much risk of damaging the hair. I do have an undercoat rake that works great and a triple wide DULL DULL DULL Coat King I use as well, but usually bowing out and combing are all I need to get the job done right.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Lucy...you've got all the right equipment lined up. For a Cairn.

First find out if by "fuzzy"...do they mean the husky is shedding alot....like a cotton-ball popcorn machine, or is it what we call a "woolly"...which is a husky w/ an incorrect coat.
      I suspect it's a woolly, from your brief description. They are essentially dogs whose coat consists of dense, long, fluffy undercoat, and lots of it. No guard coat, and alot of additional length, plumed tail many times. Very cute they are, but tons of work, and fyi- a disqualifying fault.

Do you have a recirc. bather? That's the easiest way to go.

Use water just a little cooler than you would typically use on the dog, unless it is blowing coat....then stick w/ the norm-warm.
      Use a good conditioning shampoo, and Zoom Groom if you have one, and tho I've never tried it, I'm anxious to get one of these guys back in because I want to try the tip of mixing 1/2 cap of The Stuff right in w/ the shampoo.
      Rinse, again...just slightly cooler water, unless blowing (then warmer).

I use The Stuff (spray)....diluted a bit more than the instructions call for, and apply ample amount, towel in well.

Sibes (and groomers) benefit greatly from the use of the Happy Hoody.

HV as much coat out as you can BEFORE you start in w/ the brush, particularly if the dog's "time limit" is close to expiring. Don't piddle around w/ HVing AND brushing, just try to blow the bulk of it out.

I then (for the typical pet that now needs a break, as do I,) put them in a wire kennel under a fan, and maybe the nozzle (no concentrator nozzle on) of one of my Metro AF-3's.

Once they are pretty darn dry...I pop them up on my table and work thru/finish the coat w/ my purple Les Pooch, and I have a Teflon coated rake, wide tooth Poodle comb for deep, thick, long britches on a woolly.

Can't honestly say that I've ever found the Furminator to be of any use on a Sibe coat.
      Too time consuming, and not enough effective return on my time.

I definitely trim pads and toes on woollies around here....they are instant snowball makers.

If you get a pic, and post it...I'll be happy to confirm that these are the steps I would take w/ this specific dog. Good Luck!
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Yep agree with Bernie.

I groom a woolly, and I NEVER furminate her!! That thing will ruin the coat for sure. I use the HV to blow the shampoo in, then rinse, then condition, HV with conditioner, then rinse.

I use Quicker Slicker on her, and I do thin out her butt and skirt because her mom can't brush her because of an elbow issue. I use an undercoat rake to get the coat out more than anything. Her hair is too long to use anything else.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SiberianLover; 02-18-10, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SiberianLover View Post
          an undercoat rake .
          OOH, I HAVE ONE OF THOSE TOO!!
          It is upstairs, I used it on my cat last year, I think, lol. Seriously, I have not done anything requiring one of those since I started my business. My pin brush, slicker and zoom groom have sufficed for the 3 large furries that I do.

Comment

Just a sidenote.

I didn't forget the conditioning step....I just rarely do it.
            I will use a restorative conditioning treatment on a burnt coat, or a post whelping blowing coat bitch, dog blowing after anesthesia, etc,...but other than that, I haven't seen the need.
            My Sibes that show are thoroughly bathed and groomed at minimum 2X a month, and sometimes every week for a 6 to 10 week stretch. I find that w/ decent diet, quality conditioning shampoo, and tools that don't destroy the coat...they do just fine.

Absolutely nothing against using a conditioner....but I would dilute the heck outa it, or you'll be there for a week rinsing.
            I would NOT use a conditioner AND The Stuff on a woolly if you want a really fluffy finish.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
              Just a sidenote.

...if you want a really fluffy finish.
              Bern,how about the big combs with long polished non scratchy, widely spaced teeth? I have a resco,and a real old #1 all systems of these ,and I love them for hairy double coats. I haven't found a rake with long enough pins ,where do you get one?
              "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
              Quote:Cath

Comment

Bernie, have you seen the Aussie Dog comb? I have one & love it for long coats. Would it be effective on a Sibe like it is on a STP or Keeshond?
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Anyone that has worked in a particular store may know this trick for De - shedding its messy as all get out but works wonders, any conditioner can be used for this. after shampooing rinse well and apply undiluted conditioner to the coat,next use your HV on high to blow through the conditioner until the dog almost looks dry what has not blown off of the dog will actually be absorbed by the hair as a deep penetrating conditioning treatment . then rinse thoroughly and hv the dig dry to blow out any left over excess undercoat. brush as normal then finish out with your comb this process works so well that I can literally get a(fine toothed) cat comb through a malamutes thick hair

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                    Bern,how about the big combs with long polished non scratchy, widely spaced teeth? I have a resco,and a real old #1 all systems of these ,and I love them for hairy double coats. I haven't found a rake with long enough pins ,where do you get one?
                    Sounds like we have the same comb. Mine is a Resco, teeth are 1 1/4" long and spaced 1/4" apart.
                    I certainly "graduate' to finer toofed combs as I move along in a big, hairy, double coat, but I love this one to initially make my way through.

Smarten...I quickly googled that comb, but the teeth (on the ones I saw) don't seem to be wide enough to achieve what I am initially trying to accomplish. Looks like it would make a good finishing comb tho. (Keeping in mind I am talking about woolly coats....your comb seems great for a typical Sibe coat.)

I've tried the HVing w/ shampoo/conditioner a few times. A Sheltie, a Sibe, a ChowX.
                    It was a disaster of such proportion...I almost posted a thread about it.
                    My tub "unit" is built in such a way that on 3 sides it is floor to ceiling, so all that gloppy hair and awful mist was swirling around not only the dog, but me. We both ended up inhaling it and choking and gagging for our lives! Gads, it was awful!
                    I had to drop everything when I had the dog rinsed and HV'd, and jump in the shower myself. I guess you guys that can do this...have a much more "open" type of tub arrangement? Sure seemed like a good idea. I guess I'm just not set up for it.

Comment

My daughter has some kind of talent,that she didn'y inherit from me. I think she got this skill while working for another groomer who does a LOT of big hairies. No matter how overdue,packed ,filthy,the double coat ,sge just uses good shampoo ,a rubber curry,and her goggles and HV, a face mask,and a long pin comb,or undercoat rake. She scoffs at the products I offer,to help blow out the paqcked stuff,tangles,etc. She will use a finishing spray,but not until the coat is almost dry. Often she will dissappear in a swirling cloud of husky hair,only to emerge,with big hairies that look like the Westminster dogs,Needless to say ,she had a fairly big following .of clients which were dissapointed when she moved away. I could no more fit a huge hairy in my tiny tub,or let my laundry room(bathing and drying are) get covered in 2' of hair,it would be D-I-V-O-R-C-E- LOL When she is ready for a dog I think she would love a good sibe. i'm having a bad day missing her and Zack today.

Comment

I have always had a talent for hairies, my firts boss noticed it. The fluing hair doesnt really bother me, but I do use my dog comb to brush out my hair before I leave the shop! To me it's basically the power an dtechnique of the HV blower. I use al sorts of patterns while drying up/down, back/forth, circular. Very few dogs have ever defeated me. The exceptions are the ahiries that are also extremly matted. I can dehair those dogs that have the funky dreads from spending lots of tiem out doors.I love the challenge. I love my Les Pooch products!

Comment

Originally posted by HOTW View Post
                          I have always had a talent for hairies, my firts boss noticed it. The fluing hair doesnt really bother me, but I do use my dog comb to brush out my hair before I leave the shop! To me it's basically the power an dtechnique of the HV blower. I use al sorts of patterns while drying up/down, back/forth, circular. Very few dogs have ever defeated me. The exceptions are the ahiries that are also extremly matted. I can dehair those dogs that have the funky dreads from spending lots of tiem out doors.I love the challenge. I love my Les Pooch products!
                          I agree with you HOTW: you sound like my daughter,she uses the hv,in all sorts of patterns,ins and outs,close and far, and voila! Those big hairies look super.It is a strong point for some groomers I guess. Mine is yorkie grooming,even though I am a poodle person, I have had to struggle for every inch of progress for many years to keep my poodle grooming up,but give me a messy lil' yorkie ,and I can make almost any of them look adorable.

Comment

happy hoody

What is a "happy hoody?"

Comment

Originally posted by 5SIBERIANS View Post
                              What is a "happy hoody?"
                              Here you are:

www.happyhoodie.com/index.html

it is a tube shaped terry type thing that fits around the head and ears of dogs that may help to calm them and help dampen the noise of the dryer.

Comment

Working...
                              X