Anyone wear............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone wear............

your rings while grooming? I never took my ring off for 22 years. Partly because I gained weight and getting it off was no easy task. I took it to the jeweler to fix the setting and they resized it for me. When I picked it up it looked better than new, ha! The lady told me not to wear it when washing cars, dogs, dishes, etc. Not to wear it to the gym or while working out since sweat isn't good for it. Which really means I can rarely wear my ring. Just wondering what ya'll do. Thanks!

Rings

I've been married 5 years now and have only taken my ring off a hand full of times, including when I go and get it re rhodium plated every 9 months or so. The last two times I have taken it in the prongs at the bottom have been bent to the top. They have told me they are shocked that I haven't lost my diamond yet.
    That would be devastating to me as there is no way we could ever replace it.
    So for valentines day my husband bought me a ring that I can just wear to work, It still haves a diamond in it and looks like I am married but I can keep my beautiful wedding set to wear while I am not at work.
    The ring he got me cost less than 200.00 and to me that is so so so worth keeping my set in tack.

As far as not wearing it while doing dishes or to the gym. When the heck would you wear it I mean in a perfect world sure but real people live real lives and you should be able to wear your ring.

Comment

I don't wear my rings. They always got hair caught in the setting, I was afraid that the hair would eventually pull the diamonds out.

Comment

I wear my engagement ring while I groom.. it's over 40 years old and really worn in but I've only been wearing it since last year. The diamond is flush with the gold so it never catches on anything. Going to get another made some time before the wedding though.

Comment

I don't have a diamond because I don't like them. But I do wear my tsavorite garnet all the time. The only time I take it off is when I'm making something like hamburger patties. Somehow the thought of raw meat getting trapped under the stone doesn't sound so good to me.

Whether you wear a piece of jewelry all the time or not should really depend on the stone and what type of setting. If the stone is reletively soft, like tanzanite, I wouldn't wear it all the time because I'd be afraid of cracking it. If the stone is treated in any way (most of them are) I'd be a little leary of wearing it all the time, too. And opal? Well, I learned the hard way not to wear it when making grape juice.

My tsavorite is hard, untreated, and I check the prongs on a regular basis, so I wear it all the time. I also have it insured, so if I do lose the stone I can have it replaced.

Which reminds me, if you insure your rings make sure you keep up on the appraisal. Gold, silver, and platinum prices are skyrocketing. Diamond prices are going up too. And if you have one of the single source gem stones, keep an eye on what's happening with them, too. Tanzanite is almost depleted, and the rough coming out of the ground is lighter in color and much of it is included. In 10 years or so it will be gone, and the price to replace one will be astronomical, if you can even find one.

Comment

Unless the rings are pearl sweat should'nt hurt them. Nver ever wear prong style rings doing dogs or house work, the prongs pull so easy, and diamonds are not cheap! Oh I was a jeweler before grooming. Ever see a ring with dried concrete on it? Not pretty.
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

There was just a thread about this asking if people wore their wedding rings.

yes and yes, I wear two rings, my wedding set (well, that's two rings but I count it as one) and the tanzanite ring my mom left me. Neither ever come off unless I am getting them cleaned or the prongs checked. I know in the other thread someone mentioned rangs being dnagerous to wear, I think they knew someone that had a severe injury dur to a ring. My rings have saved my fingers twice from bad bites. I HAD an opal ring I wore (figured all the bathing would keep it nice and moisturized LOL). Dog tried to bite me and got my ring instead. Smashed the opal, the ring bent a bit, but my finger was fine. Happened again with my wedding set. Nothing happened to the rings, my finger was fine, don't think the dog was planing on getting something that hard to chomp on though LOL.
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I never wear my rings (wedding band and engagement ring) while grooming. I'm too afraid something will happen. Also, platinum scratches really easily so I want to save myself from getting it polished all the time.
                Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

I wear my ring but I feel really bad about it. It's a heart shaved diamond with a band full of smaller diamonds. I'm always worried that one of them is going to fall out and, because of the way the heart shaped diamond is set, hair DOES get caught on it. However, the few times I tried taking it off for work, even a few times putting it on a necklace, I almost lost it. Once it fell out of my purse and once the necklace got yanked off by a dog and the ring went flying. The only other choice would be to leave it at home and I don't really have that kind of thought process when I'm trying to wake up in the morning. I'm really worried about the kind of effect wearing it at work is going to have on it so hopefully I'll find a solution soon. I'm thinking maybe a pill bottle that I can keep at work to put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                    Unless the rings are pearl sweat should'nt hurt them. Nver ever wear prong style rings doing dogs or house work, the prongs pull so easy, and diamonds are not cheap! Oh I was a jeweler before grooming. Ever see a ring with dried concrete on it? Not pretty.
                    Really? You think pearls are the only stones you should worry about? What about opal? I cracked mine when my dog grabbed my hand during play. And that was after I dyed it purple by accident. Don't wear opals when you're making grape juice, LOL. Or tanzanite? Even emerald seems more prone to cracking than I'd like, which is why I have chrome diopside and tsavorite instead of emerald.

Comment

I have a 7 diamond band I have worn about 12yrs and it has worn nice, no problems.

Comment

My fiance is a smart cookie. He bought me an engagement bracelet instead of a diamond ring. It's a unique piece and not a diamond to be seen (as I personally don't care for them). I do wear a silver ring with a piece of amber instead of a fancy engagement ring and I almost never take that off. No prongs to bend and amber isn't that horribly expensive to replace.

Comment

I have a 3/4 carat solitaire in a raised setting and a diamond eternity band with diamonds all the way around . .. . . both of which I have been told to never wear while doing housework or dogs or (whatever else).

I've only had these rings off my fingers a few times in 33 years. They ain't going anywhere. Hell, if you can't enjoy them every day, then what is the point of having them?

Comment

After 21 years of marriage, my old diamond ring finally let go of the diamond. It was a very small one and the rings were not super expensive as we didn't have that much money back then. In fact, my husband had always promised me a new set at our 20th anniversary. Finally after the diamond was lost, I got my new set. It came with a warranty where I have to take it in every 6 months and they polish and check everything. That way if anything happens, any diamonds are replaced free. I also wear a $10 ring with a German Shepherd head on it that I have had for at least 10-15 years, and a mother ring that is at least 10 years old. I wear them all the time unless I am making certain foods like dough or hamburgers. Never have had a problem with rings and I've groomed with them on for almost 28 years.

Comment

I dont wear mine any more to work. I was wearing a ring and my wedding band however twice during a lab shave down I got hair embedded into my ring finger and once under my ring. Once it got so infected I had to get it cut out and have antibiotics the dr said it was because the ring could have harbored bacteria and kept it onto the embedded hair. My hubby hates the thought of me not wearing a ring but the last dr bill was enough for him to see the light Also, my hair dresser had the same thing happen to her finger with an embedded hair.....

Comment

Working...
                              X