UPDATE on every Tom, Jane and Sally thinking they can groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE on every Tom, Jane and Sally thinking they can groom

About the so called groomer that I said was so bad, well I found out that the local vet has put up a flyer in their office warning people not to go there. The place really is that bad. One lady called me to "FIX" her dogs and told me that they were all cut up and had gotten infections from the groom. I was glad to here that the vet was warning people.

I hear you, I pay my taxes, state inspected, 14 years under my belt. Yet some people go to this gal, pays no taxes, (all free money) and comes running into the vet clinic where I work with a DEAD dog she was grooming, she doesn't know what happen. I can't tell you how many I fix. Would love to turn her in, But fear what she would do to me and my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by hairlessdogmom View Post
      I hear you, I pay my taxes, state inspected, 14 years under my belt. Yet some people go to this gal, pays no taxes, (all free money) and comes running into the vet clinic where I work with a DEAD dog she was grooming, she doesn't know what happen. I can't tell you how many I fix. Would love to turn her in, But fear what she would do to me and my shop.
      What, are you afraid she would go postal and come in with a shotgun and redecorate the place?

If she is KILLING animals, TURN HER IN!

You can expect there will be several people on this board who will take HER side, though. After all, she is just a poor soul trying to make a living, and those licenses, school fees, and state tax registrations? That's just more money to feed a corrupt government! (tongue firmly in cheek)

Laura
      "With God's help, all things are possible!"
      Laura Lee Ray
      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

A freak accident can happen to anyone- a dog that just dies like what happened to PuppyFluffer. As has been mentioned before, everyone has gotten one haircut they were not happy with, a dinner out they thought was gross and not as advertised. These industries are regulated, inspected and scrutinized on regular basis. A shop that is hurting dogs, cutting them, maybe they are using a bad sharpener and don't realize that with better equipment they could groom more safely. Rather than drag her down and cause yourself more frustration, invite her to come for a day, take her to a show, loan her- or better yet buy her a gift of Jody Murphy's basic videos. Tell her you have noticed she is struggling and would love to help her learn more and do better.
        Of course there are those that don't give a care. One groomer I trained, I went to visit a couple of years later. She said she had a new way to do a schnz that saved her a lot of time. SHe took a 7 backwards, set the lines and did no blending. She was happy with the money she was making with her shortcuts and the customers were happy with the job, so everyone was happy.

Comment

Lucy, I like the way you think. Sometimes it's better to take that lemon and make lemonade. And you're so right, just because a dog died doesn't mean the groomer in question killed it. I've had a couple of dogs die on the table, too. They both had undiagnosed health issues, and if they had dropped dead on the vet's exam table instead of my grooming table, they'd still be dead.

As tempting as it sometimes is, we have to be careful about what we do and say. The vet mentioned in the OP could be cooking up a law suit if he's not careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
            Rather than drag her down and cause yourself more frustration, invite her to come for a day, take her to a show, loan her- or better yet buy her a gift of Jody Murphy's basic videos. Tell her you have noticed she is struggling and would love to help her learn more and do better.
            Liz, you are SUCH a nice person - always preferring to take the high road in an attempt to help someone' whether they deserve it or not. I wish I could say the same thing about myself....
            Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
            George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
              The vet mentioned in the OP could be cooking up a law suit if he's not careful.
              I was thinking the same thing. Not very smart of him, IMO.

Comment

Rather than drag her down and cause yourself more frustration, invite her to come for a day, take her to a show, loan her- or better yet buy her a gift of Jody Murphy's basic videos. Tell her you have noticed she is struggling and would love to help her learn more and do better.
                Wow, you are nice. LOL. I'm a very pleasant person but I'd never do that.
                That Tenacious Terrier!
                www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I am not usually so nice, but I have hit a wall on here after all the complaining about bad groomers. Those of us that care need to lead the industy and turn it around rather than whine about it. If you are really concerned, then do something about it. If it is just a matter of bad cuts, then some training would help if they are interested. Tell them about the tips you get, about the joy you find in your work. Jodi's got some free videos- just shipping and handling. Would you not pay $10 to see pets have a better grooming experience?
                  What about the injuries? Maybe they were never taught how to deal with dangerous dogs, but are scared to turn business away? Maybe they don't know there is a safer way to do things. Shoot, I had a dog I was handling in a safe manner tweak himself because he jumped while I had one leg off the table- he didn't fall, but he hopped over to the other side of the table and then he didn't feel so good.
                  So who made us GOD to say so and so should not be grooming until all avenues of improvement have been offered. Maybe a person gets into a thing and gets over their head and can't find the surface. Random acts of kindness can be done to our fellow human beings too. It might just make the world a better place.

OK< I will get off my soap box now. Sorry, I don't know what got into me lately.

Comment

Dogs do die on grooming tables without anything being done to them by a groomer that would cause their death. BUT...

It seems the groomer has a history of injuring animals according to the OP. Either the groomer does not know how to groom dogs, is using improperly maintained tools, or is being abusive. Pick one or more.

While it might be nice to provide free DVDs to a fellow groomer, I'm having enough troubles keeping my business solvent without spending good money to give another groomer educational materials at my expense. I don't think too many others on this board have those kind of resources, either. If the groomer in question is untrained, inexperienced, and doing "grooming" because "any idiot can cut hair" I doubt that a Jodi Murphy DVD would help. You can see how it's done, but if you don't have the proper tools to do the job, what is the sense of spending money on a DVD?

Pardon me if I seem abrupt or short, but my area has exploded with such "groomers" who will "groom" a dog for less than a human haircut. They don't bother with licenses, training, proper tools, shampoos or conditioners, and many of them I wouldn't trust with my hamster, much less a dog.

If I went out and did the "charitable" thing for every one of those "groomer" wannabees, knowing that NO ONE helped with my schooling, my apprenticeship, and establishing my business, MY business would suffer, and I would not be in business long. When these wannabees spend the bucks that I and others on this board had to spend to start and maintain a lawful and legitimate business, I might feel differently. But all I see is desperate people doing things on the cheap, taking money out of the hands of those who put in the time, got the training, made the investment in licenses and permits, tools, equipment and real estate for a LEGITIMATE grooming business. That sticks in my craw.

Being nice is okay to a point. When you are so nice you begin to slit your own throat, that is being TOO nice.
                    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                    Laura Lee Ray
                    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

I tried to offer help to a groomer I saw really struggling. I introduced myself, offered thie groomer a ride to the shows I was going to, let him know when Lisa Leady was coming to town. I tried not to make it sound like I was trying to help, just trying to share in my own love of further education, but he still seemed to take offense. I never offered to let him spend a day with me simply because I thought it might come off as condescending as in "hey I'm so much better, come watch how it's supposed to be done". That wouldn't be how I would have meant it, but I could see it being taken that way. He was new, had learned via an internet course and I was hoping some hands on stuff would help him. I have had a few people contact me about grooming, wanting to know about mobile, asking me questions about becoming a groomer and I always tell them, they are welcome anytime to ride along with me, but then they are the ones asking me for advice. It's hard sometimes to give advice when it isn't being asked for without the other person getting their knickers in a twist.
                      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

As tempting as it sometimes is, we have to be careful about what we do and say. The vet mentioned in the OP could be cooking up a law suit if he's not careful.

Believe me there is no love lost between groomers and vets around here, BUT in this case this vet is right and I don't think for one second they would lose a lawsuit over it. This ladies shop is nasty, no proper equipment, and after one conversation with her it was obvious that she knows nothing about dogs or grooming. I am quite pleased that the vet is warning people because I am tired of seeing the mutalated dogs. We are not talking bad haircuts, we are talking injuries.

I agree fully with kats melody. I have spent well over $30,000 on my schooling, training, equipment etc. I also have 3 more kids to put through college. I have no intentions of funding anothers groomers education. Let them pay for it themselves as I did.

Comment

Devils advocate here. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

This groomer is a grown adult living in a world full of resources she could take advantage of. She chooses not to do so. That is her choice.

My own mother is the type of person who thinks she can save the world and help everyone. In the process of pushing her "help" she has been burned over and over by people who have screwed up their own lives because of irresponsible choices they choose to make.

I'm all for helping people who come to me in a sincere effort or need to learn; you just have to draw the line somewhere.

Comment

Me again....Sorry, it's long as usual LOL!

I can't say anything either way about this groomer, as I don't know her.
                            I do know that I was unable to come up with the money, and the time away out of my province to attend a grooming school. However I did take a course through the mail that is advertised on this site. It didn't teach me everything I need to know, but it taught me a lot.
                            I have been fortunate to get some great advice from people on this board, and learn tips, and tricks for getting things done, and I appreciate everyone's help.
                            Beth (elizabeth) actually came for a visit a few weeks ago and was kind enough to lend me some of her things, she also found some stuff that came with her shop that she was not using, and gave it to me! she also went down to my grooming room and showed me how she does things, using one of my dogs, and I practice what she taught me.
                            I can't tell you how wonderful she was, kind, full of knowledge and willing to share. She is also letting me go over to her shop in the spring to spend time with her at her salon, so I can learn more. I understand that not everyone is able to help others, but I wish I could tell you the difference between my outlook before meeting her, and my new outlook. She is a very special woman and, an excellent groomer. I have had a similar offer from another groomer on this board, can you imagine?
                            I don't think Beth knows what her visit meant to me, but it is something I will never forget. I haven't put down my thinning shears since I hope to have a nicer pair in the future, but only after I get the hang of them! (I want a pair of those aggressive ones! LOL! )

So, although some people are happy with what they do day in and day out, I always want to improve. That's part of life, you live, you learn, and you hope when an opportunity arises that you can take advantage of it, and in turn pay it forward to someone in the future, and I hope someday I can repay Beth for her kindness. If I ever come into enough money to attend a grooming school, I'll be there, even if I am 60 at the time, and in turn I will be able to share what I learn with others too. If I win the lottery I'll also take a few friends with me, then grab Beth and head out to some shows so we can all go on a shopping spree!~ ( Then Beth and Nick will be getting new bikes...ah, I love to dream about a lotto win )

Oh, something else, although I am home based and new to grooming, I am a registered business, I do pay taxes, and I do have insurance, so don't be too quick to say that someone doing something out of their home, isn't paying taxes or trying to learn or is hurting the animals, some may just be starting out, and like me trying to do something they enjoy. Believe me, I once cut a dogs nail too short (my own dogs) and I cried for an hour!
                            I am sure there are some who don't follow the rules, but for those of us who are, it feels like we may be getting put into the same category, and that doesn't feel to good.

I hope everyone has a chance to meet Beth someday, or someone like her. She is an inspiration and would make an excellent teacher...hint hint! I would take any course she offered just to spend time around her, she is like a ray of sunshine the second she walks into the room, and it is contagious!

Oh, one more thing...I was actually approached for the very first time by the town I live in, as they wanted to promote my business, and they asked me if I would be willing to donate a nail trim for a fundraiser they are having, instead, I donated a full groom, and I felt good doing it!

Lisa
                            AKA Gluergirl/ Little_Critters on e-groomer

Comment

I am not usually so nice, but I have hit a wall on here after all the complaining about bad groomers. Those of us that care need to lead the industy and turn it around rather than whine about it.
                              Liz I would be proud to call you a friend.

I am happy to share my knowledge and experience to help other groomers, because I know I have just as much to learn from them. When you help out another groomer you are helping out the entire industry. Look at people like Scott Wasserman, Jodi Murphy and Sarah Hawks. They are so generous with the time and knowledge. Sarah looked at my photos of Dottie when I was looking to compete and gave me pointers of what I could improve. I talked to her on the phone FOREVER. There was nothing in it for her, she was just sharing her knowledge.

I totally stay away from calling other groomers "bad". We can never know the whole story. If there is something serious going on then "authorities" need to be contacted.
                              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                              X